players report to campus thursday

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Certainly hoping for a season this year. Not sure if it has been stated yet but i'd be interested to learn how long players would have to be quarantined if tested positive before returning?

This is really going to shake up CFB because imagine if a big impact player(s) gets COVID and the team is on a championship run or winning streak. They'd need to be in quarantine and the team has huge games coming up. It would honestly give more teams the chance to contend this year but at the same time suck for some who have the best talent. It would also give backups more opportunities to play. 

I welcome it though; especially with the pro sports. With college it may be a bit different because could this affect their draft status if they catch it and only able to play half the season. That's someone's money and livelihood. But we're all having to adjust with all of this and some things are going to be just unfair in general due to what's going on in the world today. 

My initial response was that it would be like any other injury- just bad luck that could happen to any team. But then it occurred to me how much pressure this will put on the coaching staff, the nutritionists, the players themselves, and anyone else charged with them (and all students) staying safe. 

I mean, if ~60 P5 teams get by okay but just a few run into issues, people are going to ask what those teams did wrong that everybody else did right. Imagine being the losing coach on the podium having to answer question about why QB1 got the Rona. Yikes.

But the coaches seem like they want to get back to work so fingers crossed for no meaningful or ugly storylines. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My initial response was that it would be like any other injury- just bad luck that could happen to any team. But then it occurred to me how much pressure this will put on the coaching staff, the nutritionists, the players themselves, and anyone else charged with them (and all students) staying safe. 

I mean, if ~60 P5 teams get by okay but just a few run into issues, people are going to ask what those teams did wrong that everybody else did right. Imagine being the losing coach on the podium having to answer question about why QB1 got the Rona. Yikes.

But the coaches seem like they want to get back to work so fingers crossed for no meaningful or ugly storylines. 

Unfortunately, if they play i think we are going to see a some coaches having to answer those tough questions. However, I certainly wouldn't fault anyone on staff if Bo caught it. I know that all programs are doing the best they can to prevent it. People can take all the precautions in the world and still get it. I'm just curious to see how colleges will handle things if say 8,9, 10+ players start to catch it. I know a lot has to worked out if they do decide to play. I just think it's going to be a lot different making decisions vs. the pros. Pros get paid to play and will continue to play no matter what even if say someone like Lebron or James Harden gets it; NFL as well.

My 2 cents...

There are myriad bacteria, viruses, other communicable diseases constantly running their courses through all of us.  Colds, flus...heck even HIV can be caught from blood contact IIRC.

I believe even one if our resident nurses in this forum finally decided that 90% of people we come in contact with have it or, at least, have been exposed.

Point being, play or don't.  If a player ain't sick, play.  If they're sick, don't.  To my knowledge there are plenty heroic stories over the decades of players playing with the flu (a highly contagious sickness) and getting IV fluids at halftime so they could keep playing, etc.

Why is this being treated so different?  Because certain people or groups want it that way.  If you're scared or are very much at risk, stay home.  Otherwise these people in charge need to make up their minds.... Let them play, or don't.  Putting them out there only to let them catch what's supposed to be so scary & deadly, then quarantining them because they test positive (even if asymptomatic) is ludicrous.  If it's THAT dangerous then the PTB are being incredibly irresponsible.

They need to make up their minds.  The contradictions are ridiculous.

Again, merely my opinion.  But this is from someone who was one of the first on this site to take it very seriously and am most at risk.

15 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Point being, play or don't.

To me this is really what it all boils down to now. Doesn't matter if it's football or going to the store, church or anywhere there are people you won't successfully be able to distance from. All the effort one puts into masking up and distancing is reduced to nothing when one person doesn't and you meet up with that person. So yeah, play or don't play because the only place you can mostly control your environment is at home. Otherwise you are at risk. I've played it safe with a mask on public places but it's 50/50 out there and I can't believe I haven't been exposed at this point. We all need to do our best to be safe but we can't all be hermits at this point. I just keep praying to be kept safe. 

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

To me this is really what it all boils down to now. Doesn't matter if it's football or going to the store, church or anywhere there are people you won't successfully be able to distance from. All the effort one puts into masking up and distancing is reduced to nothing when one person doesn't and you meet up with that person. So yeah, play or don't play because the only place you can mostly control your environment is at home. Otherwise you are at risk. I've played it safe with a mask on public places but it's 50/50 out there and I can't believe I haven't been exposed at this point. We all need to do our best to be safe but we can't all be hermits at this point. I just keep praying to be kept safe. 

