Architect of NYT's 1619 project draws distinction between 'politically black and racially black'

Auburn85

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/may/22/nikole-hannah-jones-1619-project-draws-distinction/

New York Times luminary Nikole Hannah-Jones, architect of the Pulitzer Prize-winning 1619 Project, touched off a social-media uproar Friday after drawing a distinction between being “politically black and being racially black.”

“There is a difference between being politically black and being racially black,” tweeted Ms. Hannah-Jones. “I am not defending anyone, but we all know this and should stop pretending that we don’t.”

Despite insisting that she was not defending “anyone,” Ms. Hannah-Jones made her comments shortly after former Vice President Joseph R. Biden suggested that only Democrat-voting blacks are truly black in a heated exchange with radio host Charlamagne Tha God.

“I’ll tell you, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or for Trump, then you ain’t black,” said Mr. Biden.

Ms. Hannah-Jones deleted her tweet because “the racist trolls are here,” but also responded to critics who accused her of demeaning black voters who support conservatives, as captured in a thread on Twitchy.

“I don’t think he was saying you are not racially black, or racially black enough if you vote for Trump. I think he was speaking about politics, yes,” tweeted Ms. Hannah-Jones on her “Ida Bae Wells” account.

She added that Mr. Biden, the putative 2020 Democratic presidential nominee, was “clearly saying no black person would vote for a white nationalist with his policies,” apparently referring to Mr. Trump.

17 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Nope, he said “then you ain’t black”...and that’s exactly what he meant. 

It’s interesting that the people that are telling us what Biden meant to say are the same ones that swear Trump said to drink bleach.  Very entertaining.

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It’s interesting that the people that are telling us what Biden meant to say are the same ones that swear Trump said to drink bleach.  Very entertaining.

Exactly!!! 

43 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Biden meant exactly what he said at the time.   So did Trump.

The difference is that Biden realized he made a mistake and owned up to it.

33 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Biden meant exactly what he said at the time.   So did Trump.

The difference is that Biden realized he made a mistake and owned up to it.

This actually doesn’t have anything to do with Trump or Biden, it’s the reaction of their fan bases that is so entertaining.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

This actually doesn’t have anything to do with Trump or Biden, it’s the reaction of their fan bases that is so entertaining.

I was responding to your post.  You introduced the comparison.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I was responding to your post.  You introduced the comparison.

I was comparing the reaction to what each had to say, not that they said it. 

22 hours ago, Auburn85 said:

Does someone who is a white nationalist really care about criminal justice reform or with increasing funding for historically black colleges?

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I was comparing the reaction to what each had to say, not that they said it. 

Perhaps Biden's prompt apology figured into that. :rolleyes:

Regardless, tell us exactly what you found "interesting" about the contrast in reactions?

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Perhaps Biden's prompt apology figured into that. :rolleyes:

Regardless, tell us exactly what you found "interesting" about the contrast in reactions?

There was no contrasting reactions, both groupies defended their candidates as if nothing they said was wrong.  Coming from opposite ends of the spectrum and yet reacting the same was interesting to me.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

There was no contrasting reactions, both groupies defended their candidates as if nothing they said was wrong.  Coming from opposite ends of the spectrum and yet reacting the same was interesting to me.

Par for the course!! Yet delightfully entertaining!! 

18 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Well, one of those candidates admitted he was wrong. So that set of "groupies" weren't required to defend him by saying it wasn't. 

For example, I personally thought Biden was wrong and made a mistake.  But I am fine with his admission of error.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, one of those candidates admitted he was wrong. So that set of "groupies" weren't required to defend him by saying it wasn't. 

For example, I personally thought Biden was wrong and made a mistake.  But I am fine with his admission of error.

Well, the *groupies* sure were defending him on all the news shows this weekend.  They took about 4 hours and defended him and then shut it down as it that is all that was required.  The media will shame anyone that brings it up in the future, however, I expect Trump to bring it up in the campaign. 

Archived