Coach Dye has passed away

PigskinPat

I seriously can't take much more. Pat Dye was always who I thought of when I thought of Auburn football. He came after some really dark times in Auburn football and was a big part of growing my passion for football and all things Auburn. I will miss his awshucks, Southern charm and his love for Auburn. Lord, please be with his family and all of us at Auburn. He left a legacy and we need to honor that legacy with a fabulous season. I will cry tears over this, for sure. We've taken more hits than we deserve the last few years. 😭

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the Dye Family

I pray that God will give you strength and courage during this loss. Take comfort in your friendships, prayer, and peace in love. 

I happened to be fraternity brothers with both his sons.  My lasting impression of Coach Dye will be seeing him grab Brett up by the neck one afternoon in the SAE house.  Pretty sure that was a common occurrence.  He was tough as nails, reminded me a lot of my own father.

RIP Coach Dye. 

He said, ‘Well, we’ve got a contract through (19)88. … I said, ‘Well, we’ll play ’89 in Auburn.’”

1 hour ago, PigskinPat said:

My dad’s friend told us a little while ago. 

Heard it on the radio traveling between Heflin and Oxford. Had to pull over for a minute. Very sad news.

For those not old enough to remember the disappointing end of the Shug Jordan era or the dark days of Barfield before Coach Dye, all I can say is that Coach Dye came in at a time when AU and AU fans needed to believe and he gave us something to believe in. His first AU team wasn't great, but they were hard nosed and played to the very end. By 1983, Dye had AU in a position to win a national championship. I was at that Sugar Bowl in January of 84. As far as I'm concerned, Coach Dye and the AU Tigers did win that national championship. (Glad to see that AU now claims it based on the NY Times.)

I will never forget Coach Pat Dye so long as I live. He was the best of Auburn.

War Eagle, Coach Dye!

So glad we have Pat Dye Field today and hopefully always. 

For the orange facemask fans this would be a chance to wear them once this season for Coach Dye. 

Also, if we're ever going to claim a 1983 NC, do it now. 

I was very fortunate to get to hang out with him one night in 2005. If you like talking about football you got an unforgettable conversation. He was amazed that I knew about his famous blocked field goal against Auburn. His eyes got wide and he asked, “how do you know about that play?”  I said, “everybody knows about that play, Coach.”

Dye did something that no one else has ever done.  He told UA to take it or leave it.  The game will be played in AU or not at all. 

I will miss him.  Like all humans, he was not perfect and had faults, but he was a perfect fit for AU.  Sad day for us. 

Coach Dye was the first Auburn coach I knew of and was also my favorite football coach. I have a picture as a child with him during a book signing. Just a legend.  He was the catalyst for ending that Bama dominance of the Bryant days and shaping us to go toe to toe with them today.  RIP Coach Dye and I'm sure he will a part of the heavens that make Auburn the loveliest village on the Plains. 

The fact that Auburn is in the national conversation each year goes back to coach Dye and his impact on the program.  He forever changed the prominence and expectations of the program.  RIP Coach. God Bless you and your family.  Thanks for the many days of joy you provided to me and my family.  

Coach Dye was the perfect coach at the perfect time when he came to Auburn. He came in and completely changed the culture.  As one of his players said “it’s now Dye’s ways or Trailways”.  RIP coach.  You will be missed.  

it was around this time last year that rods death was also announced. rods death was actually announced a week earlier. but scary that both occurred almost in the same time frame

Rest in Heaven coach. Now you get to be with some other greats talking football. Prayers for his family and the Auburn family. 

An icon and a legend in his own time. His importance to our University as a whole cannot be overstated, as his impact changed everything. It went well beyond wins and losses. I am sad that he’s gone as an important figure of my childhood in the 80’s is no more, but I’m glad he had a long and successful life and that we had him as long as we did. RIP Coach. 

Wish I had been in a position to have met coach Dye. His Players and coaches must be treasuring their memories of him more than ever today. Rest in Peace Coach Dye.  

13 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Wish I had been in a position to have met coach Dye. His Players and coaches must be treasuring their memories of him more than ever today. Rest in Peace Coach Dye.  

You would be correct. I've already seen numerous words of remembrance from current and recent players. He still meant a lot to these kids.

What a sad day for the Auburn family. We just keep suffering these heartbreaking losses...….the last year has been very tough. 

RIP Coach Dye. 

Archived