Coach Dye has passed away

PigskinPat

For what coach Dye helped build. This vid hits hard everytime with the family we have lost recently. Lutz, Bramblett’s, and coach Dye. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had NO idea he still was around the program this much where he had this much of a impact on our current and recent players!!! They all seemed to be extremely close to him. :(

I only met him once (and that was almost 20 years ago) when he spoke at a local alumni club meeting. He was gracious enough to come by each table and meet and speak to everyone there.  I wished I could sit with him for a few hours and just listen to all of his stories about football, sports in general and life itself. 

War Eagle Coach Dye!  It won't be the same without you.

4 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I only met him once (and that was almost 20 years ago) when he spoke at a local alumni club meeting. He was gracious enough to come by each table and meet and speak to everyone there.  I wished I could sit with him for a few hours and just listen to all of his stories about football, sports in general and life itself. 

War Eagle Coach Dye!  It won't be the same without you.

i loved dye because he put fear in the turds. i also loved him because he genuinely cared for people. when my stepfather was dying of cancer they called the university on sunday and monday morning he got a care package which meant so much to him he cried. i later got to meet him at an auburn alumini club dinner in oxford where i told him what he had done meant so much and i gave him a nice case pocket knife. i do not think coach ever saw "little people" and i loved that about him. i hope people line the roads for him like they did bear when he passed.

Everybody remembers the "60 minutes" to  beat bama comment, but one of my favorite quotes from Coach Dye came from his first press conference.  One of the bama beat writers was there and asked him how he was going to defend against bama's offense.  Coach Dye said "The same way we defend everybody else".  The reporter persisted, saying how bama was different and better than other teams.  Dye again said, "The same way we defend against everybody else".  When the reporter smirked and asked how that was, an irritated Pat Dye leaned into the microphone and growled "We're going to put on them blue jerseys and put the fear of God into 'em".  

I think one of his former players may have summed up Coach Dye best when he said "He could be the meanest SOB on the face of the earth and often was, but other than my momma and daddy I don't think anybody loved me as much as Coach Dye".

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

My favorite quote by coach was "It's not a matter if Auburn is going to be good its a matter of HOW good we will be"

did you ever get to know coach dye golf?

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

did you ever get to know coach dye golf?

No not really talked to a few times. Now Shug I knew very well 

If it hasn't already been posted, this is a good article on Coach Dye's hiring. Interesting now that we all are expressing our appreciation for Coach Dye that many don't know the role Bobby Lowder played in his hiring. Many AU fans don't like Lowder but if it wasn't for him Coach Dye likely would never have been our coach.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/PMARSHONAU-The-real-story-of-how-Pat-Dye-became-Auburns-coach-147761234/

Defeat reveals the true character of a man

This is one of my favorites he gave and it speaks volumes to his idea of building men.  Like his love for his players and Auburn, his words go so far beyond the field.

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

If it hasn't already been posted, this is a good article on Coach Dye's hiring. Interesting now that we all are expressing our appreciation for Coach Dye that many don't know the role Bobby Lowder played in his hiring. Yet so many AU fans don't like Lowder.

Link Mr Proud

golf we would enjoy some stories about coach jordan sometime. i have heard about his famous sandbox under the stadium seating. and did you ever go to a bbq joint with a dirt floor run by a cat named archie? my moms best friend worked for him and she hung out there quite a bit.

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Defeat reveals the true character of a man

This is one of my favorites he gave and it speaks volumes to his idea of building men.  Like his love for his players and Auburn, his words go so far beyond the field.

i remember kevin steele laughing at practice in the pro's saying they were nothing compared to coach dye's practices......

14 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Does anyone have the link to the actual video of Pat Dye's first press conference after being named AU coach in 1981? I would love to watch it again.

You guys are making a grown man cry at work... in Maine... where I can't even explain it without getting crazy looks

RIP Pat Dye... You are part of the reason our family is an Auburn family.

It took me a few days to be able to read the comments here. It's so emotional for so many of us AU fans.

I was fortunate to be at AU from '83-'87 which were truly glory days in AU football. Like others have said, Dye laid the foundation in the 80's for being the national competitor that today we expect to be every year. Coach Dye will always be the face of AU football for me.

He was often on the local ESPN radio station in my city and I loved his commentary and his humor. He is an AU legend and loved by so many of us and we'll miss him forever.

RIP, Coach Dye.

IIRC, prior to the 1981 Iron Bowl, he told tha bahr, “We’re about to get after your asses.” Lost 28-17 only because he got out-talented, but he served notice his boys were going to be the most physical team on bammer’s schedule every season. 

