coach Johnny Majors dies, 85

aubiefifty

Former Tennessee football coach Johnny Majors dies, 85

By Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com

Johnny Majors

Former Tennessee head football coach Johnny Majors waves to fans as he and members of the 1998 football team are introduced in the first half of an NCAA college football game against Mississippi State, Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019, in Knoxville, Tenn. Majors died Wednesday at age 85. (AP Photo/Wade Payne)AP

Tennessee football coach Johnny Majors has died, according to multiple reports. He was 85.

Jimmy Hyams, a longtime sports writer and radio host in Tennessee, published the following statement from Majors’ wife of 61 years, Mary Lynn Majors, on his blog Wednesday.

“It’s with a sad heart that we make this announcement,” Mary Lynn Majors said. “John passed away this morning. He spent his last hours doing something he dearly loved: looking out over his cherished Tennessee River.”

Majors coached at Tennessee from 1977-92, winning 116 games and SEC championships in 1985, 1989 and 1990. Prior to that, he won a national championship in his fourth season at Pittsburgh, leading the Panthers to a 12-0 record behind Heisman Trophy winner Tony Dorsett in 1976.

Majors also coached at Iowa State from 1968-72, and returned to Pittsburgh for four seasons following his tenure at Tennessee. Overall, he had a record of 185-137-10 in 29 years.

A Lynchburg, Tenn., native, Majors was a star halfback at Tennessee from 1953-56. He was SEC Player of the Year in 1955 and 1956, and Heisman Trophy runner-up to Notre Dame’s Paul Hornung as a senior.

Majors was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1987.

9 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

The Old Guard coaches are all slipping away.....

RIP Coach Majors

Sure seem to be. Hate to see them go. I have a lot of memories of the Auburn- Tennessee rivalry during the 80's with him and Dye. Sad couple of days for SEC fans. Then there was the realization today that I am just a generation behind these two men...pretty sobering. 

like some person said on the rant that these usually run in three's. i would hate to think gene stallings is next. when i was singing in a weekend vband we used to play for the association of retarded citizens for free. we played in golden springs down oxford al way. to this day one of those shows is one of my favorite memories ever. those kids and adults loved us. one young man was pacing a wall and wringing his hand and i was so afraid we were scaring him. we did two sets and after the first one this persons mother came up to me with him with her and he was crying. my heart sunk until i found out he was having so much fun he was afraid we were quitting. we hugged and i promised we would play more and do a song just for him. his mother said later that was the most emotion she had ever seen him display and she was going to load him up with music to enjoy.  anyway i got off subject. gene stalling got involved with them and rainbow omega and did so much for those kids i had to love him. and i think they changed the name from arc to rainbow because the name came off demeaning. but yes all these giants of their time are passing and it saddens me.

On 6/3/2020 at 5:16 PM, aubiefifty said:

like some person said on the rant that these usually run in three's. i would hate to think gene stallings is next. when i was singing in a weekend vband we used to play for the association of retarded citizens for free. we played in golden springs down oxford al way. to this day one of those shows is one of my favorite memories ever. those kids and adults loved us. one young man was pacing a wall and wringing his hand and i was so afraid we were scaring him. we did two sets and after the first one this persons mother came up to me with him with her and he was crying. my heart sunk until i found out he was having so much fun he was afraid we were quitting. we hugged and i promised we would play more and do a song just for him. his mother said later that was the most emotion she had ever seen him display and she was going to load him up with music to enjoy.  anyway i got off subject. gene stalling got involved with them and rainbow omega and did so much for those kids i had to love him. and i think they changed the name from arc to rainbow because the name came off demeaning. but yes all these giants of their time are passing and it saddens me.

Stallings or Dooley. :(

Archived