Drew Brees Comments

Grumps

It's hilarious, people are literally trying to force CK into disrespecting the flag. They don't care about ANY facts. It's just has to be. And how can you be so adamant about disrespecting the flag and then support Trump? 

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's hilarious, people are literally trying to force CK into disrespecting the flag. They don't care about ANY facts. It's just has to be. And how can you be so adamant about disrespecting the flag and then support Trump? 

An honest question; why did CK pick the National Anthem to kneel?

36 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Did some googling. His comment after a game at that time: “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick told NFL Media after Friday’s game. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

More stuff on the saga: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

53 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I'm assuming because the National anthem is the only song played before the game

how much worse can you disrespect a flag than dodging the draft? his country called on him and he said no four times. ot was it five? kap started out by refusing to stand so one of our elite soldiers told him how to do it respectfully. and kap complied. but then we still have folks saying trump is not racist.

Honestly I don't like Kapernick cause all he has done is Monday Morning QB the police on their tactics, their attitude, their training. He has been invited to participate in ride along and training and wont do it. Then afterwards I just find him in my opinion to be a sell out and think lot his stuff is just about money.

For one, dude sure didn't have a problem with that 49er contract:

Through the indiscriminate use of terrorism and murder, California’s 49ers carried out one of the most successful—and, until recently, largely unacknowledged—campaigns of ethnic cleansing the world has ever seen.

Land losses were near total. Disease, malnutrition, and starvation—driven by exotic white pathogens and widespread environmental destruction—accounted for a significant reduction in the indigenous population. Murder did the rest.

The census of 1880 recorded just 16,277 Indians in California, a 90 percent decline from pre–Gold Rush days.

To his credit, current California Governor Gavin Newsom recently took one of the first steps to acknowledge the facts of history by issuing a formal apology to the state’s Native American tribes.

“It’s called a genocide,” Newsom said. “That’s what it was: a genocide. No other way to describe it. And that’s the way it needs to be described in the history books.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/real-story-49ers/605911/

This video shows Matt Forte riding with the police in Chicago. Kids wouldn't speak with him cause they thought he was a cop, and even after they find out who he is they say FU to him cause he is with the cops.

This is Malcolm Jenkins doing a ride along in Philadelphia. I find the part at the community center to be huge, cause these are leaders in that neighborhood trying to build positive bridges and pointing out to Mr. Jenkins that what he is doing now is how to do it.

C'mon Kap, wanna resolve issues then ride along in Englwood with CPD. Probably wont ever do it though cause this how they treat a black officer down there and already told Forte to FO. He would lose coolness/cred if he actually tried to help resolve issues with dialogue and communication.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-heckling-and-gunfire-as-police-investigate-shooting-we-re-just-playing-20160826-story.html

That's alright Kapernick. You pay for the defense of all your freedom fighters like Matthew Lee Rupert. I'll donate to my locale black owned business's like Private Stock that your freedom fighters ****** up for no reason.

If you're an NFL player that took a knee and then took time to reach out to police, ride along, start a dialogue then I have nothing but respect for you.

The Dolphins have been doing annual ride alongs with police and I believe they were some of the first group of officers to take a knee with protestors.

On 6/4/2020 at 2:56 PM, Grumps said:

I have several white friends who are finally really trying to understand how their actions are more racist than they thought. They finally actually want to do better. As crazy as it may seem, if Drew Brees is going to become a villain because of how he sees the National anthem then much of the progress that has been made in the hearts and minds of many of these white people is going to be erased. This is really sad to me.

even roger goddell who is the nfl commish { if i spelled it right} just released a statement saying they were wrong about cap.

13 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

even roger goddell who is the nfl commish { if i spelled it right} just released a statement saying they were wrong about cap.

There are a lot of people making statements right now but actions speak louder than words. We'll see where they stand and how they act  year or two from now.

"Habits eat good intentions for breakfast" - John Ortberg. 

7 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Honestly I don't like Kapernick cause all he has done is Monday Morning QB the police on their tactics, their attitude, their training. He has been invited to participate in ride along and training and wont do it. Then afterwards I just find him in my opinion to be a sell out and think lot his stuff is just about money.

For one, dude sure didn't have a problem with that 49er contract:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/real-story-49ers/605911/

This video shows Matt Forte riding with the police in Chicago. Kids wouldn't speak with him cause they thought he was a cop, and even after they find out who he is they say FU to him cause he is with the cops.

This is Malcolm Jenkins doing a ride along in Philadelphia. I find the part at the community center to be huge, cause these are leaders in that neighborhood trying to build positive bridges and pointing out to Mr. Jenkins that what he is doing now is how to do it.

C'mon Kap, wanna resolve issues then ride along in Englwood with CPD. Probably wont ever do it though cause this how they treat a black officer down there and already told Forte to FO. He would lose coolness/cred if he actually tried to help resolve issues with dialogue and communication.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-heckling-and-gunfire-as-police-investigate-shooting-we-re-just-playing-20160826-story.html

That's alright Kapernick. You pay for the defense of all your freedom fighters like Matthew Lee Rupert. I'll donate to my locale black owned business's like Private Stock that your freedom fighters ****** up for no reason.

