Minneapolis police kill unresisting black man

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

3rd-degree murder as the highest charge? Interesting. The same categorical charge one would receive in Minnesota for selling "bad" drugs to another, after said drugs result in death. 

Correct me if my cursory reading of their criminal statutes is wrong. 

Basically manslaughter. 

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

It should be a higher charge than that I would think. I would like to hear their reasoning for those level of charges.

2nd degree murder? That'll be hard to prove. Got depraved indifference,  but not intent. 

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

This is so......every month it's something, there's literally no value for the life of a black man right now. It's scary, you can be killed in broad day and people will say you should just comply, or they'll dig up something from your past and say something like he was suspended for fighting when he was in the 5th grade he doesn't have character. You can't exercise, study, swim, go to the store, grill, etc....And half the people don't want to talk about it or address it; and the other half won't acknowledge it to say it even exist. 

I don't see that happening this time Cole. On this forum and other social media, the ones that always defend the killers have so far stayed silent, or came out and agreed about the injustice.

The 3rd degree whatever crap is a joke, if you are causing a man to die slowly and listen indifferently to him as he pleas for his life for minutes on end... that's just evil.

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

2nd degree murder? That'll be hard to prove. Got depraved indifference,  but not intent. 

You try to go for more and end up with an acquittal like the Madison cop that paralyzed the Indian grandfather.

Im quite certain I saw evil in his eyes. But I would bet he’s done that s*** many times before and just been lucky not to have killed anyone. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

You try to go for more and end up with an acquittal like the Madison cop that paralyzed the Indian grandfather.

Im quite certain I saw evil in his eyes. But I would bet he’s done that s*** many times before and just been lucky not to have killed anyone. 

His eyes told me he didn't think he was kneeling on a person.  They were just...cold.

I agree, but damn. It just feels like he’s getting off too easy with 3rd degree. 

15 minutes ago, savorytiger said:

His eyes told me he didn't think he was kneeling on a person.  They were just...cold.

Hands in pockets too. 

There actually is a how-to manual on the subject of racism and other everyday things we face. My wife likes to say that BIBLE stands for Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. I know some on here probably get tired of some of us giving a religious viewpoint but I can't apologize for that, it's the way I try to live now.

We. Are. The. Same. 

Acts 10:34-35

“God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.”

Acts 17:26

“And He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth.”

3 hours ago, Mims44 said:

I don't see that happening this time Cole. On this forum and other social media, the ones that always defend the killers have so far stayed silent, or came out and agreed about the injustice.

The 3rd degree whatever crap is a joke, if you are causing a man to die slowly and listen indifferently to him as he pleas for his life for minutes on end... that's just evil.

You don't see what happening?

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You don't see what happening?

The plethora of people defending the indefensible. 

Lotsa people I see posting about this whose topics are usually filled with the "ya, but he shoulda complied" or "let's hear the cops side" or "he's a thug and that's what happens".... I'm not seeing that with this case.

It could change, sure. But at the moment, everything I'm seeing is people in defense of this dude who was murdered by a POS. Even in this thread, unless I missed it, no one is defending this garbage ass cop.

26 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Lotsa people I see posting about this whose topics are usually filled with the "ya, but he shoulda complied" or "let's hear the cops side" or "he's a thug and that's what happens".... I'm not seeing that with this case.

It could change, sure. But at the moment, everything I'm seeing is people in defense of this dude who was murdered by a POS. Even in this thread, unless I missed it, no one is defending this garbage ass cop.

You have to really look. You almost have to want to find it. Look on the comments section of “Blue lives Matter “. By and large you are correct. It takes a real sickness to spin this. 

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Well you're lucky but I've had that and of course the silent to say anything about the murder but want to talk about the looters. Now I will say on this thread, I'll agree to that....but society is totally different. I'll give you a few screenshots of my Facebook today

40 minutes ago, alexava said:

You have to really look. You almost have to want to find it. Look on the comments section of “Blue lives Matter “. By and large you are correct. It takes a real sickness to spin this. 

No they just use the riots to attack. You still have people that say well what was he doing before, and I've been told a couple of times that the policeman didn't mean the man killed any harm. You still get the racism doesn't exist, playing the race card, black on black crime, you get the everybody is racist and all lives matter; you see the president called the people thugs, I have seen people refer to the protesters as animals.....and the most disappointing of them all complete silence. 

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Hands in pockets too. 

