Newsroom Breaks Into Open Revolt After New York Times Publishes Call for Military Crackdown

The cancellations will hurt the writers most.

And Tom dumbass Cotton won't lose a wink of sleep over it.

That's the wrong reaction.

As the slate article points out, Bret Stephens caused some cancellations too.

David Brooks is apparently one of the few that can be tolerated. 

A member of the Taliban got to write one without setting a record for cancellations.  Tom Cotton is worse than the Taliban.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/20/opinion/taliban-afghanistan-war-haqqani.amp.html

2 hours ago, Auburn85 said:

Tom Cotton is worse than the Taliban.

Well, yeah. An American advocating for military action against other Americans exercising their rights is about as bad as it gets.

There are neighborhoods that are asking for something like this. South/West Sides of Chicago are no fans of the police, but even they have asked for backup from military national guard atm to help protect their neighborhoods.

Now I am not talking about going through and taking military type action on people. The show of them will be a huge deterrent. Our friend that is CPD said you could tell the difference in crowds and their reactions to officers that were beat cops and when SWAT was actually on the street and could be seen.

Mean right now couple of your Chicago neighborhoods the law is openly the Latin Kings.

Entertaining video.... my favorite is "Ya'll know what I'm about to do?... I'm bout to go get me some blunts... Ya'll cant do that no more" lol

Incredibly not work safe

Looters and rioters are committing crimes. Tom Cotton was advocating for the protection of the rights of those law abiding Americans, such as peaceful protestors and business owners, whose rights are being violated by those criminals. When local and state government fails or refuses to protect it's own citizens, it falls on the Federal government. That's why we have the insurrection act in the first place. It's been used 20 times by US Presidents and as recently as JFK x 3, LBJ x 4 and GHWB x 2.  

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The cancellations will hurt the writers most.

And Tom dumbass Cotton won't lose a wink of sleep over it.

That's the wrong reaction.

100% the wrong reaction by the newsroom staff.  Let it be published then let the public take him down.  Whether one likes it or not, the speech needs to be heard.  He's not a hate group leader or anything.  He's a sitting U.S. Senator.  His opinion, while I think misguided, matters.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

100% the wrong reaction by the newsroom staff.  Let it be published then let the public take him down.  Whether one likes it or not, the speech needs to be heard.  He's not a hate group leader or anything.  He's a sitting U.S. Senator.  His opinion, while I think misguided, matters.

In the current climate, there seems to be such a rush to judgement on anything not in line with one's personal convictions. Not only that but there also seems to be drastic  corresponding overcorrections to the perceived "wrongness". 

There are two types of thinkers/problem solvers. There are those that form opinions and make decisions based on emotion and those that do the same based on logic.  To me, when I look around I see shallow, ill-thought emotional reactions with little regard to their potential. There increasingly seems to be little room or patience for those that would rather gather information, process it, and create logical responses.  Everything must be now, must be handled with extreme outrage and ire, and with as little consideration to the possibility of another view.  Differing opinions? Hell no! Scream, call names, dig your heels in, and bury your head that works every time.

Most Americans would agree that they and their opposites have more in common than they do differences. However, that silent majority gets shouted down by both sides. There is less of a premium on cooperation, compromise, and "good of the country" now than there ever has been in my lifetime. It's all about make the other look bad no matter what so we can keep power. It doesn't matter that literally nothing major has been accomplished politically in 30 years. Hell, we can't even agree to fix our failing bridges and dams, but we can certainly waste years and spend billions chasing birth certificates, bleached servers, Russian bots, or foreign "board members".  

Unfortunately, neither side will recognize it because they are preoccupied formulating the next inflated scandal or hyperirrational reaction to some perceived slight that has little bearing on the real world and nothing to offer politically.

9 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

There are neighborhoods that are asking for something like this. South/West Sides of Chicago are no fans of the police, but even they have asked for backup from military national guard atm to help protect their neighborhoods.

Now I am not talking about going through and taking military type action on people. The show of them will be a huge deterrent. Our friend that is CPD said you could tell the difference in crowds and their reactions to officers that were beat cops and when SWAT was actually on the street and could be seen.

Mean right now couple of your Chicago neighborhoods the law is openly the Latin Kings.

