repubs or righties i got a question?

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

The ultimate problem, in my estimation, is not as much the policy, or beliefs themselves, as the hatred & militancy of what's becoming of the left.  And I realize my post won't be received well by many on the left.  It's okay to disagree.....or at least USED to be.  However with this new "Cancel Culture" the 1st Amendment is under attack and it's the right, not the left, being dismissed.  There's perfect examples in this very board (even the football board) where I see conservatives attacked and called names for their beliefs and later seeing them apologize and meekly forced to cave to Mob Rule.

And lastly, the ignorance of history and the creation of new, revisionist history is becoming prevalent.  Used to be a saying "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it".  That's never more obvious than in today's culture.  Hearing/reading Dems (at least the far left) calling conservatives "fascists" is almost funny if it weren't so scary.  I'm sure there's plenty threads comparing us to Nazi's and Trump is Hitler.  However....

Who are the one's doing to most prevalent bullying & threatening of those who have differing views today?  The Left.  MeeToo, BLM and it's related anti-semitic group, Antifa, etc = Hitler's Brown Shirts (and later the SS) not ring a bell?

Who are the one's forcing the removal of TV shows about cops & forcing Elmer Fudd......A CARTOON..... off the air because he carried a shotgun, etc?   The Left.  Burning books, records, art in the third reich not ring a bell?

Who are the one's fueling propaganda and subversively forcing their beliefs onto unsuspecting children in our schools and openly through commercials & entertainment etc?  The Left.  Joseph Goebbels, the nazi propaganda minister not ring a bell?

Who are the one's fueling the fight against our 2nd Amendment?   The Left.  The confiscation of firearms and arresting/killing of those who did not comply in nazi Germany's early days not ring a bell?

Now, I'm not stating these things to call anyone on this board anything.   I'm merely doing it in hope's that those who hate conservatives, and call US these names will simply look in the mirror and realize they don't stand on pure & clean ideals.  As Jesus Christ Himself said "He who is without sin, cast the first stone."

Instead of continuing to perpetrate the continued divisiveness, how about each side contemplating their own sins and try reaching across the aisle?

This country is falling apart because nobody will take the first step. 

This might be the most self-contradictory post I've ever seen on this website.

And that's not smack talk. I'm just being honest. 

Your posts on political matters suggest that you are much closer to the fringe and much less amicable to honest, open conversation than you think. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This might be the most self-contradictory post I've ever seen on this website.

And that's not smack talk. I'm just being honest. 

Your posts on political matters suggest that you are much closer to the fringe and much less amicable to honest, open conversation than you think. 

I'm sorry you see it that way.  Hopefully my follow-up to HS's reply will clarify the point I was making.  Or maybe not.

Everything is so one-sided now and it's so rare to see honest self-reflection and admitting of fault and saying "I'm sorry".

It is hard to admit fault.  We have discussed this.  However this board is becoming a microcosm of this country.  If everybody keeps pushing farther to the extremes, they're not going to like the end result.

I finally had to say something.  Again, I'm not trying to say "all" as the OP (and so many other threads/posts) suggest but rather trying to get people to start looking in the mirror before formulating opinions or causing people to lose jobs & livelihoods because of opinions.

Yes, I'm giving a Conservative's POV because it's a question from a Liberal's POV.

But, yes, it goes both ways.

20 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm sorry you see it that way.  Hopefully my follow-up to HS's reply will clarify the point I was making.  Or maybe not.

Everything is so one-sided now and it's so rare to see honest self-reflection and admitting of fault and saying "I'm sorry".

It is hard to admit fault.  We have discussed this.  However this board is becoming a microcosm of this country.  If everybody keeps pushing farther to the extremes, they're not going to like the end result.

I finally had to say something.  Again, I'm not trying to say "all" as the OP (and so many other threads/posts) suggest but rather trying to get people to start looking in the mirror before formulating opinions or causing people to lose jobs & livelihoods because of opinions.

Yes, I'm giving a Conservative's POV because it's a question from a Liberal's POV.

But, yes, it goes both ways.

I mean, you literally blamed the entire political climate on one particular group of people. 

And no, Republicans aren't fascists. But the one at the top is. Fortunately, many other prominent voices in the party are finally trying to salvage the situation before it's too late. We can only hope that it's enough. 

Edit: Aaaaand less than 10 minutes after I post that, I read that FB just had to remove a Trump ad containing a Nazi symbol. 

16 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, you literally blamed the entire political climate on one particular group of people. 

And no, Republicans aren't fascists. But the one at the top is. Fortunately, many other prominent voices in the party are finally trying to salvage the situation before it's too late. We can only hope that it's enough. 

