Null

In contentious interview, Biden says black voters considering Trump over him "ain't black"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joe-biden-black-voters-considering-trump/

Joe Biden defended his legislative record in an often contentious Friday morning interview with Charlamagne Tha God, the host of the popular radio show "The Breakfast Club," and argued that his presidential campaign was doing enough to reach out to black voters. At one point, Biden argued that black voters undecided on whether to vote for him or for President Trump "ain't black."

Later Friday in a phone call with members of the U.S. Black Chambers, a business organization, Biden sought to clarify and explain — but did not explicitly apologize — for the comments. 

"I should not have been so cavalier. I've never, never, ever taken the African American community for granted."

"I shouldn't have been such a wise guy. I shouldn't have been so cavalier. ... No one should have to vote for any party based on their race, their religion, their background," Biden said. "There are African Americans who think that Trump was worth voting for, I don't think so. I'm prepared to put my record against his. That was the bottom line and it was ah  — it was really unfortunate I shouldn't have been so cavalier."

In the interview with Charlamagne, the host asked Biden about comments from the rapper Sean Combs, who performs as Diddy, that Democrats take black voters for granted. Biden noted that he had won overwhelmingly in the South Carolina primary.

"I kicked everybody's — excuse me," Biden said, catching himself before he cursed.

"I need you to say that!" Charlamagne replied.

"I won every single county. I won the largest share of the black vote that anybody had, including Barack," Biden continued, noting that his home state of Delaware has the eighth largest black population in the country. "They're the folks that, as they say up my way, brung me to the dance. That's how I get elected every single time."

Biden also defended his support for the 1994 crime bill which implemented harsher penalties for minor drug offenses, and which exacerbated mass incarceration, affecting poor black communities in particular.

"The crime bill didn't increase mass incarceration, other things increased mass incarceration," Biden argued, noting that the Congressional Black Caucus at the time supported the bill.

Biden cited the "three strikes" rules and the mandatory sentences as something that President Clinton supported and he "opposed." Criminal justice experts have found that the bill both decreased crime and increased incarceration rates.

The presumptive Democratic nominee also offered that "no one should go to jail" for a drug crime, "particularly marijuana," and said he favors treatment over imprisonment.

"No one should be going to jail for a drug crime. Period," Biden said. When asked by Charlamagne why he supported decriminalizing marijuana instead of legalizing it outright, Biden said it was because there are ongoing studies on the long-term impact of marijuana use on the brain.

"I know a lot of weed smokers," Biden said.

Biden also "guaranteed" that he was considering a black woman to serve as his vice president. CBS News reported that Biden is vetting Amy Klobuchar, who is white, as a potential vice presidential pick. She is one of several contenders being scrutinized for the job by Biden aides.

"I guarantee you, there are multiple black women being considered. Multiple," Biden said.

Towards the end of the interview, a Biden staffer interrupted to say that the vice president was out of time.

"You can't do that to black media!" Charlamagne said.

"I do that to white media and black media," Biden replied. He promised to visit Charlamagne in New York and appear on "The Breakfast Club" again to answer more questions.

"If you have a problem figuring out if you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black," Biden said.

"It don't have nothing to do with Trump — it has to do with the fact that I want something for my community," Charlamagne countered. Biden replied that he should take a look at his voting record to see his longtime support for the black community.

Some black Republicans took issue with Biden's remark, including Michigan Senate candidate John James, who addressed Biden in a tweeted video: "You challenging me and millions of other people out there on their blackness, descendants of slaves, from you is some seriously condescending, out of touch bullcrap," and he questioned whether Biden should "even be running for president in the Democratic Party who says they're for black people." 

South Carolina Senator Tim Scott told reporters on a Trump campaign call, "I thought to myself, I've been black for 54 years. I was struck by the condescension and the arrogance." Scott urged his Senate colleagues to disavow Biden's remarks and added, "Race baiting in the 21st century is an ineffective tool to attract one of the most intelligent voting blocs in the nation. He should respect African-American voters as individuals, not as a part of a group or a monolithic group of people."

Biden senior adviser Symone D. Sanders later clarified Biden's remarks, saying they were made in "jest."

"The comments made at the end of the Breakfast Club interview were in jest, but let's be clear about what the VP was saying: he was making the distinction that he would put his record with the African American community up against Trump's any day. Period," Sanders wrote on Twitter.

"The Breakfast Club" has become a popular venue for politicians looking to reach out to black listeners. Biden has recently appeared on other shows which cater primarily to a black audience, such as the show "Desus & Mero" on Showtime.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're making the mistake of thinking this election is about Biden at all.  It's not.  November is a referendum on Trump.  The vote isn't about being for Biden.  It's about being for or against Trump.

Biden's campaign managers should just hide him away in a basement somewhere so he can't open his mouth and ruin his chances. Trump's mouth is Biden's campaign best friend.

It could have been worded better, but then again he will only see what he wants to see. 

My opinion is Biden will not be the democratic nominee. But if he does he will get slaughtered by a doofus. 

• Like 1

You'd think that with this Biden guy doing nothing but cowering in his basement and repeating canned speeches his handlers could keep him from revealing the extent of his early stage dementia. Apparently, that's a bigger job than has been suspected.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

You'd think that with this Biden guy doing nothing but cowering in his basement and repeating canned speeches his handlers could keep him from revealing the extent of his early stage dementia. Apparently, that's a bigger job than has been suspected.

Eh, "Joe Biden" and the word "gaffe" have a solid relationship going back decades now. Everyone knew what we were getting into. FWIW he did apologize. 

He did a nice long interview with Colbert the other evening. He doesn't come off as the blubbering puddle of dementia you guys so desperately want him to be. 

14 hours ago, creed said:

My opinion is Biden will not be the democratic nominee. But if he does he will get slaughtered by a doofus. 