Entertaining video.... my favorite is "Ya'll know what I'm about to do?... I'm bout to go get me some blunts... Ya'll cant do that no more" lol

Incredibly not work safe

Thank you for sharing this. I don't know how important it is in the grand scheme of things. I don't know who these people are, who they really represent, or how much weight there is to their words. But these are conversations I haven't heard. These are experiences I don't even remotely understand. These people are coming from somewhere else and it's a good reminder to get out of my bubble in thought and deed and try to think about the things I'm not thinking about.

Thanks again for sharing. 

18 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you for sharing this. I don't know how important it is in the grand scheme of things. I don't know who these people are, who they really represent, or how much weight there is to their words. But these are conversations I haven't heard. These are experiences I don't even remotely understand. These people are coming from somewhere else and it's a good reminder to get out of my bubble in thought and deed and try to think about the things I'm not thinking about.

Thanks again for sharing. 

I thought it just showed how out of control some areas in Chicago are atm. The first guys are Latin Kings. Second video not sure, just know there is like 157,000 Mexicans in one place (probably little Village area), his words lol. Third guy I'm sure is a 26er, which is another Latin gang. I'd bet, but not sure, that the first black guy is a Disciple. The last one is a security cop but he is giving a good run down of how the Latin Kings basically just said nobody is coming in.

Then remember, these are the guys the officers in Chicago are dealing with on a daily basis even when the protest are not going on. Scary thing is that the guy in the car is right, when the supplies run out from looting the next neighborhoods over are usually Latino and they are gonna be like hell no.

Combine that with tired officers, all officers have had vacations and furloughs cancelled in the CPD, and that is like a potential powder keg. Think about a block with the Kings on one side saying your not coming in, and the Disciples on the other trying to get essential supplies for families. Then right in the middle of them is the CPD.

It might be better to have the guard or military standing there. Least it would be more intimidating and might deter violence. Even that might not help if those two decide to go at it though.

On 6/4/2020 at 10:27 PM, McLoofus said:

Well, yeah. An American advocating for military action against other Americans exercising their rights is about as bad as it gets.

He isn’t advocating anything against peaceful protesters. I think we should all be united against the destruction of businesses and stealing. Is it more extreme to tell your police dept. to stand down and allow your city to burn and for businesses to be vandalized and to allow stealing or is it more extreme to send in what is necessary to stop this when the local “leaders” refuse to fulfill their constitutional duty?

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/501249-nyt-says-tom-cotton-editorial-did-not-meet-our-standards

The New York Times said on Thursday the controversial op-ed written by Republican Sen. Tom Cotton (Ark.) “did not meet our standards.”

The Times published the column, titled "Tom Cotton: Send In the Troops" on Wednesday, where he argued that the president should invoke the Insurrection Act to quell protests that have sparked up across the country in light of the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who died in Minneapolis police custody last week.

“We've examined the piece and the process leading up to its publication,” a Times spokesperson told The Hill in a statement. “This review made clear that a rushed editorial process led to the publication of an Op-Ed that did not meet our standards. 

“As a result, we're planning to examine both short term and long term changes, to include expanding our fact checking operation and reducing the number of Op-Eds we publish.”

In the opinion piece, Cotton called for "an overwhelming show of force to disperse, detain and ultimately deter lawbreakers."

The op-ed included factual errors that the Times has reported on, such as the claim that antifa, which is not a formal organization, is “infiltrating protest marches to exploit Floyd’s death for their own anarchic purposes.”

The backlash was swift, and much of it came from within the Times itself.

Numerous staffers argued that publishing such sentiments endangered the lives of black journalists at the newspaper, writing: “Running this puts Black@NYTimes staff in danger.”

Other writers and journalists wrote they were temporarily going to stop producing content for the Times and unsubscribe from the newspaper.

Earlier Thursday, Cotton praised the Times in an interview on Fox News for publishing his opinion piece and standing up "to the woke progressive mob in their own newsroom."

“We obviously don't agree on very much,” Cotton said of the Times. “But, in this case, they ran my opinion piece with which they disagreed. And, they’ve stood up to the woke progressive mob in their own newsroom. So, I commend them for that."

Archived