Okay seriously.... a punter.

tigerbrotha12

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/11/2020 at 2:56 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't think Siposs was ever what this fanbase was hoping for, but his ability to place punts, did get alot better this season. Didn't have the range but I liked his touch last szn

I was severely disappointed with Siposs.  I thought for sure he would run 2-4 times per season and with his background, believed he was a threat to run over or through a tackle.  I thought his threat to run was going to be his big asset. 

That said, Bo earned a second scholarship as a punter (announced in  January ). and donated it to Coach Bic.  It didn't get much publicity, but there was a team mtg and all - lots of clapping and cheering.  I'm happy for him;  thought donating it was very selfless and showed great leadership.   Class act...

I found a kicker that has an awesome last name. I think our kicking coach should go check him out. He's Bert Auburn. He's 6-0. 160 from Flower Mound, Texas. If you think I made up that name, go look him up for yourself.

45 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I found a kicker that has an awesome last name. I think our kicking coach should go check him out. He's Bert Auburn. He's 6-0. 160 from Flower Mound, Texas. If you think I made up that name, go look him up for yourself.

Definitely would make the All Hair team...

9702546.jpg?fit=crop&width=100

Ok so Nix will  be the punter... 

Makes sense we are going to rely on the starting QB to be our punter. That works for the short field punting.  What about when we are up by 5 and need to flip the field?

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Makes sense we are going to rely on the starting QB to be our punter. That works for the short field punting.  What about when we are up by 5 and need to flip the field?

Exactly, that my problem with using Nix.

ANd add in that is more opportunities for Nix to get injured if they block his punt, or if he feels in his competitive nature to tackle the punt returner or he gets a blindside block bc the return team knows the starting QB is out there.

Don't like it at all...

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Don't like it at all...

Me either my friend.  Me either.

We actually saw what having a game changer at punter does in 2013 when Steven Clark could flip the field and just pin teams inside their own 10.

I thought Gus knew this when he signed Syposs... I know Syposs leaving was a surprise,  but I'm shocked we didnt make some sort of move at the position...

36 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Not necessarily. Could be him, Carlson, or 1 of 2 walk ons.

8 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I'm shocked we didnt make some sort of move at the position...

We didn't have room to add anyone til after Sheffield was suspended.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We didn't have room to add anyone til after Sheffield was suspended.

Was there just no one out there at punter for us to bring in by the time that happened? Or did the coaches think it was a bigger deal to have a backup QB with some experience?

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Was there just no one out there at punter for us to bring in by the time that happened?

No clue. I don’t know anything about the putting landscape in high school.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Or did the coaches think it was a bigger deal to have a backup QB with some experience

Probably but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an or proposition with the first statement.

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

After the first quarter will be up more than five.

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

We’re going for it no matter what! Like Spurrier did to us years ago when  at USCe. Punting is for wimps. 😝 

42 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

No punting next year. Some weird Covid rule.

And onside kicks and 2 pt conversations only

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And onside kicks and 2 pt conversations only

I wonder what the conversations will be about? If they’re really good they should be worth at least a field goal! 😝 

The most simple explanation for no effort made to recruit a punter is that they are happy with one or more of the walkon punters.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The most simple explanation for no effort made to recruit a punter is that they are happy with one or more of the walkon punters.

That would be my assumption too. 

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Probably the most logical too but this is a football board...

I'm not shocked that Malzahn isn't recruited a punter. He never has gone after a lot of kickers / Punters since he got the Auburn gig.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I'm not shocked that Malzahn isn't recruited a punter. He never has gone after a lot of kickers / Punters since he got the Auburn gig.

lol. He hasn't had to go after kickers. He's had the Carlson's for all 7 of his years. :)

On 6/24/2020 at 2:22 PM, steeleagle said:

lol. He hasn't had to go after kickers. He's had the Carlson's for all 7 of his years. :)

But who recruited the Carlsons away from their Bammer family? It’s not like they were lined up for Auburn before Gus got here. They both grew up Bama fans and had family members play sports at Bama.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

But who recruited the Carlsons away from their Bammer family? It’s not like they were lined up for Auburn before Gus got here. They both grew up Bama fans and had family members play sports at Bama.

Neither one had Bama offers when we landed them for what it’s worth.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Neither one had Bama offers when we landed them for what it’s worth.

Still. They came to the rival school.

Archived