Softball 2021 Preseason Stuff

The entire league is really good. The depth and parity could best be compared to SEC baseball. I think we are an improved team, but we’ll see how the standings end up shaking out. When you only play 8 series, the schedules throughout the league are imbalanced. I certainly think we are a better team than Miss State. They are a bit overhyped IMHO because they promoted their assistant last year and finished 25-3 with a really weak schedule before the season ended. If State played our schedule, I think they’d be much closer to our 16-11 record. 

Edited by all4AU

This Week in Auburn Softball - Feb 3

You can link a podcast "This Week in Auburn Softball - Feb 3" via the softball twitter with CMD and Andy Burcham.  Talked about the indoor facility and toward the end short  general discussion about pitchers.  Apparently, they have some technology (Pro batter system)so in advance of a game you can pull up the opposing pitcher and see their motion and hit their pitches.  Just about a 7 min. podcast if you want to listen.  

Here is YouTube link of the pro-batter system for softball as it existed in 2008.

Edited by slot canyon
  • Love 1

Ain't  COVID wonderful: 

AUBURN, Ala. – In accordance with current state health COVID-19 guidelines, Jane B. Moore Field capacity will be reduced to approximately 20% to begin the 2021 softball season.

Seats will be arranged in two and four seat pods with proper physical distancing between each available seating group. Available and unavailable seats will be marked accordingly.

Ticket information will be emailed directly to 2020 softball season ticket holders. All tickets for the 2021 season will be delivered digitally.  Auburn Athletics' priority is to maximize opportunities to attend games to as many fans as possible over the course of the season while maintaining a safe environment for our student-athletes, fans and staff    

Student seating will be available in section 101.  Student tickets will be general admission and distributed on a first come, first served basis with a valid Ignited Card.  Additional information will be sent directly to current Auburn students leading up to the home opener on February 12 vs. Southeast Missouri State.

Face coverings (over the nose and mouth) will be required for all spectators and gameday workers upon entry and while inside Jane B. Moore Field. Guests may remove face coverings while actively eating or drinking.  

Directional signage, stanchions and barriers will be installed to facilitate six-foot social physical distance at entry gates, concourse pathways, concessions and merchandise queues and seating areas.  Physical distancing will be maintained throughout the facility to the fullest extent possible. 

All transactions for concessions and merchandise at Jane B. Moore Field will be contactless and cashless (credit/debit and Tiger Cards only).

Enhanced cleaning and sanitization procedures throughout the park prior to and during all games will be in effect for the 2021 season. 

Also announced addition of a midweek game Wed., April 14 in Atlanta at 5 PM vs Georgia State.  This will be between our final game of the series  with TA&M 4/11 and  the Kentucky series beginning  April 16 

I don't expect our first series next week with SEMO to be considered any type of "warm up".  They are favored again to win the Ohio Valley Conference this year.  Here is a bit about their shortened 2020 season:

Although the 2020 season lasted only 23 days, the Redhawks accomplished a lot in a short amount of time. SEMO led the OVC in slugging percentage (.528), on-base percentage (.411), triples (14), stolen bases (41), fewest hits allowed (84) and fewest earned runs allowed (40). SEMO also rated second in the league in batting average (.310), home runs (19), opposing batting average (.204), runs allowed (51), stolen bases per game (2.4) and triples per game (0.8).

Nationally, SEMO was among the top 25 in triples per game (2nd), stolen bases per game (8th, 2.4), scoring (16th, 6.7), slugging percentage (21st) and on-base percentage (24th).

Looks like a cold front is moving in just in time for the scheduled 3 game series.

Edited by slot canyon
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

Any of the opening weekend games going to be televised ?

At this point (Sunday AM) there is no information on the AU Athletics page that would suggest TV coverage.  You could check there during the week for any updates.  Also, do not see indication of Radio broadcast.  Fortunately, it appears that game time temps have somewhat improved over what was posted several days ago ......maybe now mid 40's on Saturday and a bit warmer on Sunday.  A few days ago there was mention of possible snow showers but fortunately they are not now forecasted.

On 12/28/2020 at 4:16 PM, BackyardQB said:

Lets try being more optimistic this year - please?  I'm tired of all the pessimistic Auburn fans!  War Eagle!

@BackyardQBYou're just going to have to deal with it. We have some negabarners in our fan base no matter where you go.

On 1/9/2021 at 5:10 PM, AUBwins said:

The pandemic picked the perfect year to come through from a softball sense.  We canceled the down year and gave Dean another year to build his squad. 

Dean was safe regardless with the great recruiting classes he has put together, the first of the great classes getting on campus this year.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:56 AM, OlderWhiskey said:

Due to the rotation, we don't play:  Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Miss. St.

I really wish we would go back to 30 game conference schedules so we can play 10 teams each year instead of 8.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2021 at 6:15 PM, AUBwins said:

We need to get back to winning consistently.  This needs to be the year we start doing that.  CMD has been here long enough to get it going now. 

@AUBwins Patience young grasshopper. This freshman class is the first high quality class he's been able to bring in since taking over. I Definitely don't expect us to be last but I think getting near the middle of the pack would be solid progress.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2021 at 11:20 PM, blakem said:

I agree. Dean has highly ranked classes recruits coming in and it’s time he do something with them. If things don’t change I got him 2 more years tops.

