Expectations of Bo this year?

gr82b4au

What are your expectations of Bo this year? Do you think he steps up even more or goes into a sophomore slump? 

He was good last year. I think he will flourish under CM once we establish a good starting group. I will be disappointed if he is not one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in the conference by the end of the year. 

For starters, I would like to see that QB completion percentage get above 60.  I think with game planning and coaching, Bo will be put in much better spots to be successful. 

I think his numbers will be better but I think there will be some disappointment based on what I hear people expecting.  I’m bearish on 2020 in general but 2021 could be the year that Bo is in the Heisman run and the Tigers are in the hunt.

SEC will be down relative to this past year; with the exception of A&M.  His passing stats should go up by about 1/3; to ~3,330 yds.  Should rush for ~600yds...roughly double last year because he should know how and when to run better than last year.  He certainly has the speed.   

He will need to consistently not disappear to 40% complete % in big games like LSU, FL, OR.   He was #13 of 14 in Comp % in SEC top passing attempts.   He was ~57%; but 40% in big games and 75% against Kent.  Needs to be consistently in the 60's.  Should go up to ~22 TD's and keep INT's where he was last year @6.  Everything is set up for him to be much better (better coach, knows the system, knows what to expect, knows the competition, etc.).  

He needs to learn to throw on the move.  When his feet are set; he can make throws.  When not; his accuracy drops dramatically.  

3 hours ago, DAG said:

For starters, I would like to see that QB completion percentage get above 60.  I think with game planning and coaching, Bo will be put in much better spots to be successful. 

His percentage in the last four games of the regular season plus the bowl was just under 62 percent completions. The low in that stretch was 50 percent in the win over Alabama.  His high was 65 percent in the bowl loss to Minnesota. I was kind of critical of Bo at times last season and at one point really wanted him to sit in favor of giving Gatewood a shot (prior to Gatewood announcing he was transferring of course) but Bo did get better as the season went along.  With Chad Morris, I think Bo's upside is huge.

CM will do something many of us have been shouting about for years, he will use his TEs in the passing game more. The result will be that Bo's completion % will go up and his sacks will go down.

I dont think a sophomore slump is possible. hes pretty much in a position where he can only go up 

I'd hope that 3K yards and 30 combined TDs is attainable. Something like 24 passing, 6 rushing? Shouldn't be that hard 

43 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont think a sophomore slump is possible. hes pretty much in a position where he can only go up 

I'd hope that 3K yards and 30 combined TDs is attainable. Something like 24 passing, 6 rushing? Shouldn't be that hard 

Yeah I think he can get 30+ TD’s mainly because chad might not run as much wildcat, which means more TD opportunities for Bo to pad his stats 

13 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Just win baby. Manage the game 

Don't think we have the personnel around him for that.  We don't even have an RB currently.  If you have AL's weapons you can do that most of the time...  He will have to make it happen.

6 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Don't think we have the personnel around him for that.  We don't even have an RB currently.  If you have AL's weapons you can do that most of the time...  He will have to make it happen.

I don’t think we need Bo to be Superman. We definitely have some weapons around Bo. Bo game managed against Bama and we still won, the 2 pick 6’s obviously helped but the offense still put up like 35 points and Bo only had a 50% completion percentage that game 

We rank 8th in terms of returning production in the SEC...and only LSU has fewer returning starters.  We are also tied for 11th in defensive returning production.  He will have to substantially step up his game.  

An addendum is in order on this one:

We will also have to find a running game which largely didn't exist last year .  Our top rusher was #12 in the SEC standings and the backup #31.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:54 AM, Viper said:

All hinges on an inexperienced OL. 

I'm not concerned about Bo; I'm not concerned about running back or wide receiver. Plenty of talent in those spots.  But if you can't open holes for the run game or give you QB time against top notch defenses, you are going to struggle offensively.  So yeah, gotta agree with Viper here.

3 things:

1. His TDs need to be around 25

2. His pass compl % needs to be around 60

3. His OL needs to come together and play error free and protect him as well or better than last years.

Bo is gonna put in the work.  As many others have stated it depends on those around him.  

Will Chad Morris get his groove back?

Will the OL protect Bo and give him and the other playmakers opportunities?  This is the most glaring concern!

The playmakers around Bo have a lot of potential, but it’s mostly just potential at this point   I don’t think any of them (besides Seth) have enough snaps, or made enough plays to be considered a proven commodity.    

On 5/29/2020 at 7:14 PM, Sizzle said:

Yeah I think he can get 30+ TD’s mainly because chad might not run as much wildcat, which means more TD opportunities for Bo to pad his stats 

In being as COMPLETELY unbiased as I can be (and this is taking alot of out of me), the guy has some ability to throw a 50/50 ball when he sets his feet and really focuses on throwing. With a hopefully comparable OL (our OL was great at pass blocking last year), an offense that should be more QB friendly, and another year of dev, Bo should be able to get more of those "ideal" 50/50 situations.

Not to mention more slants, quick hitters (outs to TEs and the ilk), it should be generally easier for the guy. 

8 hours ago, steeleagle said:

3 things:

1. His TDs need to be around 25

2. His pass compl % needs to be around 60

3. His OL needs to come together and play error free and protect him as well or better than last years.

If they can be as good in pass blocking as last year, that's probably the best we can realistically hope for. It was in part due to Bo's happy feet, but we had the least amount of QB hits in the nation from a stat I saw earlier this week 

11 hours ago, japantiger said:

We rank 8th in terms of returning production in the SEC...and only LSU has fewer returning starters.  We are also tied for 11th in defensive returning production.  He will have to substantially step up his game.  

An addendum is in order on this one:

We will also have to find a running game which largely didn't exist last year .  Our top rusher was #12 in the SEC standings and the backup #31.

I think the running stats were more to do with Gus's wonky rotations than the quality of RB. That doesn't refute what you're saying granted, but I dont see why a crop of DJ, Shivers, Kam, and a sometimes healthy Boobie couldnt have avg'd like 220 a game with how often we had to run. 

On 5/29/2020 at 11:54 AM, Viper said:

All hinges on an inexperienced OL. 

Partially agree. I think Bo will be fine. I know a lot of talk will be about the OL and rightfully so. However, our WRs have to step up as well. Bo did a good job of keeping plays alive many times when protection broke down but our WRs didn't really adjust well to that; outside of Seth. With big questions at OL we're really going to need our WRs to step up. I don't feel like we have established much depth at WR that we can depend on. 

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If they can be as good in pass blocking as last year, that's probably the best we can realistically hope for. It was in part due to Bo's happy feet, but we had the least amount of QB hits in the nation from a stat I saw earlier this week 

No we need the team to be good in run blocking too. Not just one or the other. The oline not being good in run blocking affected our passing. Defenses sat back and waited on pass plays because they knew we couldn’t run effectively for the most part 

17 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

In being as COMPLETELY unbiased as I can be (and this is taking alot of out of me), the guy has some ability to throw a 50/50 ball when he sets his feet and really focuses on throwing. With a hopefully comparable OL (our OL was great at pass blocking last year), an offense that should be more QB friendly, and another year of dev, Bo should be able to get more of those "ideal" 50/50 situations.

Not to mention more slants, quick hitters (outs to TEs and the ilk), it should be generally easier for the guy. 

Agree, and with those quick throws to TEs and RBs it helps Bo move the chains and continue important drives.

I got tired over the last few years of long low percentage passes on 2nd and 3rd longs, resulting in 3 and outs too many times. By throwing intermediate throws, Bo gives his guys a chance to make first downs or break one. 

Archived