Barring some sort of health catastrophe, he's the nominee.

And he won't get slaughtered.

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

FWIW he did apologize. 

He said that he was too cavalier, that’s a Harvey Updyke type of apology.  He didn’t apologize to the million or so African Americans that voted for Trump in 2016.

13 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

He said that he was too cavalier, that’s a Harvey Updyke type of apology.  He didn’t apologize to the million or so African Americans that voted for Trump in 2016.

Cavalier was a good choice of word there.

"I don't take it for granted at all, and no one, no one should have to vote for any party based on their race or religion or background."

That seems pretty cut and dry.

Won't amount to much. Biden is still extremely popular among black voters and is going to win that demographic pretty handily one way or another. Being Obama's VP will do that. Plus it's possible his VP pick will be a woman of color.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, AUDub said:

"I don't take it for granted at all, and no one, no one should have to vote for any party based on their race or religion or background."

Won't amount to much. Biden is still extremely popular among black voters and is going to win that demographic pretty handily one way or another. Being Obama's VP will do that. Plus it's possible his VP pick will be a woman of color.

In my opinion he has created "doubt" in the thoughts of his party/constituency and doubt keeps people from voting. I don't think he will get the turnout President Obama or Clinton had at the poles.

Too add. It will be interesting going forward to see how much support he gets from Obama.

Edited by creed
12 minutes ago, creed said:

In my opinion he has created "doubt" in the thoughts of his party/constituency and doubt keeps people from voting. I don't think he will get the turnout President Obama or Clinton had at the poles.

Too add. It will be interesting going forward to see how much support he gets from Obama.

Nah he'll likely exceed Clinton's turnout in the swings just by virtue of not being her. She was deeply unpopular in ways that Biden is not, as evidenced by the primaries. Also, voter enthusiasm is a thing and all that, but people don't need to be enthused about him if they're enthusiastic about beating Trump. 

Obama is going to go to bat for him hard. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I guess time will tell.  I personally hope he pick Stacey Abrams for his VP pick.  She seems stable.  :drippingsarcasm7pa:

ETA:  I think he is obligated to pick a women of color now.

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1
1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Eh, "Joe Biden" and the word "gaffe" have a solid relationship going back decades now. Everyone knew what we were getting into. FWIW he did apologize. 

He did a nice long interview with Colbert the other evening. He doesn't come off as the blubbering puddle of dementia you guys so desperately want him to be. 

That's a refreshing change in itself.  Imagine a POTUS who is even remotely willing to admit he screwed up.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I guess time will tell.  I personally hope he pick Stacey Abrams for his VP pick.

I think every Pubbie in America is on the Stacy for Veep train. She'll cost the Dems four or five million votes simply because of that abrasive personality. She ain't much in the brain department either. Lose by 50,000 votes in one of the the heaviest turnouts in history and claim voter suppression? LMAO! But, she's a fit for the Dems. Fits right in with the crybaby sore losers.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think every Pubbie in America is on the Stacy for Veep train. She'll cost the Dems four or five million votes simply because of that abrasive personality. She ain't much in the brain department either. Lose by 50,000 votes in one of the the heaviest turnouts in history and claim voter suppression? LMAO! But, she's a fit for the Dems. Fits right in with the crybaby sore losers.

You don't have any standing to be criticizing anyone regarding the "brain department".  :rolleyes:

The only thing more ironic is for a Trump supporter - such as yourself - criticizing any politician because of an "abrasive personality".  :lmao:

'Textbook voter suppression': Georgia's bitter election a battle years in the making

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/10/georgia-election-recount-stacey-abrams-brian-kemp

Edited by homersapien
3 hours ago, homersapien said:

"brain department"

Uncle Joe makes it through a 50 minute softball interview and some folks are celebrating. If elected could be the shortest presidency in history of the nation. For the votes understand he "must have a woman of color". Why not the best person available?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Trump voter calls another politician “Abrasive” as an insult. Why don’t you just call her “uppity”, Mikey?

12 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Trump voter calls another politician “Abrasive” as an insult. Why don’t you just call her “uppity”, Mikey?

Mikey is irony blind. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Never heard of her until she ran for governor, lost and refused to accept the results. Think she was a state rep. Do you think should would make a good president Tex?

26 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I don’t know if trump can be classified as abrasive, technically speaking I’m not sure the grit size gets that coarse. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Never heard of her until she ran for governor, lost and refused to accept the results. Think she was a state rep. Do you think should would make a good president Tex?

She’d probably be better than most, but I wouldn’t pick her as VP. Wish she’d run for Senator. But never have found her “abrasive.” Not even remotely. Trump on the other hand...

• Like 1

Asked if she would make a good president? In my mind sorta what we are looking at with Joe's running mate.

Yep, Trump is abrasive and has a knack and style for getting away with it, even having many people like it. Why do you think that is?

7 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Asked if she would make a good president? In my mind sorta what we are looking at with Joe's running mate.

Yep, Trump is abrasive and has a knack and style for getting away with it, even having many people like it. Why do you think that is?

I think folks who actually “like” and cheer on his worst behavior  must use him to channel their inner a**holeness. People who cheer him on are damaged in some way. That’s not all who vote for him, but those who embrace and defend him.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Because I meant what I said, she's abrasive. Also, a sore loser. Reminds me of a bammer: "I didn't get whupped fair and square by 50,000 votes. Somebody cheated!"

Watching Biden is becoming more and more painful. I wonder why his family members don't step in and make the poor guy get out of this mess before he embarrasses himself even more?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Watching Biden is becoming more and more painful. I wonder why his family members don't step in and make the poor guy get out of this mess before he embarrasses himself even more?

Such ironical delusion.

• Like 1