Softball 2021 Preseason Stuff

On 1/13/2021 at 11:19 AM, OlderWhiskey said:

I would not give too much weight to Softball America's list, as those things are typically hastily researched and like betting odds in the newspaper, "purely for entertainment purposes".  This is in no way intended to diminish the achievements of Ms. Horton or Ms. Yarbrough, both of whom I hold in high esteem.  

I'm largely guessing without any fall games as a guide, but I think Tissier starts behind the plate, with Godwyn as a close second.  That could flip depending on performance at the plate; and we also have Haley Nillen, whom CMD apparently sees high potential in.  I think Perry starts at first, with McCondichie at second.  Short and third to be covered by Dowell and Denver Bryant, with Tannon recovering from her injury (Any update on that?).  Lindsey Garcia or Koeppke would be next woman up.

In the outfield we have a wealth of talent, but Rivera and Horton have earned their spurs in this league, and will start in right and center.  That leaves left to be contested among Maresette, Tyler King, and newcomers Geraghty and Schmidt, in my view.   And we also have the highly touted Reena Falisi.  Dean has good problems with the outfield.  Looking forward to the first game.

I believe that 1 if not both were on the post season top 100 as well for 2020 short season. Wasn't Yarbrough 67th after last season? 

13 hours ago, AU1947 said:

I know right!! Both of those are transfers..

I totally forgot Yarbrough was a transfer as well.  Good point.  2 Top 100 players.  Not an easy schedule.  Our pitching depth will be a huge asset.  Kick off with Bama.  At least we are at home.  Makes it harder for Murphy to cheat.

Edited by saminbama
Add info
  • Like 2

Just saw D1Softball Preseason Top 25 Rankings. Auburn was not listed.

Rank Team 2020 Record
1 ucla.pngUCLA 25-1  
2 oklahoma.pngOklahoma 20-4  
3 washington.pngWashington 23-2  
4 arizona.pngArizona 22-3  
5 lsu.pngLSU 21-3  
6 florida.pngFlorida 23-4  
7 ulala.pngLouisiana 18-6  
8 alabama.pngAlabama 14-8  
9 texas.pngTexas 24-3  
10 okstate.pngOklahoma State 19-5  
11 floridast.pngFlorida State 17-7  
12 oregon.pngOregon 22-2  
13 georgia.pngGeorgia 23-5  
14 vatech.pngVirginia Tech 21-4  
15 missst.pngMississippi State 25-3  
16 arkansas.pngArkansas 19-6  
17 arizonast.pngArizona State 22-7  
18 michigan.pngMichigan 15-8  
19 baylor.pngBaylor 19-5  
20 minnesota.pngMinnesota 15-9  
21 tennessee.pngTennessee 14-9  
22 ucf.pngCentral Florida 21-5  
23 missouri.pngMissouri 19-7  
24 kentucky.pngKentucky 20-4  
25 scarolina.pngSouth Carolina 17-6  

We need to get back to winning consistently.  This needs to be the year we start doing that.  CMD has been here long enough to get it going now. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AUBwins said:

We need to get back to winning consistently.  This needs to be the year we start doing that.  CMD has been here long enough to get it going now. 

I agree. Dean has highly ranked classes recruits coming in and it’s time he do something with them. If things don’t change I got him 2 more years tops.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I had noticed in earlier research that we were scheduled to visit Troy on 3/10, per Troy's schedule.  That is still showing on the Troy schedule.

That might make some sense as it would be a short trip in-state game 2 days prior to our opening SEC game with BAMA.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 6:11 PM, Hspoprn said:

Any news on how practice is going ?

This may give you some update.  Warning, the video is a bit silly but the article gives some position breakdowns.  Also confirms the injury to Tannon Snow which sounds serious.  I knew she did not play in the fall and I had seen pictures of her in the leg cast.  Very unfortunate for her.  

Influx of talent brings optimism to Auburn softball

ByPhillip Marshall

AUBURN, Alabama –With a mixture of veterans and a recruiting class that was ranked as high as No. 2 nationally, Auburn coach Mickey Dean sees a program ready to take off after three years of struggles.

“The talent level is so much greater on our team,” Dean said. “In 25 years of coaching, this is one of the most talented teams I’ve ever coached. It’s not as experienced, but I can’t remember a team having as much talent 1-14 ever.”

10227146.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off
Samantha Yarbrough was 6-0 with a 1.15 ERA last season. (Photo: Auburn University)

Outfielders Alyssa Rivera and Rachel Cook, first baseman Justus Perry and third baseman Tannon Snow are back for a second senior season allowed by the NCAA because of the pandemic. Snow is not cleared to play because of a severe knee injury suffered in October. Her status is uncertain.

It’s the freshman class that has raised the bar.

“Our freshman class has an opportunity to have such a huge impact,” Dean said. “We know what the other teams have, pretty much. If you have a scouting report on us from last year, it won’t do you any good.

Dean took over a dispirited program in the fall of 2017. Clint Myers, who had taken the 2015 Tigers to the national championship game and the 2014 team to the Women’s College World Series, and his staff had left amid a scandal after assistant coach Corey Myers was alleged to have had an improper relationship with a player. There was division and disappointment.

Against that backdrop, Dean took his first two teams to NCAA regionals. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, last season was called off after the first SEC weekend. Finally, on Feb. 12, the Tigers will play again in the Plainsman Invitational at Jane B. Moore Field.

“The kids have been working hard,” Dean said. “Like I told them in practice, there is nothing we are doing poorly, some things we are doing really well and some things we need to work on. We just have work on getting better on those things.”

Right-hander pitcher Maddie Penta, rated the nation’s No. 2 prospect, is the most decorated of Auburn’s freshmen. Another to watch is Makayla Packer, who can literally play almost any position.