You could see in that guys face he was enjoying the moment. No humanity in him at all.

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well you're lucky but I've had that and of course the silent to say anything about the murder but want to talk about the looters. Now I will say on this thread, I'll agree to that....but society is totally different. I'll give you a few screenshots of my Facebook today

To both of ya.... I get it. Those people exist. 350M in USA and Billions in the world that can comment on it via the web. There are gonna be those types around. I'm just sayin', if you compare it to say... Trayvon Martin and the number of people defending a murderer then compared to this.... it's not close.

TM is just a case plucked off the top of my head by the way, you can substitute it with any highly visual case recently and it's still true.

It’s been pretty unanimous of everyone I know in person and on my Facebook feed that this is intolerable and all feel that the officer should get more severe charges than 3rd degree murder. 

13 hours ago, AUDub said:

not arguing but to me to me the charges made it worse. that cop killed that man because he did not care. to me that is the bottom line. i also have another theory but folks will laugh but years ago i read the white hate groups were infiltrating the police force and even the military to learn military tactics. same with gang members. anyway trumps big mouth has not helped. you kill a man on purpose or not like he is an animal and trump comes out and says they are good people after what happened and then the shooting starts......again like they are animals is pretty bad. if i keep seeing my people murdered and little to no justice done i would think about hitting the streets. i would just make sure i did not have to run anywhere.......

In threatening to use the military to shoot down looters in Minneapolis, President Trump was employing a phrase apparently coined by a Miami police chief in 1967, when his city was in the throes of protests over the department’s use of “stop and frisk” tactics that targeted African-Americans. 

Trump’s post-midnight tweet Friday, later repeated by the official White House account, drew widespread condemnation from almost across the political spectrum — from presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden to the far-right quasi-militia Oath Keepers, whose members are drawn from the ranks of law enforcement and the military.

“These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won’t let that happen,” tweeted Trump early Friday morning. “Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!”

Twitter added a notice to the tweet that users had to click through in order to read the president’s post. The message read: “This Tweet violated the Twitter Rules about glorifying violence. However, Twitter has determined that it may be in the public’s interest for the Tweet to remain accessible.” 

The phrase about looting and shooting apparently originated with Miami Police Chief Walter Headley in 1967, during violent protests over police treatment of minorities, including a notorious incident in which officers dangled a black teenager from a bridge over a river. The quote and policies are viewed as having sparked race riots in the city the following year. They were later endorsed by Spiro Agnew, the Republican candidate for vice president in 1968. Agnew later explained that he only meant to endorse shooting looters who were “running from arrest.”

Later Friday, Trump tweeted an intended clarification, saying his point was that “looting leads to shooting,” and the warning was meant as a “fact, not as a statement.” 

Following the tweet, Trump held an event on Friday afternoon to discuss policy with Hong Kong and China but did not take questions.

The Twin Cities have been rocked by demonstrations that turned violent Thursday over the death of George Floyd, who died after Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin knelt on his neck Monday. Floyd, who was unarmed and handcuffed on the ground at the time, was heard on video repeatedly saying, “I can’t breathe.” Chauvin and three other officers present during the incident were immediately fired. Chauvin was arrested Friday afternoon and charged with third-degree murder. The other three officers have not been arrested.

Trump’s comments received pushback from many sources.

“I will not lift the President’s tweet,” wrote Biden in response Friday morning. “I will not give him that amplification. But he is calling for violence against American citizens during a moment of pain for so many. I’m furious, and you should be too.”

“This is no time for incendiary tweets; it’s no time to encourage violence,” said Biden in an afternoon live stream without mentioning Trump by name. “This is a national crisis. We need leadership right now. Leadership that will bring everyone to the table so we can take measures to root out systemic racism.”

“I did not know he was going to tweet; he certainly can,” said Gov. Tim Walz, D-Minn. “It's just not helpful. The city of Minneapolis is doing everything they can. If mistakes are made and there’s accountability, we need to do that, but in the moment where we’re at, in a moment that is so volatile, anything we do to add fuel to that fire is really, really challenging. I spoke to the president, he pledged his support of anything we need in terms of supplies to get to us — there’s a way to do this without inflaming."