Again, I tried to clarify that since a Liberal was asking the question I answered with a Conservative point of view.  Are you and I going to agree?  Obviously not.  Just like we're not going to agree that Conservatives are all to blame.  That's the point of It goes both ways.

I pointed out some of the problems the extreme left is causing.  Just like there's tons & tons of people pointing out the problems the extreme right are causing.  Also, again, I don't lump The Left with all Liberals just like I hope you don't lump The Right with all Conservatives. 

I'd like to think the extremes could be squashed out by the majority but unfortunately the very loud, very vocal, very in your face minority (being supported by the media) appears to have become the majority.  I hope not....but it's seeming that way.

Not sure why you would call me fringe when all I did was point out things that are true and in print, on video, and free for anyone to see.  But no one feels safe to discuss for fear of being ostracized.

I certainly can point out the things on The Right that are crazy & wrong but I don't need to as they're already well documented on this site, and the media, and social media, etc....but that doesn't mean I don't know a lot of bad extremes exist on the right and admit when they're wrong or disgusting. 

I just would like to see the same honesty both ways.  If you really think the negatives I point out from The (extreme) Left are virtuous...or further, deny they exist, then I don't know what else to say.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I went into town yesterday and caught about 10 minutes of him.  Was curious if he's changed tone even slightly. :rolleyes: 

It was "Democrats hate freedom.  Democrats hate capitalism.  Democrats hate you.  Democrats hate God...."  He didn't even bother to say liberals, it was always "Democrats".  (Supposedly because it's an election year.)

You should tune Rush in occasionally Brother Salty.  You might learn a little about the state of modern politics in this country and the people who are presumably speaking for you.

(And there's always something about Trump to paste, regardless of source. He's just that prolific with his tweets and statements.)

I get that. Do catch him occasionally. Usually on a Friday when making the Florida to Auburn drive. Seems to lighten up on politics some on those days and can be entertaining. Wonder what he said about Aunt Jemima? I love and have always loved Aunt Jemima. Had it on a biscuit this morning. Never considered anything sensitive or racist about it . Breakfast is my favorite meal and Aunt Jemima has often been a part of it. Do opt for strawberry or grape jam some days.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/aunt-jemima-brand-will-change-name-remove-image-quaker-says-n1231260

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

BTW.... What is the difference between the politics forum and the political smack talk forum?  I see no difference in the subjects nor the posts/conversations.

Smack allows Fidy to have a doobie and talk trash. It allows Brother Homer to post ridiculous Salon articles. Pretty well sums it up. 

12 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Smack allows Fidy to have a doobie and talk trash. It allows Brother Homer to post ridiculous Salon articles. Pretty well sums it up. 

Okay, you got me on Fiddy, LOL!

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

BTW.... What is the difference between the politics forum and the political smack talk forum?  I see no difference in the subjects nor the posts/conversations.

me i think   lol. there not supposed to be name calling or demeaning statements i think. i have been told a couple of times my posts belonged in smack instead of the other board so i stay in smack talk. i believe they give you a little more leeway. reg pols is gosh darn but i believe you might be wrong. smack is you stupid idiot wtf?  lol when i first came on here i decided to act just like trump did. why? because they kept giving him a pass on his mouth. so i pretended i was trump and got my inner nasty trump going and all of a sudden people wanted me banned. but i made a valuable point. well to me and maybe a couple anyway.....lol

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

me i think   lol. there not supposed to be name calling or demeaning statements i think. i have been told a couple of times my posts belonged in smack instead of the other board so i stay in smack talk. i believe they give you a little more leeway. reg pols is gosh darn but i believe you might be wrong. smack is you stupid idiot wtf?  lol when i first came on here i decided to act just like trump did. why? because they kept giving him a pass on his mouth. so i pretended i was trump and got my inner nasty trump going and all of a sudden people wanted me banned. but i made a valuable point. well to me and maybe a couple anyway.....lol

That is smack, there.

Well done Fiddy.

Every time I read a post on the Politics board, I half agree with 85% of it...but we are divided as a nation, sadly as Auburn fans, over nearly any issue on and off the field...and even more so as to the causes and the solutions.  I have a half-idea of the cause...a fourth-idea of the solution...and a 100 percent commitment to finding common ground wherever I can, but 72, sometimes we just can't.  It has to be okay to segue in and out of discussions and relationships for a season.

There's a reason...many...why the butterfly is my favorite animal. ❤️

Here's ONE thing that may be true for us all:  we all wish our country would improve.  And for me, I'll always be grateful that, even with its million ills, just the chance to improve my lot here and have a say-so in most things is more than I believe I'd get anywhere.  War Eagle, FAMILY.  😉 🙃

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Reg Political Forum:

Smack Talk:

jackburton.gif

16 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Not sure why you would call me fringe when all I did was point out things that are true and in print, on video, and free for anyone to see.

