Bowling Green GT QB Grant Loy Commits to AU!

Sizzle

• ellitor pinned and featured this topic
2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Still trying to find out.

247 says signed. Honest question, does a walk-on sign anything? 

Bowling Green graduate transfer quarterback Grant Loy has signed with Auburn, he tells 247Sports.

14 minutes ago, gr82be said:

247 says signed. Honest question, does a walk-on sign anything? 

There are many things they can sign as an acceptance that does not count as a scholly.

• Like 1

Keith is reporting Loy will be in scholly which means Jashawn Sheffield has been or permanently will be let go for breaking rules/disciplinary reasons as a couple AU insiders said would happen & that would open up a spot to add a 28th scholly player this year (Loy) since Shef was still a freshman.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Keith is reporting Loy will be in scholly which means Jashawn Sheffield has been or permanently will be let go for breaking rules/disciplinary reasons as a couple AU insiders said would happen & that would open up a spot to add a 28th scholly player this year (Loy) since Shef was still a freshman.

Why wouldn't he just count towards the 85

May be a better runner than passer. Could be short yardage, goal line, mix things up a little. His TD to interception ratio isn't going to excite many.

• Like 1

any idea of his 40 time? Good size at 6-5 no doubt. BTW....I tested positive yesterday for Covid19.  I have had a nasty cough for about 2 months and just could not shake it. My wife insisted on me getting tested and I am glad I did. 14 days of isolation of which is no fun!

Edited by doc4aday
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why wouldn't he just count towards the 85

Because all new schollied players, including GTs, have to count to a yearly 25 new enrollee limit unless they have been at the new school for 2 years before going on scholly. This goes all the way back to Prosh from the 2012 or 2013 class.

• Thanks 1

Looks like the coaches wanted to bolster the backup QB spot. He has good size and earned a scholarship at BG after being a walk on so his work ethic must be pretty good. Sounds like a solid addition to team to me. Welcome to AU Grant Loy!

link

Tigers land grad transfer QB

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 

Auburn has added some much-needed depth to its quarterback room.

Grant Loy, formerly of Bowling Green, announced via Twitter on Wednesday he has committed to the Tigers as a graduate transfer. He has one year of eligibility remaining (he was redshirted in 2016).

Auburn Undercover can confirm the Tigers have accepted his commitment.

Beyond excited to announce that I have received an offer and committed to Auburn University for my final year of college ball. Let’s get to work. #WarEagle 🦅@coachgusmalzahn @coachchadmorris @coachwillbryant @auburnfootball

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Last year, Loy played in 12 games and made seven starts. He led Bowling Green with 115 pass completions on 204 attempts, 1,137 passing yards and six passing touchdowns with 11 interceptions -- and finished third on the team with 100 carries for 427 yards and tied for a team-high with four rushing touchdowns.

With Loy, Auburn will have four scholarship quarterbacks for 2020 -- Loy, returning starter Bo Nix, Cord Sandberg and true freshman Chayil Garnett. Peferred walk-on transfer Caylin Newton, who played quarterback at Howard for two seasons, will work at quarterback and other positions (Auburn brought him in as an athlete). Additionally, the Tigers have another walk-on -- true freshman Sawyer Pate.

Loy, listed at 6-feet-5, 223 pounds, is a native of Ohio.

Loy's 2019 highlights included being named MAC East Offensive Player of the Week after completing 14 of 21 passes for 185 yards and one touchdown while rushing for 137 yards and one touchdown on 19 carries in a win over Toledo. Against Ohio, he passed for a career-high 250 yards with one touchdown.

In his three seasons at Bowling Green, Loy completed 131 of 232 passes for 1,478 yards, 8 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

He added 642 rushing yards on 151 carries.

Loy entered the transfer portal last December. Here are some of his college highlights ...

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

any idea of his 40 time? Good size at 6-5 no doubt. BTW....I tested positive yesterday for Covid19.  I have had a nasty cough for about 2 months and just could not shake it. My wife insisted on me getting tested and I am glad I did. 14 days of isolation of which is no fun!

Says in his video that he runs 4.7

Howdy Grant. Welcome to the Auburn Family. WAR EAGLE!!! I do wish Grant had at least 2 years left instead of just 1.

Edited by auburn4ever

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Prayers for you Doc. Take care of yourself. 

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

You got this, doc!

Maybe we are sliding him over to TE with all the TEs we’ve been going after haha. I hate to hear that about Sheffield. That kid has so much potential. I don’t really understand this move to get a backup QB. If we had a spot open, I figured we’d use it for a punter or roll it over to next class. However, the coaches know better than I do, and I’m happy to get anyone who wants to be at AU. Hope he balls out! 

rerew.gif

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

6' 5".  Pretty sure we've got ourselves a dark horse for an offensive tackle spot. 🙂

Can he long snap? 😄

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

rerew.gif

I thought same until I was reminded of this.

16 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

With Loy, Auburn will have four scholarship quarterbacks for 2020 -- Loy, returning starter Bo Nix, Cord Sandberg and true freshman Chayil Garnett.

That's Bo, this guy, and 18 career snaps between 2 other guys. This guy is like a much more experienced Sandberg. Similar profile. Not a terrible insurance policy.

But yeah, if we were going to use a scholarship on a transfer, it seems like we would've known/done so already, haha. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

This I don't understand. Sheffield was in the 2019 signing class. He was on the team in 2019. How can a 2020 recruiting slot be vacated by a guy who was signed and was on the team in 2019? How could this work?

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

if we were going to use a scholarship on a transfer, it seems like we would've known/done so already,

It likely just opened up FWIW.

• Thanks 1