Defund the Police

Auburn85

32 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So things are way more complicated than that.  It's not as simple as abolishing the police.

When most people are saying "defund", they are talking about re-appropriating chunks of money to programs that actually work to rehabilitation instead of incarceration.  Also pointing out the excess money that police spend on military grade weaponry, which is unnecessary.  Defunding doesn't have to mean total stripping of all budgets.  What it does mean is spending money in a smarter way and rebuilding police departments in the image of their respective community.

I see you mean like the criminal justice reform the current administration already was able to accomplish.  The problem is when the BLM rally in Minneapolis is talking about it, they are talking about abolishing the police.  

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So things are way more complicated than that.  It's not as simple as abolishing the police.

When most people are saying "defund", they are talking about re-appropriating chunks of money to programs that actually work to rehabilitation instead of incarceration.  Also pointing out the excess money that police spend on military grade weaponry, which is unnecessary.  Defunding doesn't have to mean total stripping of all budgets.  What it does mean is spending money in a smarter way and rebuilding police departments in the image of their respective community.

Don't you realize that most police departments are already under staffed and under funded? If people want to dump more money into social programs, fine. But getting that money from the police budget would be suicide for the city that did it that way.

4 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

No, I wasn't clear in my post.  The BLM rally in Minneapolis told their mayor to get the F out of here if when he told the crowd he disagreed with them as it relates to abolishing the police.  The BLM folks were slinging names....not me.  I don't use that word.  

now you are just plain ol lying dude. you said if i did not agree with it i should get the f out too. your words. go back and look.

37 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you just told me to get the f out of here if i disagreed. it is my country as well.it is my board as well as anyone elses. i will leave when i choose or if i step over the line and get removed. but that stupid comment you made might get the discussion shut down in case you did not know.

No, I was not clear enough in my post.  That is what the BLM rally in Minneapolis told the mayor yesterday when he told them he was not for abolishing the police dept.  BLM rally attendees yelled loudly and repeatedly for the mayor to get the F out of here.   

33 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

"Says it right here on this hat. He's gonna make America great again. Your hat says you don't want any law enforcement anymore. Conversation over." 

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

now you are just plain ol lying dude. you said if i did not agree with it i should get the f out too. your words. go back and look.

I am not lying. I do understand how my post could be taken that way.  I am wrong for not being clear.  But I am telling you the BLM rally in Minneapolis yelled for the mayor of Minneapolis to get the F out of here when he told him he was opposed to abolishing the police force.  

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

Please: Take the time to go back and read what he originally wrote. He was not speaking to you. He was quoting the BLM leader's remarks to their mayor.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Please: Take the time to go back and read what he originally wrote. He was not speaking to you. He was quoting the BLM leader's remarks to their mayor.

You are correct.  Looking back I could have made it more clear though.  I wrongly assumed everyone interested in this topic would know the BLM folks did that to the mayor yesterday.  

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

i just did. but he also quoted me directly with those comments. in truth i have been nice about it and you have to admit that anyway.

16 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I see you mean like the criminal justice reform the current administration already was able to accomplish.  The problem is when the BLM rally in Minneapolis is talking about it, they are talking about abolishing the police.  

There's more to it than what has already been codified.  The laws passed do not address the militarization of police, recruiting from minority communities, or retraining methods.  Again, you're over-simplifying things to fit an agenda.

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i just did. but he also quoted me directly with those comments. in truth i have been nice about it and you have to admit that anyway.

Everyone who has commented, other than yourself, has said you misinterpreted his comment. It was not directed at you, it was a quote of a BLM leader's remark to their mayor. You were not insulted in any way. There was nothing for you to be nice about. Look, I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just trying to clear up an unnecessary situation. As the cartoon used to end: "That's All Folks!"

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

BTW, I was in your town on Sunday.  My wife and I an some friends went to an antique shop called Timeless Treasures. We rode around the town and also went out to the Buckner area where the military base used to be.  Neat area and I didn't realize ihe topography was so nice until I rode around a lot in Anniston. 

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Don't you realize that most police departments are already under staffed and under funded? If people want to dump more money into social programs, fine. But getting that money from the police budget would be suicide for the city that did it that way.

Under-funded?  Hardly.  Take L.A. for an example.  A full 30% of that city's budget is dedicated to the police force.  New York's budget for police is $5 billion.  From the New York Post:

"New York City spends more on policing than it does on the Departments of Health, Homeless Services, Housing Preservation and Development, and Youth and Community Development combined."

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Everyone who has commented, other than yourself, has said you misinterpreted his comment. It was not directed at you, it was a quote of a BLM leader's remark to their mayor. You were not insulted in any way. There was nothing for you to be nice about. Look, I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just trying to clear up an unnecessary situation. As the cartoon used to end: "That's All Folks!"

no i understood you when you posted the first time and i appreciate it. i took it wrong. i am just proud thinking what i thought i did not respond in a really bad way. but yes mikey thanks and you did the right thing.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

There's more to it than what has already been codified.  The laws passed do not address the militarization of police, recruiting from minority communities, or retraining methods.  Again, you're over-simplifying things to fit an agenda.

