Minneapolis police kill unresisting black man

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The officer and 4 others have been fired. Wonder if there will be any charges. 

This was sickening. He kept his knee planted in his neck for eight minutes. ( the article read it was eight)

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

This was sickening. He kept his knee planted in his neck for eight minutes. ( the article read it was eight)

No excuse. It was a homicide.

That was hard to watch.  Put your knee in his back, not on his neck.  Especially on the curb like that. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

That was hard to watch.  Put your knee in his back, not on his neck.  Especially on the curb like that. 

I’m ok with putting your knee wherever you need to to gain control of a resisting suspect. But you get control, cuff him and get the **** up. I can’t stand to hear a harmless person plead for air. 

What that angle doesn't show is that there are 2 other officers holding the rest of his body down as well. What infuriates me even more is the cop has the audacity to have his hands in his pockets the whole F time!  It's so hard to continually watch men that look like me continually go through this. Bad enough we have to deal with a virus, so much death, people without jobs, food and shelter and now this mess. It's just so freaking exhausting sometimes. I don't watch much news as it is but i'll certainly be taking a long break from the news. I just found it to be a spirit killer. 

I know health and safety of all is more important that sports but man sports is so needed right now. I hope it comes back VERY soon!

3 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

What that angle doesn't show is that there are 2 other officers holding the rest of his body down as well. What infuriates me even more is the cop has the audacity to have his hands in his pockets the whole F time!  It's so hard to continually watch men that look like me continually go through this. Bad enough we have to deal with a virus, so much death, people without jobs, food and shelter and now this mess. It's just so freaking exhausting sometimes. I don't watch much news as it is but i'll certainly be taking a long break from the news. I just found it to be a spirit killer. 

I know health and safety of all is more important that sports but man sports is so needed right now. I hope it comes back VERY soon!

Dude, I'm sorry. I know that doesn't accomplish anything but I'm compelled to say it anyway. I'm sorry and I'm sad. 

That is murder and there's no other way to look at it. It's sickening that this is going on. I understand there are times when an officer will need to use force to control but useless force is something entirely different. 

Firing isn't close to enough. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Dude, I'm sorry. I know that doesn't accomplish anything but I'm compelled to say it anyway. I'm sorry and I'm sad. 

Ditto this.

24 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Maybe now we can finally put to rest the debate over why Kaepernick took a knee.

These riots are the epitome of why I support Kapernick. 

On 5/26/2020 at 3:15 PM, AUDub said:

The officer and 4 others have been fired. Wonder if there will be any charges. 

Likely and justified from what I've seen.

6 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Just read that Trump has ordered the FBI and Justice Department to investigate. 

Good

29 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Just read that Trump has ordered the FBI and Justice Department to investigate. 

Should be pretty easy. Autopsy and body cameras should rap it up. 

29 minutes ago, alexava said:

Should be pretty easy. Autopsy and body cameras should rap it up. 

True, but I’m hoping their involvement makes sure that they have an airtight case and the officer gets the maximum allowable penalty. 

And there needs to be a very serious look into the systems we have in place. I know this crap has being going on for , well at least the whole existence of the USA and who knows how long before. But to still have cops that do this type of stuff is atrocious. I know there are bad apple cops but damn, there’s just too much of this going on. I don’t know if there is a systematic failure in how officers are screened or is there just a culture within departments that allows this to develop and sustain itself. But whatever it is, it needs to be exposed and eradicated. 

Hate isn’t inherited, it’s a taught behavior passed  down from generation to generation and fueled by ignorance. It’s great to show support for Kapernick and raise awareness and fight for the cause, but truly will never be enough. Somehow we have to stop the cycle, sadly we won’t see it in my lifetime or possibly my children’s lifetime.

I was raised by my parents to not see color and have raised my girls the same way. Hopefully they will continue as such and if others of all races and cultures can do the same one day I hope it makes a difference for future generations. 

I don’t care if my idea of investigating our police system makes sense or is rational or feasible. As a human, I’m disgusted and upset about this and needed to vent. 

Well I just saw the video from a sidewalk camera at a business. It started before the cops even got there. There was very little physical resistance. I’m not sure there’s any at all until they tried to put him in the car. And that was just a few seconds. It’s not easy to see because they walked him across the street. But if anyone is looking to blame the victim for resisting, they have their work cut out. 

35 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

True, but I’m hoping their involvement makes sure that they have an airtight case and the officer gets the maximum allowable penalty. 

And there needs to be a very serious look into the systems we have in place. I know this crap has being going on for , well at least the whole existence of the USA and who knows how long before. But to still have cops that do this type of stuff is atrocious. I know there are bad apple cops but damn, there’s just too much of this going on. I don’t know if there is a systematic failure in how officers are screened or is there just a culture within departments that allows this to develop and sustain itself. But whatever it is, it needs to be exposed and eradicated. 

Hate isn’t inherited, it’s a taught behavior passed  down from generation to generation and fueled by ignorance. It’s great to show support for Kapernick and raise awareness and fight for the cause, but truly will never be enough. Somehow we have to stop the cycle, sadly we won’t see it in my lifetime or possibly my children’s lifetime.

I was raised by my parents to not see color and have raised my girls the same way. Hopefully they will continue as such and if others of all races and cultures can do the same one day I hope it makes a difference for future generations. 

I don’t care if my idea of investigating our police system makes sense or is rational or feasible. As a human, I’m disgusted and upset about this and needed to vent. 

Personally I think it’s impossible not to see color. I think we are all racist to some degree. It’s those who can’t acknowledge it that worry me. 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

Personally I think it’s impossible not to see color. I think we are all racist to some degree. It’s those who can’t acknowledge it that worry me. 

I think everyone has an inherent prejudice, but not racist. There’s a big difference there. Not seeing color is a figure of speech, it has more to do with how one acts on any prejudice they may have and the ability to see past it. 

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Beyond racism. That is some very sick and stupid officers. Hard to imagine that scene for 8 or 9 minutes and no intervention. 

I told my wife she would've had to bail me out for assault if I had seen that. No way I could've stood by for that long watching him lie there dying.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I told my wife she would've had to bail me out for assault if I had seen that. No way I could've stood by for that long watching him lie there dying.

I second that. It’s even more appalling that three other officers stood by and let it continue. 

I’ve been going through that in my mind. There’s nothing you can do without getting similar treatment or worse. I’m glad enough that the spectators spoke their minds. 

25 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Beyond racism. That is some very sick and stupid officers. Hard to imagine that scene for 8 or 9 minutes and no intervention. 

That guy didn’t just become an a**hole yesterday. He’s probably just been lucky nobody has died. But he sees phones and cameras everywhere. What else could be done to deter that from happening. 

Archived