A list of the buildings damaged, looted in Minneapolis and St. Paul

Auburn85

10 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Maybe. They got him at 2am in the morning for breaking curfew. Its a 3 hour drive to where he lives from Chicago.

I was talking about them actually enforcing the curfews.

They got this jack ass also. So they definitely have a team currently working it. Didn't know how thin spread they were.

https://wgntv.com/news/pilsen-man-in-joker-mask-charged-after-setting-chicago-cop-car-on-fire-officials/

Mandating and enforcing curfews with discretion and reason is one thing. (Reasonable ones. 7:00 PM is ridiculous. Most people haven't even had dinner yet.) 

The "you loot we shoot" crap is shameful. And, clearly, counterproductive.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Mandating and enforcing curfews with discretion and reason is one thing. (Reasonable ones. 7:00 PM is ridiculous. Most people haven't even had dinner yet.) 

Agreed that is the wrong message. Question is what is a reasonable curfew? Looting is occurring during the day.

Hell man, The Kings, SD's and 26 Latino gangs are protecting the local businesses. It is said are targeting blacks that enter there atm cause they believe they are there to loot due to it starting to encroach on that area. These guys are carrying bats, golf clubs, machetes, guns, and they got armed men on top of business roofs.

Last thing Chicago needs in the middle of this is full out war between the Kings and Disciples.

Good news, last I saw 1000's protesting at Wrigley and everyone was being cool.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

7:00 is before dark. I wouldn’t start shooting at 7:01. You have an hour or so grace period.  

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Agreed that is the wrong message. Question is what is a reasonable curfew? Looting is occurring during the day.

9 pm seems to be working in a lot of places.

As for gangs, again, targeted action based on real police work seems appropriate.

Take away people with cameras and George Floyd's murderers would be on the job right now. 

Look at the assault numbers.

This shock and awe police state bull**** that some are suggesting is a threat to national security.

The inevitable result.of escalation and intimidation on the part of police. Check your blind spot. This is really, really dangerous territory.

"We're being viewed as the enemy by a lot of people, Chief."
"Only a lot of them? What about the rest of them?! Finish the job." 

Was only a matter of time before the ACLU got involved. 

As people take to the streets to demand justice for George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, and too many other Black people who have been killed by police in recent years, journalists have joined them to bear witness. While covering these protests in cities throughout the country, journalists have become conspicuous targets for arrest, intimidation, and assault by police officers, even though (or perhaps because) they are clearly identifiable as members of the press.

These apparently deliberate attacks on journalists violate the First Amendment freedom of the press, and they will not go unanswered. The ACLU of Minnesota is filing a class-action lawsuit against Minnesota’s state and local law enforcement officials to ensure that police officers who target journalists are held fully accountable for their unlawful actions.

We also plan to protect another of our essential First Amendment rights: the right to protest. We’re pursuing legal actions to stop police brutality against protesters and organizers.

Throughout the George Floyd protests, there have been numerous, well-documented instances of deliberate abuse against journalists by law enforcement officers. A Minnesota State Patrol officer arrested CNN correspondent Omar Jimenez and his crew during a live broadcast, despite the journalists repeatedly having offered to comply with police and asking where they could move. Los Angeles Times reporter Molly Hennessy-Fiske and photographer Carolyn Cole were chased by Minnesota State Patrol officers, tear-gassed, and shot at with rubber bullets, even though both were wearing their press credentials and they identified themselves as journalists. And police officers pepper-sprayed a group of visibly credentialed journalists, including KTSP reporter Ryan Raiche and his producer, as they were pinned against a wall.

And these are examples from Minnesota alone. The Reporters Committee for the Freedom the Press and the U.S. Press Freedom Tracker have identified numerous other instances of official abuse against journalists in cities across the country

These attacks violate the press’s clearly established First Amendment right to report on public protests and police activities. An open society depends on a free press to keep the public informed and to bear witness to government actions. When law enforcement officers target members of the press with impunity, they strike at the root of our democracy. Law enforcement officers who perpetrate these abuses must be held accountable for their actions to the fullest extent of the law.

Unfortunately, as in so many other cases, senior law enforcement officials have refused to take action in response to flagrant abuse. They have failed to establish necessary guidelines, trainings, and disciplinary protocols to ensure that attacks on journalists are treated with zero tolerance. Instead, they have made excuses and ducked responsibility, such as when the Minnesota State Patrol claimed that they released Mr. Jimenez and his crew “once they were confirmed to be members of the media” – even though that fact was obvious before the arrests took place.

If the government refuses to hold its officers accountable for their unlawful actions, we will. This lawsuit will be the first of several we intend to file in states across the country. We will not rest until the press is once again free to report the news without fear or favor.

12 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Question is what is a reasonable curfew? Looting is occurring during the day.

