2021 4* CB Nyland Green (UGA)

ellitor

15 hours ago, DonDraper said:

Does he have any timeline for commitment? 

Not specific but just like many kids due to the crazy times we’re in it could be at any moment.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I think Clemson Lands him after Dabo repaired his reputation recently.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think Clemson Lands him after Dabo repaired his reputation recently.

I hope McGriff can get him to change his mind. After Leary committed this is my new #1 guy that I want us to get

51 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I hope McGriff can get him to change his mind. 

And Porter. Porter is the lead recruiter for us with him.

Yeah, I want Nyland more than I want Kool-Aide. Might be due to feeling like we have a better shot at him and that shading my judgement, but I LOVE his length. I hope we pull him AND he vaults to a 5 star rating.

5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, I want Nyland more than I want Kool-Aide. Might be due to feeling like we have a better shot at him and that shading my judgement, but I LOVE his length. I hope we pull him AND he vaults to a 5 star rating.

He definitely has a higher upside than Kool-Aid.

• 2 weeks later...
FWIW Chad Simmons posted he thinks AU leads for Nyland Green & has felt that way for weeks now.

Nyland Green's life plan is bigger than football

By Steve Wiltfong

The question was, if your life can turn out exactly the way you want it to, how does it go? Nyland Green’s response came quick.

And his answer had nothing to with the NFL. The No. 3 cornerback in the Top247 and No. 23 prospect overall didn’t mention a National Championship in college either.

The Covington (Ga.) Newton senior wasn’t thinking individual accolades, in fact football in general seemed far from his mind.

“I want to open a big homeless shelter,” Green said. “That is something I’ve always wanted to do.”

The 6-foot-2, 183-pound Green doesn’t have the facility yet but he’s already doing what he can to help those in need.

“He amazes me a lot,” Marvin Green, Nyland's father started in. “He came home one day, he said ‘dad I feel good about what I just did.’ He was like 14. He said “I just gave some money to a homeless person. I had 10 dollars in my pocket and I gave it to him.’ I couldn’t believe he did it. You’re so skeptical of so many people and I’m thinking you don’t know him and to find it in his spirit to do that, we don’t even know if we’re handing something to God himself as a test for him to do that.”

That action is now routine for Green. If he has a bag of food in his hand or a couple extra dollars in his pocket, he’s quick to give it to the homeless anytime he sees someone struggling.

“It’s just in me,” Green said. “I eat every day and I can only imagine not eating. They need it more than I do.”

“He’s just a special kid,” his dad rightfully boasted. “He’s different, he strives to be different from anybody else. He tries to do do things different. That’s what stands out most about him to me.”

A top recruiting target for the likes of Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, South Carolina and Tennessee, it wasn’t long ago that Green and his twin sister Nyla needed help. They lived in Mississippi, parents weren’t together, but Marvin who resides in Georgia had been fighting what was a losing custody battle for years. He made the drive two states over for a parent-teacher conference “and the fourth grade teacher didn’t even know how either of my kids made it to the fourth grade.”

Marvin’s stomach hurt and he was scared.

“I took all that information I had to the judge and he gave me sole custody, not joint, gave me sole custody.”

His kids were struggling educationally and Marvin hated the way it was trending.

“I’d been battling for custody for years and finally had the ammunition to make it happen,” he said. “These were my words to the judge, I want my children to be productive citizens and not be a statistics in this world.”

“I remember a lot of that but I don’t let it affect me,” Nyland said “From where I came from I knew I had to do better. I wasn’t getting in trouble but stuff I saw and went through.”

The elder Green who is an IT person and helps run a law firm with his wife Tina Williams were able to put Nyland and Nyla in private school from fifth to eighth grade and they’re both flourishing now. Nyla is an aspiring athletic trainer that wants to study sports medicine.

“Hopefully she’ll be his trainer for life,” Marvin laughed.

247Sports National Analyst Charles Power compares Green’s game to that of AJ Terrell who in April heard his named called in the first round of the NFL Draft out of Clemson. The Tigers have been trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball for Green but those SEC programs mentioned are in the thick of this recruitment as well. Nyla herself seems to like South Carolina.

