Null

Sign in to follow this  
slot canyon

Softball 2021 Preseason Stuff

Recent article by Phillip Marshall.  There has been some buzz about the pitchers but as mentioned at the end of the article, Denver Bryant is an interesting player.  I hope we will be able to play some form of fall ball and get an early read on the team.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Dean-Auburn-softball-ready-to-compete-at-the-highest-level-148230750/

Edited by slot canyon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As part of a 6/19/2020 "article" by Jason Caldwell, he was asked to comment about next years potential  lineup.  Some of his projections surprised me which I have in quotes  "I think you’re correct about Denver Bryant. I think Makenna Dowell did a solid job there this year, but I believe Bryant’s upside is going to be extremely high. I would probably put Abby Tissier behind the plate with Justus Perry at first. Maybe Dowell at second, Bryant at short and Tannon Snow at third. In the outfield I could see Paige Geraghty being another true freshman who plays along with classmate Kelsey Schmidt. Both could get into the lineup with Alyssa Rivera in the outfield. If they’re not in the lineup one could be the designated player for this team."  My main question has to do with the two freshmen in the outfield especially since we now have two well experienced upperclassman with Tyler King and recent transfer Kaylee Horton.  I know these freshmen have very good credentials but that would be a bold projection not having seen them on the college diamond.  I may be overreading since he says "both could into the lineup", but I believe King and Horton are quality players with lots of college experience.

I agree. He brought 2 transfers in to play not sit. Especially Horton who is a great defensive OF and if  I remember she led her team in the regionals so she has experience IN the SEC and playoffs.

Tyler King is your prototypical leadoff hitter or falls to last with her type of hitting. 

Hard for freshmen to take over....at least at the start of the season. 

Agree in general with the thoughts above, but note several players have come in and started as freshmen; Kasey Cooper, Carlee Wallace, Rivera, Taylon Snow.  Taylon may be the only one who was a Day 1 starter.  However it turns out, I'm getting pumped for the 2021 season.