Trump tweets praise for the Secret Service, calling them the SS

TitanTiger

Doubt it was an accident.

Just like him scheduling his next rally in the location of the worst incident of racial violence in the country's history on Juneteenth. 

Pure, unadulterated evil. 

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Doubt it was an accident.

Just like him scheduling his next rally in the location of the worst incident of racial violence in the country's history on Juneteenth. 

Pure, unadulterated evil. 

I knew all along what he meant by "Make America Great Again".

On Aug. 27, 1960, a mob of 200 white people in Jacksonville, Fla. – organized by the Ku Klux Klan and joined by some of the city’s police officers – chased and beat peaceful civil rights protesters who were trying to integrate downtown lunch counters. The bloody carnage that followed – in which ax handles and baseball bats were used to club African Americans, who sought sanctuary in a church – is remembered as “Ax Handle Saturday.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2020/06/11/daily-202-trump-poised-to-accept-gop-nod-in-jacksonville-fla-on-60th-anniversary-of-ax-handle-saturday/5ee1b4c788e0fa32f82380a0/?itid=hp_hp-banner-main_daily-202-130p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

Just now, homersapien said:

I knew all along what he meant by "Make America Great Again".

On Aug. 27, 1960, a mob of 200 white people in Jacksonville, Fla. – organized by the Ku Klux Klan and joined by some of the city’s police officers – chased and beat peaceful civil rights protesters who were trying to integrate downtown lunch counters. The bloody carnage that followed – in which ax handles and baseball bats were used to club African Americans, who sought sanctuary in a church – is remembered as “Ax Handle Saturday.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2020/06/11/daily-202-trump-poised-to-accept-gop-nod-in-jacksonville-fla-on-60th-anniversary-of-ax-handle-saturday/5ee1b4c788e0fa32f82380a0/?itid=hp_hp-banner-main_daily-202-130p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

What the for real **** is he doing? Tulsa AND this??? 

........It’s part of a pattern. Trump told reporters on Wednesday that his first campaign rally since the start of the coronavirus pandemic will take place next Friday in Tulsa. In 1921, that city was the site of one of the worst race massacres in U.S. history. A white mob descended on an affluent black neighborhood. As many as 300 people died.

The June 19 rally also happens to coincide with Juneteenth, a holiday widely celebrated in the black community to mark the day that the last American slaves were freed. Oklahoma is not a battleground in the general election, and the county that includes Tulsa has seen an uptick in new cases since the start of June, but the state’s relaxed restrictions mean the Trump reelection campaign can assemble the big crowd that the president has been craving.......

Man, y'all really are reduced to grasping at straws. "SS", that's the Secret Service initials all right. Also Soupy Sales' and some Nazi organization that did some things. So what? Initials are quite common outside of TDD world.

Has anybody here heard of Juneteenth before this non-issue? My only recollection of June 19th is I acquired an important girlfriend on that date, back in high school. Should I protest? He's clouding the memory. The pain, the pain!

I see the Dems are gathering in Milwaukee. Good idea. They'll need plenty of beer to get through a Biden speech when he's out of his basement and can't have live coaches prompting him from behind the curtains.

Here's a great idea for the Dem VP. Y'all should go for that mayor of Seattle. She's currently setting a record for gutless wimpism. That fits right in with the current Dem policy of abject pandering.

See ya', time to let the dogs out.

42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Man, y'all really are reduced to grasping at straws. "SS", that's the Secret Service initials all right. Also Soupy Sales' and some Nazi organization that did some things. So what? Initials are quite common outside of TDD world.

Has anybody here heard of Juneteenth before this non-issue? My only recollection of June 19th is I acquired an important girlfriend on that date, back in high school. Should I protest? He's clouding the memory. The pain, the pain!

I see the Dems are gathering in Milwaukee. Good idea. They'll need plenty of beer to get through a Biden speech when he's out of his basement and can't have live coaches prompting him from behind the curtains.

Here's a great idea for the Dem VP. Y'all should go for that mayor of Seattle. She's currently setting a record for gutless wimpism. That fits right in with the current Dem policy of abject pandering.

See ya', time to let the dogs out.

Yes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

Heard of this, too:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/topics/roaring-twenties/tulsa-race-massacre

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Nope.  Official abbreviation is the U.S.S.S.  Much like the abbreviation for the Marines is U.S.M.C.

You would think the Commander-In-Chief who overtly professes to loving his country so much might know these things.

