Mike Norvell Not off to a Great Start at FSU

Auburn 6

https://247sports.com/Article/Marvin-Wilson-Florida-State-football-players-wont-work-out-Mike-Norvell-quote-George-Floyd-147833020/

Florida State senior defensive tackle Marvin Wilson is apparently among many Seminoles football players upset with first-year head coach Mike Norvell. Just after midnight ET on Thursday, Wilson took to Twitter to express his displeasure with quotes Norvell made to a reporter in the wake of worldwide protests following the death of George Floyd in Minnesota.

Part of the comments Wilson and other members of the football team took issue with was Norvell telling the reporter that he spoke to them each individually. Wilson wrote on Twitter that the players instead received a "generated" text. A screenshot of Wilson's tweet can be seen below.

"Man this s—t did not happen mane," Wilson wrote in a tweet. "We got a generated text that was sent to everybody. There was no one on one talk between us and coach. This is a lie and me and my teammates as a whole are outraged and we will not be working out until further notice."

30 minutes ago, Auburn 6 said:

Man this s—t did not happen mane," Wilson wrote in a tweet. "We got a generated text that was sent to everybody. There was no one on one talk between us and coach. This is a lie and me and my teammates as a whole are outraged and we will not be working out until further notice."

Norvell needs to make efforts to fix this quickly. I understand the players being upset with this but some of them have NFL aspirations and not working out could potentially hurt those chances. Maybe there's another way to get his attention? We're so fortunate to have Gus. 

I saw this on ESPN and immediately thought man thank goodness Gus handled this properly. I don't think people appreciate the cord these issues strike with the black and brown communities. Since our sports teams are mostly comprised from members of these communities the coaches need to understand that this is not something that can be ignored and think its someone else's problem. 

Norvell needs to take a page out of the Brees playbook and do everything he can to apologize quickly and with total sincerity so he doesn't lose his team. Straight up lying about speaking with your team to look good in the media is a really bad look

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Norvell needs to take a page out of the Brees playbook and do everything he can to apologize quickly

This is conflating two different issues.  Norvell said he did something and didn’t, Brees expressed his opinion and was so woke scolded he was forced to apologize. Why would he have to apologize for being patriotic?   I’ll stop there.

If I was Mike Norvell, I would let Marvin Wilson know that it is not a requirement that he play football, its a privilege

I think he has lost the team, the team may go back to working out at some point but there will always be cracks in the foundation he is trying to build now.  No amount of apologizing to 18-21 year old's about trying to look good to the public and while involving them in your lie about racism, social injustice and police brutality.  Very sad.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is conflating two different issues.  Norvell said he did something and didn’t, Brees expressed his opinion and was so woke scolded he was forced to apologize. Why would he have to apologize for being patriotic?   I’ll stop there.

They are the same issue in that they both screwed up and need to do damage control. 

The whole kneeling thing is all messed up. That protest was never about being patriotic. It was made that way by media and others. America was built on peaceful protests like that but that is another argument for another time.

Brees screwed up by not reading the room correctly. He can say what he wants but if he wants his teammates to continue to support him he has to think about supporting them and their issues as well. What he said was not wrong just the timing. He realized that and corrected the mistake. Norvell should do the same but his situation might be a bit worse and harder to come back from. He has an uphill climb to get that team to fight for him now

15 minutes ago, gravejd said:

The whole kneeling thing is all messed up.

Totally agree.

15 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Brees screwed up by not reading the room correctly. He can say what he wants but if he wants his teammates to continue to support him he has to think about supporting them and their issues as well

If his teammates were wondering if they should support him, they could open up a discussion with him, but that’s not the way of the world today.  We must bypass open dialogue and go to social media and complain.  Very civilized.

18 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

We must bypass open dialogue and go to social media and complain

Worked well in middle school though.

20 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Totally agree.

If his teammates were wondering if they should support him, they could open up a discussion with him, but that’s not the way of the world today.  We must bypass open dialogue and go to social media and complain.  Very civilized.

Millennials and Gen Z spend their lives embedded in the social media culture. College athletes and the vast majority of NFL athletes fall into those two age groups.   SM is their way of communicating. If a person is going to work with young people then social media is a fact of life. Learn how to navigate in that world because it is unavoidable. 

It's no different than if you want to work effectively in Japan...you must know their language and culture. 

49 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Millennials and Gen Z spend their lives embedded in the social media culture. College athletes and the vast majority of NFL athletes fall into those two age groups.   SM is their way of communicating. If a person is going to work with young people then social media is a fact of life. Learn how to navigate in that world because it is unavoidable. 

It's no different than if you want to work effectively in Japan...you must know their language and culture. 

Drew Brees is from a different generation and generation gaps are a problem, but common decency should prevail.  If you are a teammate and have an issue, talk to the man.  SM is a way to communicate, it is also a way to show how virtuous a person is and to dump on people that have a differing opinion than yours.

He posted a 2nd apology today, will he ever be forgiven?  Will he end up in the HOF?  I hope he doesn’t run for office of any kind.  An interesting season for the Saints this year.

To the bolded part;  I don’t like the thought police and people telling me what to think, so I avoid most of it.

On 6/5/2020 at 2:58 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Drew Brees is from a different generation and generation gaps are a problem, but common decency should prevail.  If you are a teammate and have an issue, talk to the man.  SM is a way to communicate, it is also a way to show how virtuous a person is and to dump on people that have a differing opinion than yours.

He posted a 2nd apology today, will he ever be forgiven?  Will he end up in the HOF?  I hope he doesn’t run for office of any kind.  An interesting season for the Saints this year.

To the bolded part;  I don’t like the thought police and people telling me what to think, so I avoid most of it.

I'm not debating the pros and cons of SM. It is the primary communication tool used by young people.....you either get that or you don't. Brees is a little older...yes. But he also has used SM frequently so he should still know better. If you post it....you own it forever. 

Archived