Workers walk out after restaurant refuses to end police discount

Auburn85

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/workers-walk-out-after-restaurant-refuses-to-end-police-discount

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) – Some Northstar Cafe employees participated in a “walkout” Saturday morning, boycotting the restaurant. The employees said they wanted to have a worker’s demonstration in protest of recent decisions made by the restaurant’s management.

According to a former employee, the staff collectively decided to suspend Northstar’s 50% off police discount in solidarity with protesters.

"I know it's important and imperative on me to do everything I can to use my whiteness for this movement and to show up and just be a body in support of the black voices that are constantly fighting for better change in this country. And to do just do all that I can and go where I am called and shout as loud as I can,” said Isaac Bean, a former employee. 

However, Northstar’s owner decided to not suspend the discount.

Northstar sent ABC 6/FOX 28 this statement:

“Like many other organizations Northstar is struggling to find the best way to go forward supporting everyone and staying true to our values. Our early response to the current unrest around the country was made quickly and emotionally. It involved suspending a long-standing discount for police and firefighters. We regret the decision and have continued the discount program.

Northstar supports social justice for all, inclusion for all and fair and equitable treatment for all. We support our first responders and also support the movement for meaningful social change that’s happening around the country to raise awareness for unfair and unequal treatment. In addition to a donation to Know Your Rights Camp, a foundation whose mission is to advance the liberation and well-being of black and brown communities through education, self-empowerment, mass-mobilization and the creation of new systems that elevate the next generation of change leaders, we are listening to all members of our community to help us determine where we most effectively invest time, money and resources to increase mutual respect, equal treatment, inclusion and stop the killing and violence that arise from lack of these values.”

We understand that there are multiple views and multiple groups involved in trying to find a solution to the problems that has plagued our country and deepened division. We believe the best we can do is help with healing and making changes that make a real difference to bring us together.”

Good for Northstar's owner.

The Rapture can't happen soon enough. We're losing it here.

I don't have a problem with the employees staging a demonstration. It's thinking they can make an ownership decision that gets me. 

tenor.gif

If Bean was still working there:  

Bean: "Yes, can I take your order?"

Black officer : " do you still offer the 50% discount?"

Bean: "The staff collectively decided to suspend Northstar’s 50% off police discount in solidarity with protesters. I know it's important and imperative on me to do everything I can to use my whiteness for this movement and to show up and just be a body in support of the black voices that are constantly fighting for better change in this country. And to do just do all that I can and go where I am called and shout as loud as I can,”

13 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Good for Northstar's owner.

The Rapture can't happen soon enough. We're losing it here.

I don't have a problem with the employees staging a demonstration. It's thinking they can make an ownership decision that gets me. 

tenor.gif

The owner made his decision  Then the workers reacted by making their decision. The USA is burning and unfortunately it’s going to be this way for a while I’m afraid. Our nation is in serious trouble and I don’t know what the answer is.  

16 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The owner made his decision  Then the workers reacted by making their decision. The USA is burning and unfortunately it’s going to be this way for a while I’m afraid. Our nation is in serious trouble and I don’t know what the answer is.  

I can think of a few things that might help: GOD, prayer, family, love, respect, truth, education.

i have bought cops meals before. twice at pizza hut. i tried to buy four deputies their meal at a chinese place. they declined and i asked why saying i am not asking for any special treatment. they told me it was against the law or police policy. so there is that as well and i have no idea how other cities and counties across the country deal with this. but i believe it is against the law so no one is seen as getting special treatment for any officers.............

This is a tough one. One reason owners give discounts and often free coffee to Police is to get the Police to stop by more often. Some do it to thank Police some because they hope people seeing Police there will deter crime in their establishment. The majority of Police do a good job even in the black communities the biggest issue is the self policing by the departments when an officer does something wrong. The Blue wall of standing by your fellow Officer no matter what hurts the Police department and the local community. 

Ideally when an officer messes up the officer gets quick review and punishment as a deterrent from bad behavior and a teaching moment for the Officer and the department as a whole. If it is determined the Officer was in the wrong the punishment should fit the offense minor offense reprimand maybe some financial penalty up to immediate removal from the force and if criminal behavior legal action taken.

While not true in all cases what I seen with some officer's, messes up and is cleared despite evidence to the contrary. If this happens multiple times that Officer to feels nothing will happen and the transgressions get worse.  The other issue is because it is often the officers word against the abusers without physical evidence to back it up, the officer is given the benefit of doubt especially if the accuser has a criminal record. This is one of the reasons Body cams and Patrol car cam are so vital. The cams can both back up the accuser or the officer allowing a more honest review of who was telling the truth.

I may be naïve but I honestly think (with the exception of a few bad apples) catching and reprimanding bad behavior early will positively influence future behavior of the Officer. 

Archived