A shop was set on fire on Thursday, during the third day of protests over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. (Jordan Strowder/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

A shop was set on fire on Thursday, during the third day of protests over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. (Jordan Strowder/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

“National Guardsman would be DUTY BOUND to refuse those orders to shoot people for stealing,” said the Oath Keepers in a statement. “Arson, yes, since it’s deadly. Stealing? I’m sure we’ll catch grief over stating this, but it needed to be said. Right [is] right, wrong is wrong. We have laws, and the Supreme Law of the Land is the U.S. Constitution. It was wrong to shoot looters in New Orleans during Katrina, and men went to jail for doing it. No. President Trump, you have a good chance to do the right thing here, to be sure justice is done. Don’t be on the wrong side of history.” 

Singer Taylor Swift’s tweet criticizing the president garnered over 150,000 retweets. 

“After stoking the fires of white supremacy and racism your entire presidency, you have the nerve to feign moral superiority before threatening violence? ‘When the looting starts the shooting starts’??? We will vote you out in November,” wrote Swift.

Sean Hannity’s website took a different approach, focused on criticism of Trump’s use of “thugs” to describe the protesters — pointing out that after riots in Baltimore in 2015, President Barack Obama had referred to “a handful of criminals and thugs who tore up the place.” 

someone needs to point out that obama was not a racist and got the benefit of the doubt.

anyone else notice how few of the regulars on these boards have not said a word about any of this? not sure about the rest of you but it makes me wonder.

9 hours ago, Mims44 said:

To both of ya.... I get it. Those people exist. 350M in USA and Billions in the world that can comment on it via the web. There are gonna be those types around. I'm just sayin', if you compare it to say... Trayvon Martin and the number of people defending a murderer then compared to this.... it's not close.

TM is just a case plucked off the top of my head by the way, you can substitute it with any highly visual case recently and it's still true.

Well I'm not going to argue, I can just tell you what I've experienced and I can tell you the overall tone. Now it's up to you to believe it or not or you can trick yourself to think it's different. I would bet all the money that I have though the same people that said the things that they said in every other case now either just want to talk about a riot or there's a huge but somewhere in the sentence he shouldn't have been killed....BUT.....

And lastly the silence, people that you know that have an opinion on the smallest of issues now are absent. Those patriots that just want justice and they don't care about color that will rip your head off if you even suggest that it a situation could have been handled better....nothing

But what do I know I bring up examples and show differences and I'm told this doesn't even exist...I'm just living it I guess you all can think I'm still lying about it or some of you know better of what you see....my question was always why would you think you would see it if you're not a minority? Why do you think millions of people are lying to you? But that's just me.

17 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I have no words man other than I'm sorry. 

The one thing I have been heartened by on a small scale is the reaction to a friend of mine.  He's a former Lieutenant that now travels the country training cops on proper techniques, communication, etc.  Dude is beyond pissed about what he saw on video in Minneapolis.  Just hope that more like him continue to push for the change needed systematically.

Thanks man, I know he has a hard task ahead of him but something certainly has to change

16 hours ago, Mims44 said:

He will be out before the warranty runs out on his car.

if anyone doubts the severity of this go to cop block and watch a few video's. it is heart breaking. it is mostly minorities but the one video i watched was the last one. a kid who was mentally ill and homeless was found to have mail in his backpack he found in a dumpster. they made him sit on a curb ans cross his legs. he was real nervous and kept forgetting even tho he was very respectful. they beat him to death and you could hear him crying and begging for his momma and his daddy.what really sucks is this kids dad was a cop. it went to court and they got away with it. an elderly couple driving home from church get pulled over. they beat the old mans ass and sprayed his wife in the face with pepper spray while she was in the car. i have not visited the site in a few years because of that young man{i call all young people kids} begging for his mama to help him.

i want to say i blame trump for a whole lot of this crap. it has always happened but anyone that does not believe he made it worse has issues.

7 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

It’s been pretty unanimous of everyone I know in person and on my Facebook feed that this is intolerable and all feel that the officer should get more severe charges than 3rd degree murder. 

Count me in on the officer getting more severe charges, and also stiff charges for his 3 cronies for not stopping the killing. Not one of them had the decency to stand him down and redirect the situation. Meanwhile, a full investigation should take place to find out why someone with 18 complaints against him was still wearing a badge. The most frightening thing about the whole situation: This was done in broad daylight with multiple witnesses present, while being filmed. No telling what goes on with these psychos when no one is around and filming. 

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i want to say i blame trump for a whole lot of this crap. it has always happened but anyone that does not believe he made it worse has issues.

Amen. 

Archived