This is his first high quality class. Can we let them develop some before starting this kind of talk? Geez!

• Like 2

On 2/7/2021 at 6:33 AM, slot canyon said:

Also, do not see indication of Radio broadcast. 

TV & radio links are now up for the 1st weekend. Doubleheader Saturday will have Video & Audio streaming. Sunday looks to be audio only.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

This is his first high quality class. Can we let them develop some before starting this kind of talk? Geez!

I’m going to agree. The extra year for all players presents a challenge. A super regional would be a success for the 2021 season but not out of the question if the freshman can acclimate themselves quickly.

The team will be young in 2022 with the losses of Rivera, Horton, Snow, and Perry, plus any others who might move on.  But pitching will be a year older and another great class of recruits coming makes me hopeful.

1 hour ago, Jad0003 said:

I’m going to agree. The extra year for all players presents a challenge. A super regional would be a success for the 2021 season but not out of the question if the freshman can acclimate themselves quickly.

The team will be young in 2022 with the losses of Rivera, Horton, Snow, and Perry, plus any others who might move on.  But pitching will be a year older and another great class of recruits coming makes me hopeful.

In 2021 I think if Snow can't play it will really hurt us as she provides a strong RBI and HR veteran presence in that lineup..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Had to come back and re-read this thread.

There was a bunch of hope and assumption that Dean would do better with his incoming classes.  I just don't see it.  His in game management is arguably the worst in the SEC.  I think most would question his handling of the pitchers.  I think he doesn't have the ability to understand each individual and their personality in handling them from a mental standpoint.  There has been little to negative improvement in hitting results from all players.  I honestly thing that Rivera and Perry have regressed under his staff.  Defensively, our infield looks more like four individuals than a unit.

While it is great that he is recruiting well, I think it won't matter with all of his deficiencies.  It is sad to say it, but I find it difficult to watch his teams play.  I think the talent is there, but the training, preparation and mental aspect has been a failure and that rests on one person's shoulders.  And I highly doubt he is capable of overcoming these shortcomings, unfortunately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Had to come back and re-read this thread.

There was a bunch of hope and assumption that Dean would do better with his incoming classes.  I just don't see it.  His in game management is arguably the worst in the SEC.  I think most would question his handling of the pitchers.  I think he doesn't have the ability to understand each individual and their personality in handling them from a mental standpoint.  There has been little to negative improvement in hitting results from all players.  I honestly thing that Rivera and Perry have regressed under his staff.  Defensively, our infield looks more like four individuals than a unit.

While it is great that he is recruiting well, I think it won't matter with all of his deficiencies.  It is sad to say it, but I find it difficult to watch his teams play.  I think the talent is there, but the training, preparation and mental aspect has been a failure and that rests on one person's shoulders.  And I highly doubt he is capable of overcoming these shortcomings, unfortunately.

I would like to hear from posters who actually have watched his teams play to support what most of us on here are thinking and giving opinions on.

But I agree that a HC in most sports can make the difference in close games and championship level teams by the mental aspect of a team or its players. I see it all the time in sports. 

I have 2 issues to add to Dean's lack of improvement. 1. It is amazing that his teams now in his 4th year are not good hitting teams. This team has little power results, and it seems the only games we win are if Lowe pitches a shutout or gives up less than 2 runs. 2. situational plays called by Dean. For. ex. in the last game we lost we were down 3-1 and Rivera on first. Rivera bats third so you have coming up your 4th and 5th batters, but for some reason Dean has Rivera stealing with 2 outs. The rule is never make the last out when you are behind, and when you still have the meat of your order you let the hitters decide how it ends. Even if she steals 2nd, they are still down 2. Not a good coaching move if he did that.

And others have mentioned his lack of situational coaching. While I agree sometimes you have to be aggressive and make things happen, this team has not shown success w RISP, therefore the lack of runs.

According to another board, Rivera stole on her own. She should have known it wasn’t going to change the outcome of that particular game at this point in her career though. 

Dean has definitely made questionable calls during games, specifically as it relates to bunting, stealing bases, and running ourselves out of innings. It seems he’s trying to over compensate for our lack of power by putting players in motion, but it is killing us against teams with good fielding and catching. It worked in our favor versus Kentucky, but Ole Miss seemed very prepared. Ole Miss looked like the team Dean wants Auburn to be this year, which I thought was the most frustrating team to watch. They put down bunts for base hits and stole at will against our catchers. 

I think we are all agree we need a new hitting coach, specifically one who can help our power hitters on staff and the ones coming in. It would helps our hitters and strategy across the board. 

• Like 1

I have had the opportunity to watch a few games and the team appears to be a bunch of individuals and not operating as a unit that you would expect at this level. You get a real good feel about what's going on when you are at the game.. the program is digressing regardless of the high end recruiting classes due to a lack in the appearance of leadership. I am afraid we are taking several steps back in the current state of the program... truly sad for the players and what we had going for the Auburn softball program.

Edited by AU1947
  • Like 2