Junior right-hander Samantha Yarbrough is on the Player of the Year Watch list, is one of the nation’s top 25 juniors according Softball American and one of the nation’s top 100 players according to Softball America. Senior outfielder Kaylee Horton, a transfer from Ole Miss, is also one of the nation’s top 100 players according to Softball America. Penta is one of the top 25 incoming freshmen according to Softball America.

Rivera is Auburn’s leading returning hitter after hitting .358 with six home runs last season. Makenna Dowell hit .346 with two home runs.

Yarbrough was one of the nation’s hotter pitchers when last season was called off. She was 6-0 with a 1.15 ERA. Penta and freshman left-hander Shelby Lowe are pushing hard for spots in the rotation. Sophomore KK Dismukes, who also could play first base or designated player, and senior left-hander Lexie Handley are also strongly in the mix.

Here is a position-by-position look at players in the mix to be in the starting rotation:

3B: Freshman Denver Bryant, Packer.

SS: Senior Makenna Dowell, sophomore Madison Koepke.

2B: Sophomore Carlee McCondichie, Koepke, freshman Sydney Cox.

1B: Senior Perry, sophomore Lindsey Garcia, Dismukes, sophomore Maddie Majors.

😄 Junior Aspyn Godwin, senior Abby Tissier.

OF: Horton, Packer,  Rivera, freshman Kelsey Schmidt, senior Tyler King, freshman Page Geraghty.

Dean wouldn’t be specific, but he said Auburn coaches are not far from settling on a starting lineup for opening weekend.

“We are getting pretty close,” Dean said. “We have a couple of kids that tested positive for COVID-19 when they got back to school. They will be coming back this week. The nice thing is we have three or four kids that can play multiple positions. We have to figure out what works best.”

• Thanks 2

I just have a feeling we are going to be a sleeper this year to make a run.  I know other squads will also have returning seniors but this group looks special.  Getting Horton will be such a boost at the plate with her speed and ability to make contact.  It's the piece we haven't had really since Draper.  Our pitching could be Oklahoma, Florida good from years past.  

Side note: still sad we lost Taylon as a transfer last year.   Seeing Tannon's name made me think about it.  But I loved watching Taylon play.  We have good talent there this year, but still.  

• Like 1

I'm starting to get pumped, reading this.  Looks like Packer and Bryant, of the freshmen, are going to play.  A mild surprise that Godwin seems to be listed ahead of Tissier at catcher; another in that Maresette is not listed at all.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I'm starting to get pumped, reading this.  Looks like Packer and Bryant, of the freshmen, are going to play.  A mild surprise that Godwin seems to be listed ahead of Tissier at catcher; another in that Maresette is not listed at all.

Maresette is not even listed on the Auburn roster.

Maybe it is possible, since she is a senior, she decided not to play again this year. I knew some of the seniors decided not to return like Swindle, but don't remember Marasette's situation.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

The sentence above the Position/Players states "players in the mix to be in the starting rotation" so I don't believe this listing is an actual pecking order although it looks close in many instances.  In any event, we will not have long to wait to find out.  Marasette not listed on current roster ( steeleagle beat me to it) which is "down" to 27 players.

Edited by slot canyon

On 1/18/2021 at 2:04 PM, 99TGR said:

Just saw D1Softball Preseason Top 25 Rankings. Auburn was not listed.

Rank Team 2020 Record
1 ucla.pngUCLA 25-1  
2 oklahoma.pngOklahoma 20-4  
3 washington.pngWashington 23-2  
4 arizona.pngArizona 22-3  
5 lsu.pngLSU 21-3  
6 florida.pngFlorida 23-4  
7 ulala.pngLouisiana 18-6  
8 alabama.pngAlabama 14-8  
9 texas.pngTexas 24-3  
10 okstate.pngOklahoma State 19-5  
11 floridast.pngFlorida State 17-7  
12 oregon.pngOregon 22-2  
13 georgia.pngGeorgia 23-5  
14 vatech.pngVirginia Tech 21-4  
15 missst.pngMississippi State 25-3  
16 arkansas.pngArkansas 19-6  
17 arizonast.pngArizona State 22-7  
18 michigan.pngMichigan 15-8  
19 baylor.pngBaylor 19-5  
20 minnesota.pngMinnesota 15-9  
21 tennessee.pngTennessee 14-9  
22 ucf.pngCentral Florida 21-5  
23 missouri.pngMissouri 19-7  
24 kentucky.pngKentucky 20-4  
25 scarolina.pngSouth Carolina 17-6  

Predicting no better than 11th out of the 13 SEC teams?  I don’t see us being any lower than 5-6, but that is fine.  We will surprise many.  If we end up in the bottom 3 of the SEC I think Coach Dean will be gone. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

36 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Predicting no better than 11th out of the 13 SEC teams?  I don’t see us being any lower than 5-6, but that is fine.  We will surprise many.  If we end up in the bottom 3 of the SEC I think Coach Dean will be gone. 

I personally give him 2 more years. If things don’t improve after that I think he’ll be out quick.

6 minutes ago, blakem said:

I personally give him 2 more years. If things don’t improve after that I think he’ll be out quick.

And if this happens we better knock Gerry Glascos door of the hinges with an offer.

18 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I know the SEC is strong but really surprised if we finish that far down. 

On 1/30/2021 at 12:03 PM, around4ever said:

I agree.  Those rankings are based off previous season(s) and this team (at least on paper) is significantly better.   Let's see if it translates to the field. I'm ready for the season to get going and watch this team play.   I have a feeling this could the start to another deep tournament run.

• Like 2