What does this sentence mean to you?

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

Some lawyer tried to say it takes a village to raise a child. 

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It means that you copy/pasted a random sentence from the BLM website with the purpose of doing what, I dunno. 

No, that is not what this sentence means. 

It's actually not as objectionable as many would read it. The idea is to disrupt the notion of the nuclear family as the default.

You could probably argue it's an inherently conservative position, as the notion of the nuclear family (husband, wife, kids, golden retriever) as the norm is actually a fairly recent thing.

As an example,  the Rivera family from the movie Coco is an alternative model. Very large, multi-generational family with a Matriarch, Abuelita Elena in this case, playing the role of head of household. 

11 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

To me, it means that "We," apparently people outside of the traditional family unit, are committing to look out for the people outside of their family unit who want help. Because the sentence specifically state that the parents are dictating the outside help, it seems like a good thing, they way they were when I was growing up in a small town.

Interesting takes so far.  I have read it many times and still can't say for sure I understand exactly what it means.  

8 hours ago, gr82be said:

Some lawyer tried to say it takes a village to raise a child. 

This, and maybe a little bit of "this is the family I choose" IMO. Hard to know without context, but I don't see anything unusual, provocative or otherwise noteworthy about the comment. Especially since they are making it clear that they don't "disrupt" the "structure", but the "requirement". 

Similar to Kaepernick. He didn't tell anyone to stop kneeling. He just said he doesn't want to kneel. That new AU professor didn't tell anyone else not to say War Eagle. He just said he won't say it. In none of these cases was an institution attacked, nor were those who would uphold it. There was merely a circumvention of social constructs.

Snowflakes trying to suffocate us with their PC cancel culture again?

• 3 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 1:54 PM, McLoofus said:

This, and maybe a little bit of "this is the family I choose" IMO. Hard to know without context, but I don't see anything unusual, provocative or otherwise noteworthy about the comment. Especially since they are making it clear that they don't "disrupt" the "structure", but the "requirement". 

Similar to Kaepernick. He didn't tell anyone to stop kneeling. He just said he doesn't want to kneel. That new AU professor didn't tell anyone else not to say War Eagle. He just said he won't say it. In none of these cases was an institution attacked, nor were those who would uphold it. There was merely a circumvention of social constructs.

Snowflakes trying to suffocate us with their PC cancel culture again?

I predict a visit from Mark Levin and the Boogaloo Boys soon. 

I had to work way over last nite and got to listen to Levin rant on Breonna Taylor. No, let me correct that: LEVIN LIED HIS ASS OFF ABOUT BREONNA TAYLOR. While defending the policemen that shot and killed her unarmed self, he refused to say that the cops executed the No-Knock Warrant. HE REFUSED TO TELL THE TRUTH. My head was about to explode. I was screaming at the radio that was playing. I probably made an ass out of myself but the point was made. Mark Levin, the great one, as so many call him, was just lying his ass off to his listeners who, I bet trust him to tell the truth. He wasnt and doesnt. He lies proactively, aggressively,  and with purpose. 

17 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I predict a visit from Mark Levin and the Boogaloo Boys soon. 

I had to work way over last nite and got to listen to Levin rant on Breonna Taylor. No, let me correct that: LEVIN LIED HIS ASS OFF ABOUT BREONNA TAYLOR. While defending the policemen that shot and killed her unarmed self, he refused to say that the cops executed the No-Knock Warrant. HE REFUSED TO TELL THE TRUTH. My head was about to explode. I was screaming at the radio that was playing. I probably made an ass out of myself but the point was made. Mark Levin, the great one, as so many call him, was just lying his ass off to his listeners who, I bet trust him to tell the truth. He wasnt and doesnt. He lies proactively, aggressively,  and with purpose. 

I certainly don't know what happened that night with Breonna Taylor, but there have certainly been reports that witnesses testified that the officers did knock and introduce themselves. I am sure that Levin lies and witnesses lie and police officers lie and reporters lie. It is hard to know who is telling the truth these days.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:46 PM, SocialCircle said:

There's a movement out there that sees the Western ideal/norm of the family as "parents and children" only as something that is rather recent in human history and that isn't attainable or sustainable for many people.  They would point to many other cultures, including our own in times past, where grandparents, uncles and aunts, cousins and so on are included in the family unit and take a vital part in the raising of children.  They say that financially it's better because multi-generational family units are better able to take care of the house, look after kids, juggle responsibilities, provide financially, and so on.  They believe that American/Western society has become increasingly atomized and individualistic and this older family structure is an antidote to that.