If you're an NFL player that took a knee and then took time to reach out to police, ride along, start a dialogue then I have nothing but respect for you.

The Dolphins have been doing annual ride alongs with police and I believe they were some of the first group of officers to take a knee with protestors.

that man caught way more hate than he deserved. the same way with ali. ali went to prison for his beliefs. and all he had to do was tout and spar for the soldiers but he did not want one kid dying because of him. they called him a coward even tho he was told he would never fight. and now of course we know nam was one lie after another. i will always have a special place in my heart for nam vets. i spent three and a half years at the pentagon and let me tell you soldiers were despised by most of the citizens. this is not here say as i saw it. many times. i was a seventeen year old sailor stationed at the pentagon right out of a school and i caught the looks. i thought i did something great for my country but i never felt so hated in my life. it got better before i got out but i have never forgotten it.

crap anyway back to cap. i am not sure he was wanted on any drive alongs. he got more death threats and hate than most folks. hell i did not like him because he made fun of cam in the superbowl taunting him with the superman thing.

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

There are a lot of people making statements right now but actions speak louder than words. We'll see where they stand and how they act  year or two from now.

"Habits eat good intentions for breakfast" - John Ortberg. 

i will tell you all this mess has made me one sad camper. i have slept through he last three days. all this hate and sorrow had made my depression worse. here in the anniston area we had thugs spray painting black lives matter on gravestones. i think they damaged some as well. guess what? it was two white kids or young adults trying to help start a race war. that police officer in moody? he was set up for murder. two people raised hell and the woman called police needing help and when the officer showed up they shot through the door hitting him numerous times. then they fought other law enforcement while the moody officer died a slow and agonizing death because they could not get to him. i weep for my country. all a race war would do is destroy us.

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i will tell you all this mess has made me one sad camper. i have slept through he last three days. all this hate and sorrow had made my depression worse. here in the anniston area we had thugs spray painting black lives matter on gravestones. i think they damaged some as well. guess what? it was two white kids or young adults trying to help start a race war. that police officer in moody? he was set up for murder. two people raised hell and the woman called police needing help and when the officer showed up they shot through the door hitting him numerous times. then they fought other law enforcement while the moody officer died a slow and agonizing death because they could not get to him. i weep for my country. all a race war would do is destroy us.

The irony

Protestors- don't want to be judged as a whole based on the actions of the few.

Law enforcement- being largely judged based on the actions of the few.

It's sad and it's bad for the majority of civilians and public servants.

I hope you feel better soon. 

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The irony

i already feel better and will get out for some kind of treat. and yes i have huge respect for cops and i hate bad ones. the reason is anytime someone retaliates after an incident the bad cop never gets it but usually a good cop. in short bad cops get good cops killed. remember that sniper in texas? he killed several officers before he just vanished and from what i remember reading those were good cops who truly served and did things the right way. but it is hard to get a cop to report a bad cop unless things have changed because they fear needing backup and it being slow or not coming. there may be other reasons as well. i also do not agree with police policing themselves either.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:39 PM, homersapien said:

It's ironic how many people see Kaepernick insulting the country and the men who fought for it but are fine with Trump using the bible as an obvious and cynical political prop for a photo op.

But more to the point, such statements such as Brees's presume that kneeling during the anthem is somehow more harmful to the country's principles than cops simply ignoring or dismissing those principle when applied to black people.

That's more insulting to the cause that veterans and fought and died for.  It only serves to make their sacrifices vain and a hypocritical sham instead of truly meaningful.

Do not all Americans deserve the protections of our democracy, or is it only for white people?

I think the vast majority will tell you all Americans deserve the protections of our democracy. However, there are some who do not believe this. For example, by telling the police to stand down as people unlawfully caused destruction of and stole from businesses in NYC; their mayor proved by his actions that those business owners didn’t deserve the protections of our democracy. Something similar happened previously in Baltimore. 

On 6/5/2020 at 10:08 AM, ArgoEagle said:

There was no need for Drew to apologize. His statement was patriotic, not racist.

Police Brutality is Wrong!!!

Racism is Wrong!!!

Disrespecting one's county is Wrong!!!

3 Wrongs don't make a Right!!!

There are other ways to protest.

I would not fly a confederate flag in my yard because I know it offends many. I understand why many are offended by that flag independent of my personal feelings about it one way or the other. I would not fly it out of respect for those it offends. I wish CK and others can understand kneeling during our national anthem offends many people.  I wish people would not kneel out of respect for those it offends independent of their personal feelings about it one way or the other. I wish more people including our political leaders on both sides would do more to unite us than to divide us. 

3 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I would not fly a confederate flag in my yard because I know it offends many. I understand why many are offended by that flag independent of my personal feelings about it one way or the other. I would not fly it out of respect for those it offends. I wish CK and others can understand kneeling during our national anthem offends many people.  I wish people would not kneel out of respect for those it offends independent of their personal feelings about it one way or the other. I wish more people including our political leaders on both sides would do more to unite us than to divide us. 

Those two things are not even close to equivalent.