I heard and saw what the BLM rally in Minneapolis is calling for with my own eyes and ears and I heard the city council person interviewed.  You are trying to over complicate the issue in Minneapolis to fit your agenda. The mayor on Minneapolis told the BLM rally he was fine with changing the police dept, but not abolishing it.  When he said that they booed him and told him to get the F out of here. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Under-funded?  Hardly.  Take L.A. for an example.  A full 30% of that city's budget is dedicated to the police force.  New York's budget for police is $5 billion.  From the New York Post:

"New York City spends more on policing than it does on the Departments of Health, Homeless Services, Housing Preservation and Development, and Youth and Community Development combined."

Whether there is fat there that could be trimmed, I'm not in a position to know. Looking at the situations of our three largest cities, I think adding more personnel to their police departments would help, particularly in Chicago. Saw a news clip today that 47 black people have been murdered in Chicago since George Floyd's death. When a person goes fishing, they go "where they're biting", where the action is. If the goal of Black Lives Matter is to save black lives, Chicago would be a good place to direct attention and spend some time and money.

5 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I heard and saw what the BLM rally in Minneapolis is calling for with my own eyes and ears and I heard the city council person interviewed.  You are trying to over complicate the issue in Minneapolis to fit your agenda. The mayor on Minneapolis told the BLM rally he was fine with changing the police dept, but not abolishing it.  When he said that they booed him and told him to get the F out of here. 

You're acting as if one protest in Minneapolis speaks for the entirety of the movement.  It's ignorance at its finest.

5 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

BTW, I was in your town on Sunday.  My wife and I an some friends went to an antique shop called Timeless Treasures. We rode around the town and also went out to the Buckner area where the military base used to be.  Neat area and I didn't realize ihe topography was so nice until I rode around a lot in Anniston. 

to my dismay anniston is dying. people have wanted to be annexed to oxford. our city council fights all the time. originally i am from gadsden and lived close enough to the falls toe get there in ten minutes on a bicycle. you should try mentone sometimes. stunning scenery and wonderful places to eat. they have great entertainment and story telling etc. little river casnyon is thirty minutes from gadsden the back way and it is awesome as well. biggest gorge east of the the gran canyon i believe. lots of waterfalls and stuff. northeast alabama is a treasure in its own right. i had hope the fort could do something like that with those mountains but because of training missions with cannons they are off limits do to so many rounds that never went off............

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Whether there is fat there that could be trimmed, I'm not in a position to know. Looking at the situations of our three largest cities, I think adding more personnel to their police departments would help, particularly in Chicago. Saw a news clip today that 47 black people have been murdered in Chicago since George Floyd's death. When a person goes fishing, they go "where they're biting", where the action is. If the goal of Black Lives Matter is to save black lives, Chicago would be a good place to direct attention and spend some time and money.

Know how you stop street crime?  Opportunity.  Create economic and educational opportunities in poor communities and see what happens.  I commend people like Shad Khan (owner of the Jaguars).  He is actually building manufacturing hubs on the south side of Chicago to give people those opportunities.

All research evidence indicates that more police and harsher tactics don't lead to less crime.   That same evidence shows more economic and educational opportunities do in fact lead to less crime.  You'd basically be better off burning money if all you want to do is beef up a police force.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Know how you stop street crime?  Opportunity. 

Oh. Like President Trump's opportunity zones. Gotcha!

18 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

no i understood you when you posted the first time and i appreciate it. i took it wrong. i am just proud thinking what i thought i did not respond in a really bad way. but yes mikey thanks and you did the right thing.

I am at fault too as I my post wasn't clear enough.  

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

i read a book on the police in detroit last year and i was stunned at how little the officers made. the book was written by some british cat who was a bobby in england. he said and many police agreed that the gangs did more reaching out to kids than churches and government and that was a big problem. i believe there were some crooked politicians as well. but if you think blacks are blowing their treatment out of proportion why is there no clean drinking water still? that was one way obama let me down. he sipped a little of that water and said it was fine when in fact it was not. i still do not understand it............

Just now, SocialCircle said:

I am at fault too as I my post wasn't clear enough.  

i have done the very same thing before so it is all good.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i read a book on the police in detroit last year and i was stunned at how little the officers made. the book was written by some british cat who was a bobby in england. he said and many police agreed that the gangs did more reaching out to kids than churches and government and that was a big problem. i believe there were some crooked politicians as well. but if you think blacks are blowing their treatment out of proportion why is there no clean drinking water still? that was one way obama let me down. he sipped a little of that water and said it was fine when in fact it was not. i still do not understand it............

Because both sides really have no interest in fixing problems. Problems are how they get elected. It goes along with the doctor's saying "A patient cured is a patient lost"........

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Because both sides really have no interest in fixing problems. Problems are how they get elected. It goes along with the doctor's saying "A patient cured is a patient lost"........

i am beginning to believe that. all those kids tho. dying. born retarded. eaten up with cancer.or already dead from it. babies dying. it breaks my heart.

Archived