Your last 2 sentences sum up my feelings, and have been from the get go.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Yessir.

It boils down to either it's safe for giant, sweaty men to crash into each other....or it's not.

To put them out there, then quarantine them as they go, at risk that one or some could acutely catch it and die....

I mean, again, the contradictions & supposed risks and stop n starts.... It's either not really that big a deal or it is & it's grown adults making irresponsible decisions.

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS PsTB!!!!!

I don’t think players health is a concern. It’s their parents, grandparents, coaches professors. Players will be fine. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t think players health is a concern. It’s their parents, grandparents, coaches professors. Players will be fine. 

What does that mean though?

It's okay to go on with your sporting life as normal but you can't be around your parents, grandparents, coaches & professors?

Where's the line drawn?  None of this makes sense...

Does any know when the freshman numbers will be released? Capers and Desmond Tisdol have posted edits in their Auburn jerseys. Zevian #9 and Tisdol #30

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

With three players tested positive already,   the whole team needs to get it,  SERIOUSLY quarantine,  and get over it before the students come back.    It is the only way they can keep from giving it to or catching it from the rest of the students in the fall.  Stay away from  coaches etc.   I hope we don't get any serious cases,  or positive players not truly quarantining themselves while infected. 

21 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

With three players tested positive already,   the whole team needs to get it,  SERIOUSLY quarantine,  and get over it before the students come back.    It is the only way they can keep from giving it to or catching it from the rest of the students in the fall.  Stay away from  coaches etc.   I hope we don't get any serious cases,  or positive players not truly quarantining themselves while infected. 

I see what your saying, but that's just it though.  Nobody knows how severe it would be by getting it.  I'm sure we'd all go Sweden if we knew we wouldn't die from it.  I know that's why my family stays sheltered as much as we can still despite the want to get out more. 

PS. No disrespect intended for those that had serious complications from this dangerous and frightening disease.  Just stating logical theory.  

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I see what your saying, but that's just it though.  Nobody knows how severe it would be by getting it.  I'm sure we'd all go Sweden if we knew we wouldn't die from it.  I know that's why my family stays sheltered as much as we can still despite the want to get out more. 

PS. No disrespect intended for those that had serious complications from this dangerous and frightening disease.  Just stating logical theory.  

That's my thing.

It's not that I'm trying to make anyone on either side of the fence uncomfortable.  The people making decisions just need to say "they can play" or "it's still too dangerous".

I feel they're sorta stuck on the fence themselves and it's hanging these young men out to dry....not to mention anyone they come into contact with.

Pick one and quit playing guessing games with peoples' lives.

30 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That's my thing.

It's not that I'm trying to make anyone on either side of the fence uncomfortable.  The people making decisions just need to say "they can play" or "it's still too dangerous".

I feel they're sorta stuck on the fence themselves and it's hanging these young men out to dry....not to mention anyone they come into contact with.

Pick one and quit playing guessing games with peoples' lives.

They will when they have to. Right now they are still in a mode of gathering information. Getting ready for the possibility of playing. I just believe that if there was any real data showing this virus to be problematic for young athletes it wouldn’t be under consideration. I am going to guess the entire program will be tested twice a week at least. 

10 hours ago, alexava said:

They will when they have to. Right now they are still in a mode of gathering information. Getting ready for the possibility of playing. I just believe that if there was any real data showing this virus to be problematic for young athletes it wouldn’t be under consideration. I am going to guess the entire program will be tested twice a week at least. 

I agree with your post.  And admittedly, as I've said before, I'm dubious of the "state of the virus" at this point so take what I say as FWIW...

I just know, if this virus were still that serious that an entire nation/world should still be wearing masks and quarantining every time one tests positive, then as a parent, I'd be VERY upset at the use of my child as a guinea pig for cont'd data research.  And as a player himself, if I understood the ways of the world, I'd be pissed too.

Anyway, I'm preaching now, so I'm out.

God bless!

