Why the policing problem isn’t about “a few bad apples”

“The system was designed this way”: A former prosecutor on the fundamental problem with law enforcement.

..... Let’s think about the Floyd case. Before we get to the killing, let’s think about the arrest. The store owner called the police and said that someone had tried to pass a fake $20 bill. The police respond, and what they do is virtually impossible to imagine happening to a white person. What they do is to approach Mr. Floyd’s car like he’s a violent thug. They order Mr. Floyd and the passengers to exit the car. One officer has his hand on his gun. They put Mr. Floyd in handcuffs. When he falls to the ground, they leave him on the ground in handcuffs, and then, as the whole world knows, they hold him down by his back and knee and legs for 10 minutes until he dies. I just can’t imagine that happening to a white person over a $20 bill.

Black and brown people experience very different treatment from the police than white people do, and it’s so endemic that the police just can’t help themselves. I thought the most compelling example of that was how differently the CNN reporters were treated in Minneapolis. A white CNN reporter is basically on the same ground, doing the same thing — while cops roll up on the black reporter and arrest him, cops go to the white reporter and say, “We’d like you to move, please,” and he says, “Okay.” But he doesn’t move as far as they would like and they say, “Could you please move some more?” And he says, “Sure.”

The thing that’s so revealing about that is that it all happens on national television, at a rally about excessive force and racist policing. I could just imagine, at the roll call that morning for the officers, when they’re getting their instructions from the sergeant, the sergeant says, “Okay, guys, we know that we’re guarding this rally about police brutality and discriminatory enforcement; let’s not be racist, don’t be racist, it’s really important that we not be racist today.” And they still can’t help themselves.....

Read the full piece at: https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/6/2/21276799/george-floyd-protest-criminal-justice-paul-butler

15 hours ago, alexava said:

They assumed a shitload of that information or might have simply lied about it. ( the author)

You might not feel that way if you were black.

It's time for all of us to really try imagining yourself in their shoes, IMO.

Statistics to back the authors opinion would be beneficial. Otherwise It's just an opinion. 

16 hours ago, homersapien said:

You might not feel that way if you were black.

It's time for all of us to really try imagining yourself in their shoes, IMO.

What color a person is has nothing to do with how factual a story is being told. This one is not accurate and complete. You know this. 

5 hours ago, alexava said:

What color a person is has nothing to do with how factual a story is being told. This one is not accurate and complete. You know this.

Please point out a falsehood.

And I am not sure what you mean by not complete?   I doubt it any story or interview is "complete".

Here is a white guy that was walking from car to car on the trains in Chicago. He is shot by a black female officer for not getting on his knees. You can see she peppered the hell out of him and his hands are rubbing his eyes before she shoots him in the abdomen practically point blank.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 9:41 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Statistics to back the authors opinion would be beneficial. Otherwise It's just an opinion. 

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

have you noticed that some on here post ALOT of articles that are just devoid of facts and maybe even common sense?

14 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

have you noticed that some on here post ALOT of articles that are just devoid of facts and maybe even common sense?

Yes of course and one in particular links other opinion pieces as facts and the gullible minions rejoice. Sad. 

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Yes of course and one in particular links other opinion pieces as facts and the gullible minions rejoice. Sad. 

Facts are not allowed In certain situations. 

59 minutes ago, alexava said:

Facts are not allowed In certain situations. 

I'm hopeful it is election year politics as usual, but fearful it may be a long-tailed trend of ignorance and impulse. 

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Still waiting on that example of a falsehood. :glare:

You blubbering idiot. You cite links to opinion pieces regularly and present them as fact. You're a fool. Enjoy your cult.

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

In case you are referring to me, I have never presented an opinion piece as other than opinion.  You are, once again, lying.

You continue to make accusations without providing any evidence for them. :no: 

11 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

You blubbering idiot. You cite links to opinion pieces regularly and present them as fact. You're a fool. Enjoy your cult.

Childish insults aside, show me where I've done that. 

And I notice you didn't respond with a specific "falsehood" from the OP.

(And stop projecting. ;D)

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

In case you are referring to me, I have never presented an opinion piece as other than opinion.  You are, once again, lying.

You continue to make accusations without providing any evidence for them. :no: 

I'll waste little effort on your lies. Anyone truly curious can search archives for the obvious.

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

I'll waste little effort on your lies. Anyone truly curious can search archives for the obvious.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

From my own perspective, if I read an article that doesn't provide data I dispel the assumption. Opinion pieces? I think they're for readers of little cognitive capacity. I have and can develop my own opinions and don't need a journalist to tell me how I should think.  I can watch a video of Trump press conference and know instantly he's in over his head in the position.

4 hours ago, creed said:

From my own perspective, if I read an article that doesn't provide data I dispel the assumption. Opinion pieces? I think they're for readers of little cognitive capacity. I have and can develop my own opinions and don't need a journalist to tell me how I should think.  I can watch a video of Trump press conference and know instantly he's in over his head in the position.

Thanks for the sanity. But we have some here that regularly post 3-5 Opinion Pieces a day. And while some are valid, a large swath of thm repeat crap that is just 3 seconds debunkable. Why waste people's time with swill opinions that you LATER ON say you dont support? What the hell is the point? If you are making fun of them, then say so. Dont post up some whackadoodle clap trap hoping someone besides yourself will applaud and then when you get your head kicked in THEN and ONLY THEN, say you were just sharing and did not support the article. Maybe we need a mandatory comment with each article shared?

BTW, these same posters mainly post pieces that are of course as dismissive of any thing not 100% Condoned & Blessed by the DNC. 

Archived