“Has excellent stature and length for the position,” Power wrote in his evaluation. “Owns a lean build with room to fill out. Long-limbed with large hands. Is a bouncy athlete capable of making some above the rim dunks on the basketball court. Productive on both sides of the ball, playing receiver and corner. Shows high-level ball skills with the ability to track and high-point in contested situations. Can pluck the ball off the ground and come down with diving catches. Also works as a safety some for his high school team, showing range playing in cover two. Physical at the line of scrimmage and can use his length to disrupt wide receivers' releases. Shows fluidity in man coverage and can flip his hips and stay attached downfield. Will need to continue honing his cover technique and getting stronger but shows a promising skill set as a big outside cover corner.”

Obviously Green checks a lot of boxes. But the people close to him say it’s the intangibles that make Green truly unique.

“He’s probably the best listener I’ve ever coached,” Newton defensive backs coach Josh Skelton said, adding Green is a generational talent. “A guy you tell him one time he does it. Whether it’s on the field things or off the field things, he listens. He’s not hard-headed, so just his ability to listen is very uncommon at his age.

“We do things a little different,” Skelton continued. “We have 6 am workouts, ever since he was in the eighth grade we’ve always had 6 am workouts. He lives right across the street from the school. What he does every day, he walks to practice, at 5:40 he’s pretty much entering the building. He’s the first one at practice every morning, happy to work, he’s never missed a day. Even if he has a dentist appointment at 8 am he still makes practice. He never misses a workout. It’s almost a religion for him. One of the best things about him is that he really doesn’t believe or know how talented he is. All his confidence comes from his work ethic. When he plays in a game on Friday he’s confident because he strictly believes he outworked everyone out there. He believes he’s outworked everybody and his confidence is on another level because of that.”

That alarm in Nyland’s room goes off at 5 am and his father says he’s “nonstop” from there.

From morning workouts on the field, to an hour lifting in the home gym Nyland helped build, to the projects they seem to always be doing around the house which is now building a man cave in the backyard, to getting classwork done, Green seems to always be moving from one task to the next.

Always with a smile.

"This process has been amazing and something I never thought Id experience before," Nyland said. "But it's a blessing from God is really all I can say."

“I think he deserves everything coming his way,” Marvin said. “He works with us and get his hands dirty. He actually listens. When we told him he needed to be an example as far has his classroom work he did it. His attitude towards people, he became a role model and leader versus a kid walking among his peers.”

Where Green’s path continues is still up in the air. He’d like to make a college decision during his senior season. The pitch from these programs aren’t making it any easier.

“Oh man, Georgia hits me hard, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, Tennessee,” he said.

“It’s a hard decision for us to even choose,” his father added.

Um, this legit sounds like our kind of player. This is what we talk about with Gus and culture and such. This is the kid we don't get with killer instinct. This is the kid we get because Auburn is the kind of place he wants to be. And yeah, this is a kid you want on the field, but this is also a kid you want in the locker room and on our campus. Maybe we get him maybe we don't, but I'd bet anyone a dollar that if we do in fact lead for this kid, it's not because we recruited him more aggressively than the other guys. 

Can't live on "good guys" alone but I think it's a net positive that we appeal to these guys. 

Green is my number one want for this class of the uncommitted players. He's a guy that I, for one, want as an alumnus of Auburn, regardless of football. Wants to set up a homeless shelter? Yes, please. 

The fact that he is also arguably the best cover corner in this class is more than semantics, but it sure feels a whole lot smaller now.

@GwillMac6 already scoping out his place in the woods in case Green commits to AU. I hope that it is a serene place, maybe next to a stream and definitely free of poison oak/ivy. I’m pulling for you, bruh.....

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

@GwillMac6 already scoping out his place in the woods in case Green commits to AU. I hope that is a serene place, maybe next to a stream and definitely free of poison oak/ivy. I’m definitely pulling for you, bruh.....

1314959189_george_clooney__soon.gif

GivingImpossibleBeardedcollie-size_restricted.gif

Newton County kids are different. That’s a well run program with tough, hungry kids. It would behoove us to develop a pipeline there, even though it’s less than 45 minutes from Athens. Those kids are well coached and full of athleticism.

3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I sure hope coach McGriff can talk Nyland into commuting to Auburn. We need him big time.

Shoot, if he's going to play for us, I'd just as soon see him live here. 😁

Archived