I can see some merit to what they say.  It used to be that a family could lead a solidly middle class life with just one breadwinner, live in a decent neighborhood, send their kids to college and so on.  But those days are long gone.

36 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There's a movement out there that sees the Western ideal/norm of the family as "parents and children" only as something that is rather recent in human history and that isn't attainable or sustainable for many people.  They would point to many other cultures, including our own in times past, where grandparents, uncles and aunts, cousins and so on are included in the family unit and take a vital part in the raising of children.  They say that financially it's better because multi-generational family units are better able to take care of the house, look after kids, juggle responsibilities, provide financially, and so on.  They believe that American/Western society has become increasingly atomized and individualistic and this older family structure is an antidote to that.

I can see some merit to what they say.  It used to be that a family could lead a solidly middle class life with just one breadwinner, live in a decent neighborhood, send their kids to college and so on.  But those days are long gone.

I don't know how much effort BLM put into their sentence, but think about how much different the sentence would mean if they had used "expand" instead of "disrupt."

We expand the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

1 minute ago, Grumps said:

I don't know how much effort BLM put into their sentence, but think about how much different the sentence would mean if they had used "expand" instead of "disrupt."

We expand the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

Pay more attention to the word "requirement". 

3 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I think McLoofus's point about "requirement" being key is good.

That said, there are many ways of expressing their aims that I think could be worded better.  That's not to say that wording is the only issue - some of their aims I don't agree with no matter what.  But some of them aren't bad but they cause unnecessary confusion.  

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

I certainly don't know what happened that night with Breonna Taylor, but there have certainly been reports that witnesses testified that the officers did knock and introduce themselves. I am sure that Levin lies and witnesses lie and police officers lie and reporters lie. It is hard to know who is telling the truth these days.

aggressively,  and with purpose. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/30/fact-check-police-had-no-knock-warrant-breonna-taylor-apartment/3235029001/

The claim: Police did not have a warrant to enter Breonna Taylor's apartment 

In the aftermath of the death of Breonna Taylor during a police raid on her Louisville apartment, many have questioned whether the police were at the right apartment in the first place.

“Unwarranted raid, at the wrong house for a suspect that was already in custody,” a June 3 Facebook post reads.

June 5 post from the Democratic Party also included the claim: "Three police officers shot and killed Breonna Taylor after barging into her house without a warrant ..."

USA TODAY reached out for comment to the Democratic Party. A spokesperson cited the House Democrats' efforts to ban "no knock" warrants in an email.

"Several outlets, including USA TODAY, have reported on the serious questions around the warrant and the application filed by the police officers, and there are questions around whether this no-knock warrant was even constitutional. The city of Louisville has subsequently banned these types of warrants because incidents like Breonna's should never happen again," Chris Meagher with the DNC told USA TODAY on June 30

“They had the wrong address AND their real suspect was already in custody,” Ben Crump, an attorney supporting the family, tweeted on May 11. “2 months later, no one has been held accountable for her death... but we will change that!”

The police who were investigating Taylor’s apartment did have a "no-knock" warrant to enter that address. The warrant for Taylor's address was approved due to Taylor’s prior association with a suspect in a drug case.

She had no criminal record, and no drugs were found in her apartment. Since her death, “no-knock” warrants have been banned in Louisville.

Fact check:BreonnaTaylor.com was police donation page, now fundraiser for social justice

LMPD’s no-knock warrant

No-knock warrants” are search warrants that authorize law enforcement to enter a private premise without announcing their presence. Such warrants are issued when a judge agrees that announcing law enforcement’s presence may allow suspects to destroy potential evidence or endanger police safety.

LMPD suspected that Taylor was receiving packages on behalf of her ex-boyfriend, Jamarcus Glover, who police suspected of drug trafficking, according to court documents.

Fact check:Officer in Breonna Taylor killing not shot by friendly fire

In his affidavit, Louisville detective Joshua Jaynes wrote that a no-knock warrant was necessary “due to the nature of how these drug traffickers operate," according to ABC News

"These drug traffickers have a history of attempting to destroy evidence, have cameras on the location that compromise Detectives once an approach to the dwelling is made, and a have history of fleeing from law enforcement,” Jaynes continued.

Tony Gooden, a Louisville-based U.S. postal inspector, concluded in January that Taylor’s home was not receiving any “packages of interest,” including potentially illicit drugs, the inspector told WDRB News.

Attorneys representing Breonna Taylor's family say that LMPD officers provided "false information" in the affidavits requesting the no-knock warrant.

In March, Jaynes wrote five affidavits seeking a judge's permission for no-knock searches, which were all approved within 12 minutes by Jefferson Circuit Judge Mary Shaw.