Moreover, it's just a really careless thing to do.  The S.S. is most commonly associated with Nazis.  Just be smarter before hitting send on that tweet is all people are really asking for here.  Literally take two seconds to read it out loud and see if sounds weird.  If it does, don't hit send.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

They've never referred to themselves, nor has any president since at least WWII referred to them as the "SS."  Probably because they've cracked a damn history book.  When abbreviated, it's always the USSS.

Yes.  I didn't hear about it growing up but I've know of the existence of Juneteenth for at least 10-15 years.

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

The S.S. is most commonly associated with Nazis. 

Not really. The most common use is in a ship's designation. SS indicates Screw Steamer, Steam Ship, or Sailing Ship, depending on which internet site one might choose to believe.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Not really. The most common use is in a ship's designation. SS indicates Screw Steamer, Steam Ship, or Sailing Ship, depending on which internet site one might choose to believe.

Raise your hand if you primarily refer to “SS” in the way Mikey uses it. 

The idea that Tulsa on June 19th was chosen with malice aforethought is so whacky. No matter the place or date, the haters would have made something out of it. Suppose July 4th in Montgomery: " OMG in the Cradle of the Confederacy on Independence day. He not only insults Black Americans, he's also inciting the Brits to riot!" What a hoot!

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Mine's raised. I do like watercraft.

41 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The idea that Tulsa on June 19th was chosen with malice aforethought is so whacky. 

I actually agree with you here, if only because I don't think he nor his advisors have the forethought to see a potential problem in the first place.  They've shown time and again that blind spots are massive.

Also worth pointing out that Oklahoma is one of the only places he can go and hold a rally right now per COVID restrictions.

Now, why he would want to spend campaign money in a state that is already a lock for him is beyond me.  That's just dumb politics.

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I agree with Mikey. Of course I live on the coast most days.

S. S. Minnow

image.jpeg
The S. S. Minnow is a fictional charter boat on the hit 1960s television sitcom Gilligan's Island. The ship ran aground on the shore of "an uncharted desert isle" (in the south Pacific Ocean), setting the stage for this popular situation comedy.

57 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I agree with Mikey. Of course I live on the coast most days.

S. S. Minnow

image.jpeg
The S. S. Minnow is a fictional charter boat on the hit 1960s television sitcom Gilligan's Island. The ship ran aground on the shore of "an uncharted desert isle" (in the south Pacific Ocean), setting the stage for this popular situation comedy.

We soon might have a SS Chaz if the developing country emerging in Seattle ever gets a Navy.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I actually agree with you here, if only because I don't think he nor his advisors have the forethought to see a potential problem in the first place.  They've shown time and again that blind spots are massive.

Also worth pointing out that Oklahoma is one of the only places he can go and hold a rally right now per COVID restrictions.

Now, why he would want to spend campaign money in a state that is already a lock for him is beyond me.  That's just dumb politics.

Optics.  He likes the optics of thousands of sycophants whooping and hollering at rallies where he can say virtually anything and get the desired audience response.  And because he's the POTUS he knows the press will cover it at least some (and Fox News will lap it up like crazy).  He's all about image.  

Of course in Texas they call that "all hat and no cattle."

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Optics.  He likes the optics of thousands of sycophants whooping and hollering at rallies where he can say virtually anything and get the desired audience response.  And because he's the POTUS he knows the press will cover it at least some (and Fox News will lap it up like crazy).  He's all about image.  

Of course in Texas they call that "all hat and no cattle."

Not just optics. It’s a narcissistic need. 

Trump rally attendees must agree not to sue campaign over potential coronavirus exposure

A disclaimer for the June 19 event makes no mention of required social distancing or safety precautions, such as face coverings.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/11/trump-rally-sue-campaign-coronavirus-exposure-314353

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Chosen with malice, perhaps not.

Chosen with spectacular tone deafness, lack of self-awareness and moral bankruptcy, clearly.

Chosen by accident, particularly in addition to the Jacksonville event falling on another similar anniversary, I can't imagine.

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I actually agree with you here, if only because I don't think he nor his advisors have the forethought to see a potential problem in the first place.

Why should there be a 'potential problem" to consider? 

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Why should there be a 'potential problem" to consider? 

Tulsa is the site of one of, if not the single worst white on black attacks in American history post-Civil War.  Add in that the event is on Juneteenth and you're asking for motives to be questioned.

https://www.history.com/topics/roaring-twenties/tulsa-race-massacre

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Add in that the event is on Juneteenth and you're asking for motives to be questioned.

Yes I am. Why should there be a "problem"? 

Archived