Trump tweets praise for the Secret Service, calling them the SS

TitanTiger

33 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Yes I am. Why should there be a "problem"? 

I answered.  The "you're asking" was rhetorical.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

The idea that Tulsa on June 19th was chosen with malice aforethought is so whacky.

At a certain point, it stops being coincidental:

President Trump’s planned convention speech in Jacksonville, Florida, on Aug. 27 falls on the city’s 60th anniversary of a brutal KKK-orchestrated attack on black activists known as “Ax Handle Saturday.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/us/politics/trump-jacksonville-rnc-speech.html

Now either Trump is just a dog-whistling piece of s***, or he's a senile dupe that is allowing racist handlers like Stephen Miller to set these things up, but it's getting increasingly silly to believe that someone isn't choosing these things on purpose.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Chosen with malice, perhaps not.

Chosen with spectacular tone deafness, lack of self-awareness and moral bankruptcy, clearly.

Chosen by accident, particularly in addition to the Jacksonville event falling on another similar anniversary, I can't imagine.

How many people are involved in organizing such an event?  You can't convince me that all of them were clueless about such a significant date.

This was deliberate - either by design or by dismissing the political symbolism as irrelevant. 

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

How many people are involved in organizing such an event?  You can't convince me that all of them were clueless about such a significant date.

This was deliberate - either by design or by by stupidly ignoring the political symbolism as irrelevant. 

And now the removal of LGBTQ protections on the anniversary of the Pulse massacre.

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Of course in Texas they call that "all hat and no cattle."

I don't think you understand the term. In Texas and Oklahoma too, they call placing the rally there "Horse Sense".

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

At a certain point, it stops being coincidental:

Now either Trump is just a dog-whistling piece of s***, or he's a senile dupe that is allowing racist handlers like Stephen Miller to set these things up, but it's getting increasingly silly to believe that someone isn't choosing these things on purpose.

Worth noting: he just moved the event to the 20th.  Someone got in his ear about it.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't think you understand the term. In Texas and Oklahoma too, they call placing the rally there "Horse Sense".

I understand the term just fine.  It's a term for someone that likes to preen around like a big shot with little substance to back it up.  In other words - all about projecting an image over reality.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

There's no justification to start insulting horses.

13 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I understand the term just fine.  It's a term for someone that likes to preen around like a big shot with little substance to back it up.  In other words - all about projecting an image over reality.

Reality, he's the President. He's got the hat and the cattle.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Reality, he's the President. He's got the hat and the cattle.

Reality:  Holding an office with a title doesn't mean you are what you project as an image.  Sticking to popular areas so you can draw large, adoring crowds and give off the impression that you're wildly popular overall doesn't make it true.   Please try to keep up with the conversation you stepped into if you're going to chime in.

37 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Reality:  Holding an office with a title doesn't mean you are what you project as an image.

No, but holding the office of President means you can hold your rallies where they think they will do you the most good.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

No, but holding the office of President means you can hold your rallies where they think they will do you the most good.

No one suggested otherwise.  That wasn't the argument being made about them either.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No one suggested otherwise.  That wasn't the argument being made about them either.

The argument was about President Trump using SS. As these things often do, it wandered away. And now I must choose to depart the keyboard and head outside. It's a nice, cool morning in June and I see a long horseback ride looming in my very near future. Enjoy your day, too.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

The argument was about President Trump using SS. As these things often do, it wandered away. And now I must choose to depart the keyboard and head outside. It's a nice, cool morning in June and I see a long horseback ride looming in my very near future. Enjoy your day, too.

The part you decided to quote was after the SS discussion.  And you chose to argue against a point that neither I, nor anyone else where, was making.  Have a nice one.

President Trump changes Tulsa rally date after controversy over Juneteenth choice

1b8d34c0-ffe6-11e8-9efb-906719b9955b
Jeanine Santucci, USA TODAY

President Trump changes his MAGA rally date in Tulsa over Juneteenth choice

Ad: 16s

WASHINGTON — After days of controversy over Donald Trump's choice to hold his first rally since the coronavirus lockdowns in Tulsa, Oklahoma — the site of one of the worst massacres of African Americans in the country's history — on Juneteenth, the president announced he would change the date of the event.

"Many of my African American friends and supporters have reached out to suggest that we consider changing the date out of respect for this Holiday, and in observance of this important occasion and all that it represents," Trump tweeted late Friday.

He announced the rally will now take place Saturday, June 20, rather than June 19, or Emancipation Day, the holiday commemorating the date in 1865 when Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger traveled to Galveston, Texas, to inform residents that President Abraham Lincoln had freed the slaves and that slave owners had to comply with the Emancipation Proclamation.

Tulsa rally controversy: Trump says rally will be a 'celebration' of his campaign

Trump had stirred controversy for his decision over the first of several big campaign events. It will be his first rally since an event in Charlotte, North Carolina, on March 2. He had said in a Fox News interview that aired earlier Friday that the initial planning of the rally for Juneteenth in Tulsa was not deliberate, and brushed off the criticism.

We had previously scheduled our #MAGA Rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, for June 19th – a big deal. Unfortunately, however, this would fall on the Juneteenth Holiday. Many of my African American friends and supporters have reached out to suggest that we consider changing the date out...

"Think about it as a celebration. My rally is a celebration. In the history of politics, I think I can say there's never been any group or any person that's had rallies like I do," Trump said in the interview. "I go and I just say, 'Give me the biggest stadium and we fill it up every time.'"

Trump has never held a rally in Tulsa, and Oklahoma is a state he won by 36 percentage points in the 2016 election.

The rally comes after weeks of nationwide protests against racism and police brutality in the wake of the death of George Floyd, a Black man whose neck was pinned down by Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin for nearly nine minutes while Floyd cried he couldn't breathe.

What is Juneteenth?: We explain the holiday that commemorates the end of slavery

Critics suggested the Trump campaign was being insensitive by holding a rally on such a significant day in a location where white people attacked Black Americans in 1921. Trump stood by the decision until abruptly changing course Friday evening.

When asked about why the campaign decided to hold the rally in Tulsa and on Juneteenth, senior Trump campaign adviser Katrina Pierson said in a statement Thursday, “as the party of Lincoln, Republicans are proud of the history of Juneteenth."

Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C., the highest-ranking African American in Congress, said he was glad to see the White House alter course after showing "such callous disregard." 

"Not to mention the fact that Tulsa is where may be the most horrendous racial riot that ever took place," Clyburn, the third most powerful member of the House, told CNN Saturday. "So I'm pleased that somebody, either in the White House or with some influence on the White House, prevailed and they changed their minds about this."

Clyburn said he hopes similar consideration will be given to changing the timing or location of the Republican National Convention, which was recently moved to Jacksonville, Florida, from Charlotte, North Carolina, due to coronavirus restrictions on large gatherings.

Trump is scheduled to give his nominating acceptance speech on Aug. 27 – the 60th anniversary of "Ax Handle Day," when mobs of whites attacked blacks holding sit-ins at segregated lunch counters in the north Florida city.

"Anybody who will do something on the anniversary of Ax Handle Day in Jacksonville, Florida – that to me sends a signal this president has a real blind spot when it comes to the real history of this country," he said.

Contributing: Courtney Subramanian, Ledyard King

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Trump changes Tulsa, Oklahoma, rally date after Juneteenth controversy

Archived