20 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Those two things are not even close to equivalent.

They are similar in that both actions do offend many fellow human beings and both actions would/do divide us. 

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm assuming because the National anthem is the only song played before the game

@savorytigerlinked an article that explains it rather well.  It seems CK’s initial point was to disrespect the flag and draw attention to his cause.  I wasn’t until former Green Beret Nate Boyer pointed out the third verse of the National Anthem that the narrative took a different tone.

The third verse:

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

My statement:  I don’t think CK was aware of this verse until Boyer pointed it out and his original intent was to get the biggest *bang for the buck* he could by sitting/kneeling for the National Anthem.

From the article:  note that the phrase “hireling and slave” refers to black slaves hired to fight on the side of the British during the War of 1812:

https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/08/29/star-spangled-banner-and-slavery/

I’m not sure how the logic goes if a person believes the soldiers that fought for the South in the Civil War were traitors and the *hirelings and slaves* that fought against the U.S. in the war of 1812 are not.

I have always go with the look at what they do, not what they say and this is why some people have an issue with CK (not the protests or the cause).  In July of 2019 CK had NIKE cancel a shoe that depicted the original flag Betsy Ross designed as he believed some white supremacy groups were using it as a symbol of discrimination.  I can see the Stars and Bars as racist and the song Dixie as the same, but the original flag of the U.S.?  This goes IMO to his disrespect for the flag and, therefore, the U.S. in general.

Mr. Kaepernick, who signed a lucrative deal to serve as a Nike brand ambassador last year, expressed the concern to the company that the Betsy Ross flag had been co-opted by groups espousing racist ideologies, the person said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/02/business/betsy-ross-shoe-kaepernick-nike.html

I hope you can see how some people feel about CK and the way he has handled his personal life.  What he has done is open up a conversation, which is good.  @Texan4Auburn points out, he seems to be a sell out.  Someone else needs to be the point man here.

10 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Honestly I don't like Kapernick cause all he has done is Monday Morning QB the police on their tactics, their attitude, their training. He has been invited to participate in ride along and training and wont do it. Then afterwards I just find him in my opinion to be a sell out and think lot his stuff is just about money

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

The irony

"Judging" innocent protestors- Shooting them with rubber bullets, spraying them with tear gas, inflicting various other forms of violence on them, denying them their civil liberties and constitutional rights

"Judging" police officers- Saying they suck

I see neither irony nor equivalency.

57 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

They are similar in that both actions do offend many fellow human beings and both actions would/do divide us. 

One is a clear symbol of an anti-American insurgency against the United States of America to preserve slavery and has since been co-opted by white supremacists. The other is a brief personal statement that the individual believes our country is not living up to its stated values by kneeling when a song is played that specifies “freemen shall stand.”

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

One is a clear symbol of an anti-American insurgency against the United States of America to preserve slavery and has since been co-opted by white supremacists. The other is a brief personal statement that the individual believes our country is not living up to its stated values by kneeling when a song is played that specifies “freemen shall stand.”

Yours is one perspective. I accept your perspective. The problem is that it is a one way street. You don’t accept the perspective of those (which there are plenty) who are offended when someone takes a knee during our national anthem. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"Judging" innocent protestors- Shooting them with rubber bullets, spraying them with tear gas, inflicting various other forms of violence on them, denying them their civil liberties and constitutional rights

"Judging" police officers- Saying they suck

I see neither irony nor equivalency.

There is more going on than someone "saying" they suck which was my response to fifty but you know that. I didn't say anything about either behavior having equivalency to the other. That seems to be a problem here and other places, people not liking an opinion different from theirs. You have yours and I have mine. I also have a daughter who is a Sheriff's deputy and my concern is that someone has more than an opinion of her uniform and decides that she is like the bad cop. In regard to what's happening to the protesters I don't like hostile treatment either. Mutual respect of the right to protest and the obligation to enforce the law has been OBE. I'm not anti-protest, just anti-violence, again both ways. 

24 minutes ago, gr82be said:

There is more going on than someone "saying" they suck which was my response to fifty but you know that. I didn't say anything about either behavior having equivalency to the other. That seems to be a problem here and other places, people not liking an opinion different from theirs. You have yours and I have mine. I also have a daughter who is a Sheriff's deputy and my concern is that someone has more than an opinion of her uniform and decides that she is like the bad cop. In regard to what's happening to the protesters I don't like hostile treatment either. Mutual respect of the right to protest and the obligation to enforce the law has been OBE. I'm not anti-protest, just anti-violence, again both ways. 

You're right. I apologize. I misinterpreted your post.

Sincerest hopes for your daughter's continued safety and that of her fellow officers.

32 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Yours is one perspective. I accept your perspective. The problem is that it is a one way street. You don’t accept the perspective of those (which there are plenty) who are offended when someone takes a knee during our national anthem. 

But you’re offended because someone isn’t sharing your view of the level of respect a song is afforded— it’s not really even the flag— the flag remains the whole game. It’s just during the song in which someone dares not act like you. You find someone not sharing your perspective as offensive. They’re not offended that you fly the American flag or salute it.

Archived