James Bostic Highlight Video

StatTiger

James Bostic is perhaps one of Auburn’s most underrated running backs that rushed for 1000-yards during a season. Despite being a 2-time All-SEC performer and a significant component of the 1993 undefeated season, Bostic is not spoken of as frequently as other Auburn greats. One of the reasons is likely because of his limited exposure as Auburn’s feature running back. He was a two-year starter, but he had a late start to the 1992 season, compiling most of his numbers during the last seven games of the season.

James Bostic averaged 108.2 yards rushing per game during his final 18 games of his career, with 5.45 yards per attempt. Bostic surpassed the century mark in rushing on ten occasions during his final 18 games. He carried the ball at least 19 times during 11 of his last 18 outings. He compiled 134.8 yards rushing per game on 5.5 yards per attempt during those 11 games.

James Bostic was one of the most physical running backs to grace the plains, possessing a unique running style. Rarely do you hear Auburn fans comparing current running backs to Bostic’s style. He was the type of player Pat Dye valued, committed to giving everything he had for the benefit of the team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

One of our Dillard HS guys man what a pipeline back then. Believe he's a police officer now in Coral Springs, Fl

I know he was somewhere in Tampa as a police officer back in 2010.

• Like 1

He was a lot of fun to watch. Incredible combination of power and balance.

What I also saw in those clips were some tenacious road graders

• Like 3

One of my all-time faves!

As for why he's not thought of as much, unfortunately his two BA seasons were Pat Dye's last (terrible) year and when he really shined he was on the best team never seen in '93 during the TV blackout.

I think the results of the '93 team, and the $$$$ that could have been made off of them, is why you probably won't see any more TV blackouts if the NCAA ever has the guts to honestly investigate *cough* bammer *cough* and put a team on probation.  Sure, it may be punitive to cost that school recruiting exposure, but it's just as punitive to the conference & NCAA to cost them the TV $$$$.  The scales will evermore balance on the side of $$$$.  If anything, they'll simply keep the TV $$$$ for themselves as the punishment and take more scholarships away....but at least the team will be on TV.

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 3

i loved him before but even more when he grabbed stan whites face mask over poor play? i think i have that right. and they called him little bo peep as well? i think someone said when he was running towards you with the football all you could see were his eyes. i always thought he ran harder than just about any of our running backs. i am probably wrong but i bet he was at least towards the top........

53 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

he really shined he was on the best team never seen in '93 during the TV blackout.

Man. I've seriously never considered that, in 27 years. I've always thought about it at the team level but never the individual level, and never about how much that actually influences the overall perception of that team even among Auburn fans. I was a freshman that year so I was at every home game and one road game. But a lot of fans might have not have laid eyes on that team once all season. Great point. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Man. I've seriously never considered that, in 27 years. I've always thought about it at the team level but never the individual level, and never about how much that actually influences the overall perception of that team even among Auburn fans. I was a freshman that year so I was at every home game and one road game. But a lot of fans might have not have laid eyes on that team once all season. Great point. 

Yessir.  The only real exposure he/they got was the Pat Dye shows on Sunday.  And believe it or not, the NCAA even limited the number of plays they could show as punishment as well.

Of course I got the '93 commemorative..... VHS, HA!  So there's THAT too...

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 2

Back when we recruited those big punishing backs. Steven Davis, Bostic, and Tony Richardson on one roster. Man Tot inherited some hosses. 

Edited by twilli13
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Back when we recruited those big punishing backs. Steven Davis, Bostic, and Tony Richardson on one roster. Man Tot inherited some hosses. 

And had to continued that type of recruiting he may have lasted longer.

He started out with backs like that and ended up with backs like Rusty Williams & Demontray Carter, who together probably didn't weigh as much as Stephen Davis.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Very true but those of us who grew up on radio football had learned how to picture the game in our minds. :)

tenor.gif

Edited by gr82be
Stupid spell check
  • Love 2

72 nailed this one in respect to Bostic and his legacy. I think it is simply an odd timing situation with him. It was weird with the end of Coach Dyes tenure and the tv blackout season. Pre-internet, pre-social media, all that stuff. Bostic isn’t mentioned as much as others but it isn’t and should not be a reflection on his ability or greatness. 

On June 9, 2020 at 9:38 AM, aubiefifty said:

i loved him before but even more when he grabbed stan whites face mask over poor play? i think i have that right. and they called him little bo peep as well? i think someone said when he was running towards you with the football all you could see were his eyes. i always thought he ran harder than just about any of our running backs. i am probably wrong but i bet he was at least towards the top........

I believe James Joseph was the RB called "Bo Peep".  They called Bostic "Bosco". At least the other players did. My favorite James Bostic run was the one in the second half of the Iron Bowl that sealed the deal.  He shifted into another gear and simply outran the Bama secondary. He got drafted by the Rams who had Jerome Bettis at RB. That was most unfortunate for Bostic. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, gulftiger66 said:

I believe James Joseph was the RB called "Bo Peep".  They called Bostic "Bosco". At least the other players did. My favorite James Bostic run was the one in the second half of the Iron Bowl that sealed the deal.  He shifted into another gear and simply outran the Bama secondary. He got drafted by the Rams who had Jerome Bettis at RB. That was most unfortunate for Bostic. 

i appreciate your correction. my memory gives me problems. i should have googled it but i had like three window open at one time. thanks again.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gulftiger66 said:

My favorite James Bostic run was the one in the second half of the Iron Bowl that sealed the deal.  

The hardest hit he took the entire SEASON was the hit Tony Richardson planted on him in the EZ in celebration after that run LOL!