A reasonable curfew???? Really.  We just ended a national lockdown to protect each of us from a flu and, by and large, it was followed.  In certain states the were arresting Hair Salon owners for opening up their businesses. WTH is going on here.  The police are here to *protect and serve* and they are not doing the protect part these days and they are being attacked now, several have died.  There hands are tied so they are an easy target.

Trump has threatened the use of military to see if the local police can get this under control, if the local police are being killed what would be your next step?

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

This insanely stupid.

s***. The video doesn’t play. If you could watch it it’s much stupider. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

s***. The video doesn’t play. If you could watch it it’s much stupider. 

No, it played for me. I don't understand why you're posting it. It seems to confirm that your suggested course of action by law enforcement is stupid and counterproductive.

I've seen countless examples this week. Here's one more. Go cops! Good job! Thank you for protecting business owners! 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, it played for me. I don't understand why you're posting it. It seems to confirm that your suggested course of action by law enforcement is stupid and counterproductive.

I've seen countless examples this week. Here's one more. Go cops! Good job! Thank you for protecting business owners! 

If that happened after curfew I’m good with it .. The video was sarcasm. 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

If that happened after curfew I’m good with it .

Curfew or not, the police in that video escalated the incident.  That's not their job.

16 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Curfew or not, the police in that video escalated the incident.  That's not their job.

It’s their job to enforce the law. If curfew is broken, the law is broken. That’s the whole point of a curfew. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

It’s their job to enforce the law. If curfew is broken, the law is broken. That’s the whole point of a curfew. 

Enforcing the law does not mean escalation of a situation.  The pepper spray was not needed in that situation.  No one was being violent or resisting.  That's an excessive use of force.

33 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Enforcing the law does not mean escalation of a situation.  The pepper spray was not needed in that situation.  No one was being violent or resisting.  That's an excessive use of force.

I guess it’s how you define resisting.  When the cops went up to him and motioned for him to turn around, he started backing up and when they grabbed his arm he pulls back further.  Seems like he resisted, the woman next to him interfered and got pepper spread.  I would be willing to bet in the their police manual that would be classic resisting.

It’s not what you or I think is resisting, it’s what the cop thinks is resisting.  You don’t get a say until you write him up for excessive force.

You think this crap is going to help the cops? You think this is going to make us safer? Check your blind spot. It's a mile wide.

The Australian embassy in Washington DC has reached out to the US State Department after a Network Seven reporter and cameraman were beaten by police outside the White House.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/us-ambassador-responds-to-assault-of-australian-journalists-by-police-outside-white-house-20200602-p54ywn.html

Just now, alexava said:

Very sad.

Here's the newspaper article with actual reporting on what happened. The police chief doesn't describe protesters but "rioters" who were driving around town in cars. 

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Police-Davenport-officer-shot-2-killings-15307948.php

Also, do tell me more about this Daily Wire. Just kidding. I'm actually a little concerned how you found the piece you posted. 

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

A reasonable curfew???? Really.  We just ended a national lockdown to protect each of us from a flu and, by and large, it was followed.  In certain states the were arresting Hair Salon owners for opening up their businesses. WTH is going on here.  The police are here to *protect and serve* and they are not doing the protect part these days and they are being attacked now, several have died.  There hands are tied so they are an easy target.

Trump has threatened the use of military to see if the local police can get this under control, if the local police are being killed what would be your next step?

They also are exhausted and tired which can lead to mistakes and frustrations. Family friend is Chicago PD. Resources are being diverted for things like 1000 people marching on Wrigley. So you are left with the Latin Kings for example, being the full time police in some neighborhoods at the moment for example.

Yes they are being attacked in some places, I have pointed that out. Innocents are being killed also along with your usual Chicago beefs.

Curfews have helped CPD with heavy protest areas like the Loop/Lakeshore the last couple days. Problem is the looting target areas are changing. For example the targets have now shifted to the western subs's... Naperville, Aurora etc.

Not all places need a curfew. Like Austin has not implemented one. They are basing it off events and may put one in for the weekend.

25 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I guess it’s how you define resisting.  When the cops went up to him and motioned for him to turn around, he started backing up and when they grabbed his arm he pulls back further.  Seems like he resisted, the woman next to him interfered and got pepper spread.  I would be willing to bet in the their police manual that would be classic resisting.

It’s not what you or I think is resisting, it’s what the cop thinks is resisting.  You don’t get a say until you write him up for excessive force.

Man, I watch Live PD every week and see worse than that each episode as "resisting" without force being used.  The spray needed to be a last resort option, not a knee-jerk reaction.  It was beyond excessive.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Man, I watch Live PD every week and see worse than that each episode as "resisting" without force being used.  The spray needed to be a last resort option, not a knee-jerk reaction.  It was beyond excessive.

Both sides are on edge. It doesn't take much for a knee jerk reaction right now. 

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

A reasonable curfew???? Really.

For protesting that apparently escalates to looting and destruction? With you M4. Mob control has to be extremely difficult and frustrating for the police.  

Archived