Fitting way for such an Auburn man. Goodbye Coach. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2020/06/auburn-icon-pat-dye-laid-to-rest-under-tree-grown-from-toomers-oak.html

Auburn icon Pat Dye laid to rest under tree grown from Toomer’s Oak

Updated 11:47 AM; Today 11:40 AM

This was Dye's first game as Auburn's head football coach. Auburn won, 24 to 16. Alabama Media GroupAlabama Media Group

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn legend Pat Dye, who died Monday at the age of 80, was laid to rest Tuesday evening beneath a tree on his farm in Notasulga.

Dye, who rejuvenated a dormant Auburn football program in the 1980s and took the Tigers to new heights, had a small, private funeral, according to the Athens Banner-Herald. The tree under which the longtime Auburn coach and athletics director was buried held significant meaning to Dye, as it was grown from a trimming from the original Toomer’s oaks, according to the report.

Those oaks, which long stood at Toomer’s Corner in the heart of downtown Auburn, had been rolled with toiler paper by fans during momentous celebrations dating back to 1962. The original trees were poisoned by Alabama fan Harvey Updyke in 2010, slowly killing the oaks and eventually leading Auburn to remove them in April 2013 despite unsuccessful efforts to save them.

Goodman: Dye was a symbol of SEC toughness

Dye saved a trimming from one of those oaks and spent years nurturing and tending to what is now a 15-foot-tall tree on the late coach’s farm. According to the report, in lieu of a casket, Dye was buried in a simple white shroud.

Jimmy Rane, one of Dye’s closest friends and a longtime Auburn booster, told the Banner-Herald that Dye wanted to be buried without a casket because he wanted to “fertilize this tree and for my spirit to hover around this tree.”

Rane was reportedly one of four Auburn figures to attend Dye’s funeral along with the late coach’s family. Heisman-winning running back Bo Jackson, who played for Dye; longtime Auburn assistant coach Joe Whitt Sr., who coached under Dye; and current Auburn assistant Rodney Garner, who also played for Dye, were the others in attendance.

A public memorial to honor Dye will be held at a later date, with details announced once they are finalized.

Just no words right now. All i can think of is the memories from the time he was the coach. Good memories. Rest in peace coach Dye, and God speed.

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Fitting way for such an Auburn man. Goodbye Coach. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2020/06/auburn-icon-pat-dye-laid-to-rest-under-tree-grown-from-toomers-oak.html

Auburn icon Pat Dye laid to rest under tree grown from Toomer’s Oak

Updated 11:47 AM; Today 11:40 AM

This was Dye's first game as Auburn's head football coach. Auburn won, 24 to 16. Alabama Media GroupAlabama Media Group

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn legend Pat Dye, who died Monday at the age of 80, was laid to rest Tuesday evening beneath a tree on his farm in Notasulga.

Dye, who rejuvenated a dormant Auburn football program in the 1980s and took the Tigers to new heights, had a small, private funeral, according to the Athens Banner-Herald. The tree under which the longtime Auburn coach and athletics director was buried held significant meaning to Dye, as it was grown from a trimming from the original Toomer’s oaks, according to the report.

Those oaks, which long stood at Toomer’s Corner in the heart of downtown Auburn, had been rolled with toiler paper by fans during momentous celebrations dating back to 1962. The original trees were poisoned by Alabama fan Harvey Updyke in 2010, slowly killing the oaks and eventually leading Auburn to remove them in April 2013 despite unsuccessful efforts to save them.

Goodman: Dye was a symbol of SEC toughness

Dye saved a trimming from one of those oaks and spent years nurturing and tending to what is now a 15-foot-tall tree on the late coach’s farm. According to the report, in lieu of a casket, Dye was buried in a simple white shroud.

Jimmy Rane, one of Dye’s closest friends and a longtime Auburn booster, told the Banner-Herald that Dye wanted to be buried without a casket because he wanted to “fertilize this tree and for my spirit to hover around this tree.”

Rane was reportedly one of four Auburn figures to attend Dye’s funeral along with the late coach’s family. Heisman-winning running back Bo Jackson, who played for Dye; longtime Auburn assistant coach Joe Whitt Sr., who coached under Dye; and current Auburn assistant Rodney Garner, who also played for Dye, were the others in attendance.

A public memorial to honor Dye will be held at a later date, with details announced once they are finalized.

One of the toughest coaches ever goes out his own way, just as we knew he would. I know the few who witnessed the funeral will remember it the rest of their lives. 
Thanks for the memories, Coach.

Archived