Fatal shooting at Taylor's apartment

Officers claim that when they arrived at Taylor’s apartment the night of March 13, they knocked multiple times and identified themselves as police; Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, says no identifying calls were made.

When the couple was awoken by the knocks on the door, Walker, suspecting a home invasion, issued a “warning shot” at the lower part of the door. The shot hit the leg of Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, injuring him.

Police then broke down the apartment door with a battering ram and fired a series of rounds into the apartment. Taylor was shot at least eight times and fatally wounded.

More: Officers can't be suspended without pay in Breonna Taylor case yet, Louisville attorney says

The investigation found no drugs at Taylor’s apartment. Neither Taylor nor Walker had criminal records. In a separate incident, Glover was arrested that night for trafficking and firearm offenses. The case remains pending.

The incident report in the Taylor case contains virtually no information on the incident.

Legal scholars have criticized the issuance of a no-knock warrant in the Taylor case, seeing the move as unjustified and invasive.

“Unless the police had reason to believe this particular house had cameras, and explained that reason to the judge, a no-knock warrant would be improper,” Christopher Slobogin, the director of Vanderbilt University’s Criminal Justice Program, told the Courier Journal.

“Otherwise, police would never need to knock and announce for any search related to drug dealing, with consequences like the one we have in this case,” he continued.

“If it was appropriate here, then every routine drug transaction would justify grounds for no-knock,” Brian Gallini, a legal scholar at the University of Arkansas who has written extensively on the Fourth Amendment also added.

Jaynes, the detective who received the no-knock warrants, has since been reassigned. The three officers involved in the shooting have also been placed on administrative leave; one, Brett Hankison, has been fired.

On June 11, the Louisville Metro Council unanimously passed "Breonna's Law," which bans the issuance of no-knock warrants.

Our ruling: False

We rate the claim that officers did not have a warrant to enter Taylor's apartment as FALSE because it is not supported by our research. Louisville police had a “no-knock” warrant to enter Taylor’s apartment. No-knock warrants have now been banned in Louisville.

Our fact-check sources:

47 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But some of them aren't bad but they cause unnecessary confusion.  

Like I've been saying, the left is bad at messaging.

A sociologist wrote this using flowery academic language and it's hard for a layman to parse as a result.

9 minutes ago, AUDub said:

A sociologist wrote this using flowery academic language and it's hard for a layman to parse as a result.

The worst is "abolish/defund the police."

Just now, TitanTiger said:

The worst is "abolish/defund the police."

Yep and I've said as much with regard to defund. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Yep and I've said as much with regard to defund. 

It's extra dumb because when you ask someone who knows what the aims are and they explain what they mean by "abolish the police" or "defund the police," my very next thought is, "Well, why don't you say THAT?"  Because when you say words like "abolish" and "defund" it doesn't sound like "change the way police departments are structured, equipped, and funded to emphasize deescalation tactics and hold rogue cops more accountable."  It sounds like you're advocating for anarchy.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

It's extra dumb because when you ask someone who knows what the aims are and they explain what they mean by "abolish the police" or "defund the police," my very next thought is, "Well, why don't you say THAT?"  Because when you say words like "abolish" and "defund" it doesn't sound like "change the way police departments are structured, equipped, and funded to emphasize deescalation tactics and hold rogue cops more accountable."  It sounds like you're advocating for anarchy.

It takes too much effort to write on a sign or fit on a bumper sticker. "Reform the police" would be far better. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

It takes too much effort to write on a sign or fit on a bumper sticker. "Reform the police" would be far better. 

But then they say things like "reform is not enough."  But what they describe as their aim with regard to police is a textbook definition of reform. Being more concerned about pithy slogans than the ideas behind them is shooting oneself in the foot.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

But then they say things like "reform is not enough."  But what they describe as their aim with regard to police is a textbook definition of reform. Being more concerned about pithy slogans than the ideas behind them is shooting oneself in the foot.

Again, the left is bad at messaging. 

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

I heard it was one witness who said they heard the officers announce themselves and twelve who said they didn't, but I might be wrong.

But even so, how long did they wait?  If they announced themselves and kicked the door in a few seconds later, does it really matter?  Remember, the victims were asleep.

And from what I've heardabout the victims, they would have answered the door given time to wake up and realize there were police asking to come in.  As it was, they were asleep, and several guys - not in uniform - kicked their door in. 

Hell, I have a loaded pistol within reach in my bed.  The same could have happened to me or anyone else.

38 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Even the GOP version of the KISS principle- Keep It Stupid Simple- is better than not adhering to the principle at all. 

Archived