Drew Brees Comments

Grumps

It is humorous to me that we can criticize the police force for inadequate actions, while putting up with our federal, state and local government officials that continue their impersonations of "Heckle and Jeckle" !

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

WTF does that have to do with Cole's post?  :dunno:

It is explained above. In 1981, the captain was completely in charge (like a police officer has complete power over an arrest situation). Over time (as each generation retired) policies and procedures became the most important thing instead of whatever the captain said. Open lines of communication between  the entire flight team became the norm. So, MAYBE instead of the arresting officer having complete authority, the proper procedures could be mandatory, then other officers (and even laypeople) on the scene could point out the correct procedures, thereby almost forcing the arresting officer to follow the proper procedures. That's how I read it.

3 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

It is humorous to me that we can criticize the police force for inadequate actions, while putting up with our federal, state and local government officials that continue their impersonations of "Heckle and Jeckle" !

That's why they want us fighting each other.

21 minutes ago, homersapien said:

WTF does that have to do with Cole's post?  :dunno:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Grumps said:

It is explained above. In 1981, the captain was completely in charge (like a police officer has complete power over an arrest situation). Over time (as each generation retired) policies and procedures became the most important thing instead of whatever the captain said. Open lines of communication between  the entire flight team became the norm. So, MAYBE instead of the arresting officer having complete authority, the proper procedures could be mandatory, then other officers (and even laypeople) on the scene could point out the correct procedures, thereby almost forcing the arresting officer to follow the proper procedures. That's how I read it.

Well it was a great analysis of why the airline industry maintains "quality" and trust, but I think Cole was making the point of what we - the citizenry -  are willing to put up with. 

In other words, our society - as a whole - has been rather complacent about poor "quality" in policing - while we wouldn't stand for it in other fields. Part of this may be related to the fact most of us are white and don't experience that poor "quality" like minorities.

But I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well it was a great analysis of why the airline industry maintains "quality" and trust, but I think Cole was making the point of what we - the citizenry -  are willing to put up with. 

In other words, our society - as a whole - has been rather complacent about poor "quality" in policing - while we wouldn't stand for it in other fields. Part of this may be related to the fact most of us are white and don't experience that poor "quality" like minorities.

But I could be wrong.

I agree with you. I was just trying to answer your question.

15 hours ago, homersapien said:

But I could be wrong.

The airline is a for profit organization and maintaining *quality* is the life blood of the organization, therefore, the motivation is to be the best you can be and not let complacency creep in to the organization.  Training and evaluation does not contribute to the bottom line, but is a cost, a needed cost.  The airlines know that a bad trend can happen at anytime and have systems to recognize these trends and act accordingly.

The police, teachers and firefighters/EMTs are also a cost, but the revenue that comes in is by taxes and it is difficult to increase that type of revenue.  Because of this, there is no incentive to increase costs of a system that has been sufficient (if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it).  Until Floyd’s tragic death, the level of policing has been *good enough*.  Now, the narrative is that it has never been good and we need to throw it out, which is not true.  

If the police want to improve their *quality* they may have to invest in more training and evaluation to change the culture (which I believe is the major problem).

I, too could be wrong.

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The airline is a for profit organization and maintaining *quality* is the life blood of the organization, therefore, the motivation is to be the best you can be and not let complacency creep in to the organization.  Training and evaluation does not contribute to the bottom line, but is a cost, a needed cost.  The airlines know that a bad trend can happen at anytime and have systems to recognize these trends and act accordingly.

The police, teachers and firefighters/EMTs are also a cost, but the revenue that comes in is by taxes and it is difficult to increase that type of revenue.  Because of this, there is no incentive to increase costs of a system that has been sufficient (if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it).  Until Floyd’s tragic death, the level of policing has been *good enough*.  Now, the narrative is that it has never been good and we need to throw it out, which is not true.  

If the police want to improve their *quality* they may have to invest in more training and evaluation to change the culture (which I believe is the major problem).

I, too could be wrong.

Good points. 

I just hope the political pressure remains high enough to make it happen.  Not really sure of what role regulation might play, but we at least need to collect and keep the data.

Other than training and evaluation, I think body cameras are crucial. That ought to be mandatory for the protection of everyone, including the cops themselves.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Other than training and evaluation, I think body cameras are crucial. That ought to be mandatory for the protection of everyone, including the cops themselves.

The body cameras could be a useful tool for training and evaluation, not just as a tool to determine the facts.

Archived