Most JRs & SRs Expected to Return for AU Baseball

1 hour ago, warbiscuit said:

I think we need to give more credit to Butch for recruiting, especially with the disadvantages he has compared to other schools just in our conference. 

He's already given huge credit. Every AU baseball fan I've seen plus most people connected with college baseball in the Southeast has praised Butch a lot for what he's done as a recruiter here.

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Mississippi does it for Alabama residents specifically. Not sure if they do it for any other state.

Goesn't have to be state governed though. I think AU could choose to give students from boardering states waivers to get in state tuition. Man if we did something like that for Georgia residents that would be awesome!

Ole Miss had two players from Alabama and MSU had 5. Butch has done pretty well recruiting from Georgia, and he has to contend against Georgia colleges that have the benefit of the HOPE scholarship for Georgia residents. Unfortunately, Alabama is one of the 5 states that don't have an education lottery(Nevada, Alaska, Hawaii, Utah) with Mississippi being the most recent state to approve the lottery in 2019.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotteries_in_the_United_States). 

21 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

Ole Miss had two players from Alabama and MSU had 5. Butch has done pretty well recruiting from Georgia, and he has to contend against Georgia colleges that have the benefit of the HOPE scholarship for Georgia residents. Unfortunately, Alabama is one of the 5 states that don't have an education lottery(Nevada, Alaska, Hawaii, Utah) with Mississippi being the most recent state to approve the lottery in 2019.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotteries_in_the_United_States). 

Even if Alabama’s lottery did pass the last time it was up for a vote I read where it wasn’t going to help education much at all.

19 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

Conor Davis posted he’ll make an announcement tomorrow: probably to which college he’ll play for next season.

https://instagram.com/stories/conordavis13/2336762114160242512?igshid=1vijskys8r5q3

Arizona State. Wasn’t expecting that. 

Surprised CD is growing to ASU. Assumed he would be going to a school in Georgia. So, was the decision based on money, scholarship or other factors. Did he graduate and not get into any AU grad school. 

1 hour ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

Surprised CD is growing to ASU. Assumed he would be going to a school in Georgia. So, was the decision based on money, scholarship or other factors. Did he graduate and not get into any AU grad school. 

So here are probably some reasons why Conor chose ASU. ASU lost two high school signees to the draft, one from California and one from Mississippi. Out of the 5 guys drafted from their roster, 3 are from out of state. Combined with the fact that they lost the best 1B in the draft, Conor became a good fit for them, since they probably gave significant scholarships to at least some of the out of state signees/players, so there was room for a decent scholarship. ASU's out of state grad school tuition from last year was $23,544, where as Auburn's tuition for out of state for both grad and undergrads is $15,978 per semester, so $31,956 for the fall and spring. This was taken from their websites btw. Add in the fact that ASU could give a higher scholarship than Auburn has given him the last four years because of the draft losses, the cheaper tuition, and he's only playing for one year, ASU would be significantly cheaper tuition wise for Conor. Plus Georgia and Georgia Tech didn't exactly have room for him on the field. Anyways, I think either Dyal/Ceccoli may be the replacement for Conor next year at the moment, because I didn't see any 1B recruits for next year barring new recruits/position changes. 

On 6/22/2020 at 9:24 PM, warbiscuit said:

So here are probably some reasons why Conor chose ASU. ASU lost two high school signees to the draft, one from California and one from Mississippi. Out of the 5 guys drafted from their roster, 3 are from out of state. Combined with the fact that they lost the best 1B in the draft, Conor became a good fit for them, since they probably gave significant scholarships to at least some of the out of state signees/players, so there was room for a decent scholarship. ASU's out of state grad school tuition from last year was $23,544, where as Auburn's tuition for out of state for both grad and undergrads is $15,978 per semester, so $31,956 for the fall and spring. This was taken from their websites btw. Add in the fact that ASU could give a higher scholarship than Auburn has given him the last four years because of the draft losses, the cheaper tuition, and he's only playing for one year, ASU would be significantly cheaper tuition wise for Conor. Plus Georgia and Georgia Tech didn't exactly have room for him on the field. Anyways, I think either Dyal/Ceccoli may be the replacement for Conor next year at the moment, because I didn't see any 1B recruits for next year barring new recruits/position changes. 

Thanks for the info and makes sense on the decision to go to ASU. Wished it could have worked out for him to stay at AU. 

https://www.soxon35th.com/2020/06/27/white-sox-sign-fifth-round-pick-bailey-horn/

Horn signed for 150K. Slot was for 386,600. Since I assume Bailey's back home in Texas, it reminded me of a small tidbit how Brendan Venter wouldn't sign his signing bonus with the Braves until he went back home to Texas so he wouldn't have to pay state income taxes on his bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

Tanner Burns signed for 1.6 million dollars. Werner Blakely, Bailey Horn, Tanner Burns, Matt Scheffler and Ryan Watson have all officially signed their contracts.

Archived