This is pretty funny: Right-wing fans mocked for boycotting Rage Against the Machine after realizing band’s political stance

AUDub

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/rage-against-the-machine-right-wing-conservatives-politics-boycott-tom-morello-a9558241.html

These guys were burning American flags on stage at Woodstock 20 years ago, and you'd have to be a raging dumbass to miss the obvious anarcho-syndicalist bent of their lyrics. 

'Music is my sanctuary and the last thing I want to hear is political b******t when i’m listening to music,' complained one Twitter user

Rage Against the Machine’s music has always had a left-wing bent, with much of their lyrics targeting corporate America, cultural imperialism and government oppression.

But a number of right-wing conservative fans have only just realised the radical undercurrent of their music.

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

Paul Ryan stepped in it years ago too. 

Yeah I remember that. Imagine the irony of claiming to like a band that quite clearly hates you and everything you stand for.

I've been paying serious attention to music since the early to mid 80s.  I've probably understood since the mid to late 80s that the vast, vast majority of mainstream rock, pop, hip hop, etc. artists held very different political views than I did as a conservative.  How does one get to 2020 not understanding this basic truth and get all butthurt over it?

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I've been paying serious attention to music since the early to mid 80s.  I've probably understood since the mid to late 80s that the vast, vast majority of mainstream rock, pop, hip hop, etc. artists held very different political views than I did as a conservative.  How does one get to 2020 not understanding this basic truth and get all butthurt over it?

Yeah but the thing that makes this one so silly is that RATM is by no means subtle about it. One of those bands that is so on the nose about their message that only a complete moron would miss it. 

ratm-jpg.8755

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well that was interesting RATM been around a good while guess some people don't listen to lyrics

Or the album covers

Or the names of the songs

Or the band's name

Or anything they've written or comments they've made

Or ever seen them live

49 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well that was interesting RATM been around a good while guess some people don't listen to lyrics

Which is weird. Like, who's just got RATM on in the background while they bake or write code? Who's dissecting the melodies and harmonies? Morello is a wizard on the guitar but even his most ardent fans aren't listening to RATM just for his solos. 

If it was Rush or Yes or something, sure. There's just no reasonable explanation here. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Which is weird. Like, who's just got RATM on in the background while they bake or write code? Who's dissecting the melodies and harmonies? Morello is a wizard on the guitar but even his most ardent fans aren't listening to RATM just for his solos. 

If it was Rush or Yes or something, sure. There's just no reasonable explanation here. 

Admittedly,  Morello is what drew me to RATM in the first place 23 years ago. Bulls on Parade was awesome. I bought Evil Empire because I was 12 and it sounded cool. The understanding of the lyrics came later.

Interestingly, regarding Rush, Neil Peart's (RIP) lyrics early on were very Libertarian, if a bit more subtle than RATM, in nature. He grew out of it lol. 

10 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Interestingly, regarding Rush, Neil Peart's (RIP) lyrics early on were very Libertarian, if a bit more subtle than RATM, in nature. He grew out of it lol. 

(...and before I get jumped by the folks that don't understand the difference between lyricist and vocalist, I'm aware that Geddy was the singer. Neil wrote pretty much all of the lyrics though.)

11 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Admittedly,  Morello is what drew me to RATM in the first place 23 years ago. Bulls on Parade was awesome. I bought Evil Empire because I was 12 and it sounded cool. The understanding of the lyrics came later.

Ah, you're a youngun. The self-titled debut dropped my junior year in high school. The most ambiguous and potentially politics-adjacent track listing on that one is "Bombtrack". Even if folks didn't know what the politics were, exactly, they knew it was political. 

I mean, one of the most plainly spoken lyrics on an album containing nothing but lyrics shout-spoken in an uncomplicated cadence is, "Who stood and watched as the feds cold centralized."

But I suppose I get Morello drawing in niche enthusiasts. Which I'm absolutely calling you if you know that Neil Peart's early lyrics were Libertarian, hahaha.

9 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Neils was an interesting guy his political views changed over 40 years. Early in his years he was a fan of Ayn Rand later in years his philosophy was called tryism

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

These folks obviously don’t process information very well.

27 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Neils was an interesting guy his political views changed over 40 years. Early in his years he was a fan of Ayn Rand later in years his philosophy was called tryism

Who doesn't change a lot between their 20s and their 60s? Hell, the comparison between me politically at 20 and now at 34 provides a hilarious contrast.

26 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

What is "tryism?"  I can't seem to find anything on it.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It was basically a stance that anything can be obtained with commensurate effort.

Neil was, well, a bit strange. He also termed himself a "bleeding heart Libertarian."

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

It was basically a stance that anything can be obtained with commensurate effort.

B.S.  You know how much effort I've exerted to get my wife......never mind.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Pretty simple " anything one tries to attain will be attained if one tries hard enough" sounds boring I know.

11 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Who doesn't change a lot between their 20s and their 60s? Hell, the comparison between me politically at 20 and now at 34 provides a hilarious contrast.

Very true................. as for me yes changed some what socially not so much fiscally

55 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I too bought Evil Empire around that age with no real understanding of the message behind the band and their music. 

Morello has a Harvard degree in social studies btw. 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

It reminds me of when Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" was being used a lot by (Reagan?).  The lyrics don't really align with the sentiment they were ascribing to it.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

It reminds me of when Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" was being used a lot by (Reagan?).  The lyrics don't really align with the sentiment they were ascribing to it.

Chris Christie wanted to use it as his campaign song. Of course Bruce said no. 

16 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I haven't. ;)  ;D

Just now, homersapien said:

I haven't. ;)  ;D

Yeah well you're a stubborn as hell old fogey. No offense lol. 

Archived