Auburn Flashback - Down goes Brodie

StatTiger

On November 19, 2005, the Auburn Tigers hosted the 9-1 Alabama Crimson Tide, who was coming off their first loss of the season at the hands of the LSU Tigers. Alabama was ranked No. 8 and was still alive in the race to win the SEC-West but needed LSU to lose one of their two remaining conference games. Because Auburn had surrendered 27 points to Kentucky and 30 points to Georgia during their last two games, many thought Auburn’s defense was the cure Alabama needed to their offensive woes. Not only would this not play out in favor of the Crimson Tide, but the Auburn defense also rose to have one of its most dominating performances in years.

When the dust cleared, Auburn would hold Alabama to just 188-yards in total offense, recording 11 sacks against Brodie Croyle, Alabama’s starting quarterback. Of Alabama’s 188-yards of total-offense, 102-yards came during the last two possessions, when the game had already been decided. Bama gained only 86 yards of total offense during their first 12 possessions of the game. The outcome, for the most part, was over by the end of the first quarter. Auburn's first-quarter performance was their best in their long-heated rivalry with the Crimson Tide.

Auburn held Alabama to four consecutive “3 & outs” to start the game as the Tide netted minus-46 yards on 12 plays, while Auburn scored three touchdowns to go up 21-0 during the opening period. The eleven sacks recorded by the Auburn defense have not since been duplicated. Auburn has competed in 184 games since the 2005 Iron Bowl, with seven sacks being the most sacks since dumping Croyle eleven times. This Auburn Flashback highlights the 2005 Iron Bowl and how dominant the Auburn defense was on that day.

https://youtu.be/-R1PxoZ_fVg

@StatTiger I would like to personally Thank You for taking the time to make these Videos and post them for us to watch. You have made this quarantine a lot more bearable. Thank You, sir!

14 minutes ago, WVR said:

@StatTiger I would like to personally Thank You for taking the time to make these Videos and post them for us to watch. You have made this quarantine a lot more bearable. Thank You, sir!

You are more than welcome and I’m glad you have enjoyed them.

Two things watching that: 1) Classic Tubershell- after the first 10 minutes I thought we were going to hang “half a hundred” on them (as Switzer used to say).... and we should have 2)damn I miss having a guy on the edge like we had in Groves and The Predator. Fun to rewatch although I felt sorry for Croyle that day; his line was absolutely atrocious

I can still remember watching that game like it was yesterday. I thought we were going to blow them out but it ended up looking closer than it actually was. So much fun watching the sackfest. These days I have much respect for Brodie though. I am a huge fan of the Big Oak Ranch of which he is now the executive director. Football is a game but he's doing something with those young people there that really makes a difference in their lives. 

It wasn’t Brodie’s fault.  It wasn’t like he was holding onto the ball too long on many of those sacks the D line beat him to where the “pocket” was intended to be.  Once Auburn got the big lead the D line was just teeing off every play because they knew they had to try to pass to get back in the game.  Even though he was the Bammer QB I almost felt sorry for the kid getting beat up like that. 

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

It wasn’t Brodie’s fault.  It wasn’t like he was holding onto the ball too long on many of those sacks the D line beat him to where the “pocket” was intended to be.  Once Auburn got the big lead the D line was just teeing off every play because they knew they had to try to pass to get back in the game.  Even though he was the Bammer QB I almost felt sorry for the kid getting beat up like that. 

Almost ❤️

This game was the birth of the sports meme. There were numerous ones generated. I saved a bunch of them...will have to dig them out. 

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

This game was the birth of the sports meme. There were numerous ones generated. I saved a bunch of them...will have to dig them out. 

I hope you have the Benny Hill-themed video. That one mysteriously disappeared. Although a copyright issue wouldn't be mysterious, I guess.

Edit: Wait, I think it was actually Samford & Son?

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hope you have the Benny Hill-themed video. That one mysteriously disappeared. Although a copyright issue wouldn't be mysterious, I guess.

Edit: Wait, I think it was actually Samford & Son?

Don’t recall that one. My fav was a Harry Potter theme...Brodie and the Hobbits hiding from McClover...

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

On 5/27/2020 at 1:05 PM, Viper said:

Don’t recall that one. My fav was a Harry Potter theme...Brodie and the Hobbits hiding from McClover...

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Funny you mention Harry Potter because I actually went to see Goblet of Fire that day (bad fan I know--gimme a break I was young lol). Getting out, turning on the radio at half-time and hearing that score was a shocker in the best of ways.

If there's only one bitter thing about this game, it's that we had the opportunity to really blow them out but didn't. I do wonder if Tuberville had Prothro's injury that resulted from Shula trying to run up the score on Florida earlier that year on his mind.

On 5/26/2020 at 8:16 PM, bigbird said:

One of my all-time favorites. I loved that defense!

bird who do you think was the greatest player auburn had in the secondary? mine i think was a porter on one of dyes teams. i remember something about them doing an article on him and him saying it was like playimg on an island because you are alone or something to that effect.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:38 AM, WarTim said:

Almost ❤️

that was such a fun game to watch because after a few minutes i felt like we would win and enjoyed it instead of worrying about getting beat.

i still have my honk if you sacked brodie bumper sticker in my music room.

7 hours ago, AUwent said:

Funny you mention Harry Potter because I actually went to see Goblet of Fire that day (bad fan I know--gimme a break I was young lol). Getting out, turning on the radio at half-time and hearing that score was a shocker in the best of ways.

If there's only one bitter thing about this game, it's that we had the opportunity to really blow them out but didn't. I do wonder if Tuberville had Prothro's injury that resulted from Shula trying to run up the score on Florida earlier that year on his mind.

No, that was just Tuberville. 

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

bird who do you think was the greatest player auburn had in the secondary? mine i think was a porter on one of dyes teams. i remember something about them doing an article on him and him saying it was like playimg on an island because you are alone or something to that effect.

Auburn hasn't had a history of strength in the secondary. It really depends on what you consider best. I can't speak to earlier players but names that come to mind for me are...

B. Robinson, Rogers, Powers, Neiko, Shelling, Casher, P. Lee, Whilhite, McFadden, C.Davis, Dean

Best video I ever saw regarding this game was before YouTube. I believe it circulated on email back then. It started with the SI cover that year saying "Bama is Back" then fades to black with the text of "Oh, my back" - Brodie Croyle

Honk if you sacked Brodie!

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i still have my honk if you sacked brodie bumper sticker in my music room.

Mine is still on my closet door in my mother's house

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Auburn hasn't had a history of strength in the secondary. It really depends on what you consider best. I can't speak to earlier players but names that come to mind for me are...

B. Robinson, Rogers, Powers, Neiko, Shelling, Casher, P. Lee, Whilhite, McFadden, C.Davis, Dean

Tucker Fredrickson, David Langner and Mike Fuller.  

1 minute ago, weagl1 said:

Larry Willingham 

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

If I had seen them they'd be on my list for sure.

Had two uaters sitting in front of me @ JH. At the end of first quarter, I was loudly jingling my car keys and asking “you wanna head home NOW and beat the traffic”???😎

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

For sure those two not so much David he was just a SOB who played dirty. David was a good player but not in the class with Tucker and Mike

Love this game but feel like we missed a great shot at really putting it to em on the scoreboard. I’ve seen some dominant Auburn Iron Bowl wins where despite the margin not really showing it Auburn was in control but we’ve never really mud stomped them in my lifetime. Biggest margin I think I’ve seen was actually just in 2017.  

Archived