Coach Dye has passed away

PigskinPat

I had the honor of meeting him when I was a youngster. He took two hours out of a Friday before game day against Georgia Tech to spend time with my family. He was so very engaging. My brother had been in a serious accident the year before, and coach took my brother’s picture and pinned it to a bulletin board on the back of his door. That board was filled with pictures of kids with various ailments. Coach said that any time he started feeling down about things, he would close his door and stare at the photos to remind him just how lucky he was.

Rest in peace, coach. You will always be at the top of the mountain of legendary leaders at Auburn.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He loved Auburn and Auburn loved him.

He will be missed but his legacy and memories will be celebrated every fall. He will not be forgotten. War Eagle Coach Dye. 

:AUBig: 

Love the man dearly. Since 2005 I have spent a lot of time with Coach and I am going to miss our talks sitting in the rocking chairs and overlooking the pond at the farm. 

Just completely numb. I don't have the words to express what Coach meant to me as an Auburn man. I was a junior in high school in 1980 when Coach Dye came to Auburn. I had friends on the team, and the stories coming out of practice that first year let me know change was certainly in the air at Auburn. So very grateful that Coach is associated with our University, both as a football coach, and more importantly as a person. Rest in peace Coach. Prayers to all.

A True Auburn Legend and Auburn Man. RIP Coach Dye. My prayers are with his family and the whole Auburn Family as he was a part of all of us.

Here is a little known fact about Coach Dye. He caused Auburn QB Bryant Harvard to fumble in the the 1960 Auburn/Georgia game which Georgia wound up winning the game because of it. I was a pilot in the Marine Corps stationed at Beaufort, SC in 1960 but I followed Coach Dye's coaching career from when he was the coach at East Carolina to when he became Auburn'd head football coach. He was a winner every where he coached and  I was really excited when he was named Auburn's head football coach because I knew we were in good hands  and history has proved me correct. What is also amazing to me is that Bryant Harvard the Auburn, QB back in 1960 passed away on Monday, both were 80 years old. That has to be one of the most ironic things I have ever seen. RIP Coach Dye and Bryant. WDE to both of you!!!

RIP Coach. We will all miss you terribly. Praying for the Dye family and the Auburn Family. One of my favorite things the past few years to do was listen to the coach pat dye show. I loved to hear him talk....about football, about life, whatever. The man had one of the best memories I have ever seen and was a terrific story teller. That is where I fell in love with Coach Dye. After his coaching years just seeing him be the ultimate Auburn Ambassador. What a man and what a life he led. I am thankful he got to kick back on the Farm (that r is silent if you ever listen to Coach) his last years and I will jsut miss hearing that voice. This one will definitely take some time. War Damn Eagle Coach. We love you. 

This is sad news for Auburn fans here on earth.  To a generation, Coach Pat Dye WAS Auburn football. 

I'll say this though.... One of Heaven's football teams just got a LOT better!

God bless & War Eagle!

He had a positive impact on the entire athletic department, not just football. What he did for basketball, baseball, and swimming....encouraging Sonny to stay, hiring Hal Baird and David Marsh.

I’m new here. Not a forum guy but I like reading. This is the best Auburn board from my seat. 

I’m not from Alabama. Not even American but moved here as a kid in 1982. I knew football but didn’t know how heated the rivalries were. 

I remember flipping channels and there was Coach Dye delivering his famous “60 minutes” line. I was immediately drawn to him and that’s the day I became an Auburn fan. Went to the first Al game at JH, easily the most electric atmosphere I’ve witnessed. Another great game was FSU when walking out the entire stadium broke into  “Long Ride Home, Looooong Ride Home” mimicking the FSU chant. 

Coach Dye will be missed but never forgotten 

Sad day for our AU family.  

Remember and celebrate the life of arguably the most influential man in our football program history.  

Prayers for the Dye family and the AU family!❤️🙏😰❤️🙏😰

I don't comment at all anymore, and only browse a few forums with regularity. This one is the one I lurk on constantly, especially during football season. I remember TO THIS DAY the speech I got from my API graduate dad before I went to the greatest game ever at Jordan Hare. "Do NOT be like them! You're an AU man. Welcome them to Auburn! ......then pray we kick their butts." He cried that day (I didn't see it) because UA was coming to AU. That's what Pat Dye means to me. Rest well, Coach.

My writer friend and fellow AHS, AU alum penned this memory. It's something @augolf1716 and many others will appreciate about Coach Dye. I loved reading it. 

22 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

My writer friend and fellow AHS, AU alum penned this memory. It's something @augolf1716 and many others will appreciate about Coach Dye. I loved reading it. 

That was a fantastic read 

My prayers go out to the Family of Coach Pat Dye. Coach Dye you brought Auburn back to relevance in the college football world. You stood toe to toe with Alabama and came out on top. You moved the Iron Bowl home game to Auburn permanently. You meant so much to your players, the fans and all of the Auburn Family.  You were well respected by all who knew you including those who competed against you. Simply put, you are a hero of mine and I have always respected you for being the man that you were. Godspeed Coach Dye. I know I will see you in Heaven someday.

I am definitely proud to be a DYE-HARD AUBURN FAN!

RIP Coach Patrick Fain Dye

AUBURN TIGERS FOOTBALL STICKER LOT old slogans logos official ...

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

This is sad news for Auburn fans here on earth.  To a generation, Coach Pat Dye WAS Auburn football. 

I'll say this though.... One of Heaven's football teams just got a LOT better!

God bless & War Eagle!

I hope my mom and dad were some of the ones welcoming him at the gates of Heaven! Surely they have football in Heaven. We've had too many miracles not to have had a little extra help!

16 minutes ago, Sully to Beasley said:

My prayers go out to the Family of Coach Pat Dye. Coach Dye you brought Auburn back to relevance in the college football world. You stood toe to toe with the U of A and came out on top. You moved the Iron Bowl home game with them to Auburn permanently. You meant so much to your players, the fans and all of the Auburn Family.  You were well respected by all who knew you including those who competed against you. Simply put, you are a hero of mine and I have always respected you for being the man that you were. Godspeed Coach Dye. I know I will see you in Heaven someday.

I am definitely proud to be a DYE HARD AUBURN FAN!

RIP Coach Patrick Fain Dye

AUBURN TIGERS FOOTBALL STICKER LOT old slogans logos official ...

We need to bring that phrase back!!!

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Coach Dye is the only coach In AU history who truly understood what AU had to fight in Tuscaloosa. Took them on and whipped their ass. God speed coach. 

Not only did understand from assisting Bahr for 9 years. He walked on campus with a plan to "level the playing field". Damn sure did it to.

Was just finishing school  when he arrived and ended up making Auburn my home. Coach did not come Auburn to make a lot of friends and it was obvious. Apparently great for our athletic program though. Took a few years but he genuinely warmed to the Auburn people and grew to love Auburn. We all reciprocated. 

Had coffee with him many early mornings at old Bent Creek Grocery off exit 57. Usually before the sun was up. The few of us there learned two things. You did not disturb coach while he was reading the newspaper and you did not talk football unless he brought it up.  RIP Coach.     

Archived