Softball 2021 Preseason Stuff

15 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

Thanks, Slot. I imagine you are correct, as usual.

I will refer your comment to my wife. 

I was looking at the 2021 roster numbers for about 8 random teams just to see how they varied.   I will list as follows: #total players/total of seniors+5th yr+ grad student.

Florida 23/6

Georgia 27/9

Alabama 22/7

Tennessee 23/6

Auburn 28/11

Kentucky 21/4

Mississippi State 22/3

LSU 30/4

Not sure that you can make any conclusions from the roster size but some of the better teams (Florida, Alabama and Kentucky) appear to have the more compact rosters.  A lot would depend on how many seniors were on the team at 2020 end and how many elected to return; in Auburn's case 5.  also, I did not attempt to look up rosters of the remaining five tams.

Auburn has 5 pitchers on roster, Mississippi State 7 and LSU 7.  Did not check the others for number of pitchers. The LSU roster size is unusual based on a count to 23 last year and 24 in 2019.  Looking at SEC team stats for 2020 I did not realize that LSU had 3 of the top 10 pitchers (era).  Yarbrough was 9th.  

Looking back at the abbreviated 2020 season where teams were credited with 23 to 28 total games we were very poor statistically. 

Fielding 12/13

Pitching 10/13

Batting 12/13

Overall Winning % 12/13

My genius evaluation would surmise that we have a lot of room for improvement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate your going to the trouble to dig out those numbers.  I forget his exact wording, but Dean said in one of his interviews that he had expected 2020 to be his most challenging year, or something like that.  If anyone caught a break in 2020, it was Auburn softball with the shortened year.  Glad 2016 wasn't shortened.  Looking forward to seeing what we can do in 2021 with all the new blood.

I believe he was referring to the team not being very deep at the plate. Hitting has been a struggle to say the least but now the 2020 and 2021 signing class have very good hitters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 5:59 PM, Hspoprn said:

A bit off topic, but has a schedule for 2021 been finalized ?

Just read that the Mary Nutter Classic has been cancelled for 2021.  You are likely aware it is a multi-team event usually held late February in California.  I believe this is an indication as to how uncertain scheduling will be for 2021.  

• Thanks 1

Just noticed that Skylar Wallace, a celebrated recruit who started every game for Alabama in 2020, has transferred to Florida.  Wallace hit .387 in the 22-game season.  Kara Bilodeaux, who transferred from AU to Florida St., is in the portal again.

5 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Just noticed that Skylar Wallace, a celebrated recruit who started every game for Alabama in 2020, has transferred to Florida.  Wallace hit .387 in the 22-game season.  Kara Bilodeaux, who transferred from AU to Florida St., is in the portal again.

Doesn’t seem that Kara can find her fit.

My biggest question for our team this year is the offense. Will we be able to perform during big games( or any games as seen sometimes last year). I think that if we do not improve that we may be back to the days of softball mediocrity.

• Like 1

Not only were we next to last in team batting in the SEC during the short SEC 2020 season.  Four  from the bottom in pitching.  We have a lot of room for improvement in multiple areas.  I believe we expect improvement in the pitching department for sure, but like yourself sure would like to see improved hitting and add to that better fielding.  

• Thanks 1

I was just wondering. Who would be our number 1 pitcher. I believe Yarborough based off last season but if Penta or Lowe has developed a lot they might make a case. Will be an interesting competition.

On 12/7/2020 at 5:59 PM, Hspoprn said:

A bit off topic, but has a schedule for 2021 been finalized ?

This was a tweet from Justin McLeod from Justins World of Softball.  As far as I know, there have not been any schedules posted so this may amount to intentions that have not yet been executed.  Sorry for lack of details. 

SCHEDULE NEWS: The

has "no intention" to and will not shorten their 2021 softball schedules. Teams are planning to play a regular 56-game schedule, sources tell

. The plan includes both conference and non-conference play, as in any normal year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Slot.  I don't get it.  If Justin's information is correct, why is the SEC waiting so long to publish schedules?  There are all kinds of logistical issues that will need to be addressed.  Travel plans, umpire schedules and numerous other things.  Teams start practicing in a few weeks and playing in February.  That doesn't leave much time.  Agree?

2 hours ago, saminbama said:

Thanks Slot.  I don't get it.  If Justin's information is correct, why is the SEC waiting so long to publish schedules?  There are all kinds of logistical issues that will need to be addressed.  Travel plans, umpire schedules and numerous other things.  Teams start practicing in a few weeks and playing in February.  That doesn't leave much time.  Agree?

I believe they are waiting more one the basis of the teams in other conferences they will be playing and the restrictions in the cities where they play.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blakem said:

I believe they are waiting more one the basis of the teams in other conferences they will be playing and the restrictions in the cities where they play.

From the little info available I believe this is correct.  It is the non-conference portion of the schedule that is the hold up.

OK, that makes sense.  Thanks gentlemen.  I presume there will be limited fans allowed at games, so I hope they come up with some way to televise the games.  Something besides one camera behind the plate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, saminbama said:

OK, that makes sense.  Thanks gentlemen.  I presume there will be limited fans allowed at games, so I hope they come up with some way to televise the games.  Something besides one camera behind the plate.

They've been televising softball games for years.  Thank you SEC Network.   Not all games are on tv or even streamed online, but most are.

8 hours ago, saminbama said:

I believe the single camera stuff was during the team scrimmages and is not something you should expect during regular season games.