18 hours ago, alexava said:

You make a great point. Based on what we know so far a healthy young athlete in most cases will be asymptomatic or have a very mild case. There will be a very small number of this group that may actually be impacted by it.  Players should be tested on a regular If test positive should be allowed to do school work virtually to protect people at risk and quarantine including avoiding family for the quarantine period. 

To me the real issue is not the players and playing the game but what happens in the stands.  I hate wearing a mask but I will turn 69 this year so when I go into any Public place I wear a mask.  If we allow people in the stands do we limit numbers and do we require that everyone wear a mask. I hate making people do things and I think some of the way some states have become dictatorial is wrong.  Normally I would say wearing a mask should be a personal choice in you should have the right to put yourself at risk, the issue is if you have Covid-19 and don't realize it not wearing a mask can put others at risk. Because not wearing a mask at a Public venue with close people to people contact I accept that the Venue should be able to say you must wear a mask and should also have masks available in case somebody does not have one. 

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You make a great point. Based on what we know so far a healthy young athlete in most cases will be asymptomatic or have a very mild case. There will be a very small number of this group that may actually be impacted by it.  Players should be tested on a regular If test positive should be allowed to do school work virtually to protect people at risk and quarantine including avoiding family for the quarantine period. 

To me the real issue is not the players and playing the game but what happens in the stands.  I hate wearing a mask but I will turn 69 this year so when I go into any Public place I wear a mask.  If we allow people in the stands do we limit numbers and do we require that everyone wear a mask. I hate making people do things and I think some of the way some states have become dictatorial is wrong.  Normally I would say wearing a mask should be a personal choice in you should have the right to put yourself at risk, the issue is if you have Covid-19 and don't realize it not wearing a mask can put others at risk. Because not wearing a mask at a Public venue with close people to people contact I accept that the Venue should be able to say you must wear a mask and should also have masks available in case somebody does not have one. 

As someone who supports states "forcing" (my word, not yours) people to behave in a safe manner when they can't be trusted to do it themselves- I mean, why have a legal system at all, right?- I do understand the opposite perspective. However, Auburn football games are not a public space but a private affair, and the AD should be encouraged to do what they deem necessary to keep fans safe.

Side note: It's interesting to see how understanding of and belief in the common good varies by the individual's preferences and interests. 

59 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Based on what we know so far a healthy young athlete in most cases will be asymptomatic or have a very mild case

This should be the case, however, some players may be obese and/or have an autoimmune issue that previously was undetected. It should be a very rare incident, put still a possibility.  I’m sure there is a protocol for this type of situation.

Heard they get 1 hr with coaches then the rest is self directed.  You know Ryan Russell is going to push these guys to the limit (within reason)in this summer heat.  Hopefully will result in a tough team this season.

On 6/9/2020 at 4:30 AM, AUFriction said:

That will make it seem like the death rate is dropping when it really isn’t. 

Just a heads up, that isn’t how statistics work. All positive cases should be included to more accurately reflect the impact of the virus. Otherwise you are manipulating the dataset and invalidating the data. The limited testing of only those who are critically affected greatly inflated the overall impact of the virus. This has been a known issue with the data.

6 hours ago, tigerwings said:

Just a heads up, that isn’t how statistics work. All positive cases should be included to more accurately reflect the impact of the virus. Otherwise you are manipulating the dataset and invalidating the data. The limited testing of only those who are critically affected greatly inflated the overall impact of the virus. This has been a known issue with the data.

First, I’m a statistician...

But to address your comment more directly, I think you missed my point. I believe I was more or less agreeing with you. When testing was limited, the vast majority of those tested were extreme cases, and extreme cases have a higher death rate. There’s a substantial number of low symptom and asymptomatic carriers. When testing expanded, they started testing more of the people that had weak or no symptoms. This means that the numbers we are getting now are more accurate because there’s less range restriction on symptom severity. The virus hasn’t gotten less deadly. We just have more complete data now.

The fact that some are proposing that players if asymptomatic should play is terrifying. Are you really advocating putti g the lives of football players and their families that they interact with at risk simply to ensure the football season is played? We have had 115000 deaths with about 5 percent of the population infected (antibody testing data). Someone on here said let this run out til 90 percent of the population is infected.  Thats 20 x the population and if lethality remiains the same you woul be looking at 2.5 million deaths if that was to happen. Safety first. Safety before football. 

Archived