That you consider these things fact is half of the problem.

16 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

But no one feels safe to discuss for fear of being ostracized.

That you continue, as a white, straight, Christian male, to play the victim is the other half. 

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Edit: Aaaaand less than 10 minutes after I post that, I read that FB just had to remove a Trump ad containing a Nazi symbol. 

That is literally not true for almost all of the DNC Supporters in America. To them anyone even remotely identifying as a Republican is a Nazi-Fascist-Racist-Homophobe-MAGA-RUSSIANS!!! Loving-a**hole-Whatever . They ALL are. 

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That you consider these things fact is half of the problem.

That you continue, as a white, straight, Christian male, to play the victim is the other half. 

I'm dumbfounded.  Wow man.

Okay then.  You do you.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:01 PM, homersapien said:

Rush, is that you?  :-\

The tone alone would say no, if you actually read his statement.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:25 PM, wdefromtx said:

That’s his M.O., and the best response he can muster up when someone tries to engage intellectual conversation with him. 

Truth.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:31 PM, SaltyTiger said:

What is your obsession with Limbaugh today? No BS Salon articles about Trump to copy and paste?

Another Truth. We didnt get yet another 100% Negative Pop-Psychologist Drive-by-Analysis of some political enemy's mental state by a person that has never been in the same room with that person. Must be a slow day. 

On 6/18/2020 at 1:33 PM, homersapien said:

BS You have never tried to engage intellectual conversation with me.  Never.

Have you ever wondered why almost no one on this board will ever even try to engage you? You post more than the next three posters combined and most, not all certainly, but most is just complete crap that you then deny you support. :ucrazy:

On 6/18/2020 at 2:35 PM, AUsince72 said:

You're concept is not wrong brother.  The only issue I took is that it truly does go both ways.

Neither side in this current political climate is truly virtuous.  And, unfortunately, many decent people are being "cancelled out" because they practice their 1st Amendment rights.

As you said, friends are disbanding, families are separating, good people are being targeted because of their beliefs and I'm not seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

There is no more right & wrong.  Only what makes me feel good.....regardless of who it hurts.  Again, you're absolutely right....but please honestly look at it as it goes both ways.

Thinking about two sides is verboten around here. One side, and only side are you allowed to support or you are a MAGA-LOVING, Right-wing, Racist, Homophobe, Fascist, Owned by the RUSSIANS!!!! <fer here>, even when you are the defacto Board BernieBro, but I have been called a Trumpster so many times by the single-celled parasites on here that it is just direguer. I just faced facts recently that presenting any challenge to think for themselves to some on this board is always going to end badly. Yet I persist, while trying to not be a one note nellie. Hopefully some are listening. But self reflection is not going to happen with the intellectually stale TPM Crowd and they are dominant on both sides. 

Whether they are MSM TPM People or Rushannity TPM People, their minds are made up. If you disagree with one or the other you are in their eyes, EVIL. 2-3 days ago I was called basically an out of touch idiot for linking to Taibbi Articles. I respect a guy that clearly sees and and writes in full paragraphs, backed with facts, in...WAIT FOR IT... BOOKS! We cant have that it seems. Any challenge to their Talking Points mentality, where all thinking is stopped so DNC or Fox News Talking Points can be drilled into their wee lil minds, must be rejected, and by name calling is certainly used as the defacto course of action. 

But Wait There's More GIFs | Tenor

Want proof? Look at the Taibbi article recently posted. It agrees with some of the folks on here and suddenly...VOILA! Taibbi is a great journalist again. Why?

It all goes back to my original criticism of Ruahannity (for decades) and now a goodly chunk of the MSM in America. The American Public has made these folks millionaires so that they can spend 15 or more hours a week Reflecting Back their Already held ideas. Hell Rush even admits that his schtick is just "VALIDATING" the views of his listeners. But, unfortunately the business model has worked too well. Now they all have started using it. Look at Maddow. She was the The Lefty Rush in 2016. Hell at points she has SOUNDED LIKE she was turning into Alex Jones on the Russiagate Story. How did all that turn out? Everything but a Nothing Burger, as Van Jones said it was on Day One.

Taibbi, when he was disagreeing wasnt slavishly agreeing with the Talking Points was called crazy, etc. But he posts one article that validates a certain set of Talking Points, and VOILA' Instant conversion back to Acceptable. 

I read this forum most of the time and cover the keyboard. I place my coffee a good 2 feet from me while on here just to avoid the spit takes. 

3 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Truth.

Another Truth. We didnt get yet another Pop-Psychologist Drive-by-Analysis of some one's mental state. Must be a slow day. 

Have you ever wondered why no one on this board will ever even try to engage you? You post more than the next three posters combined and most, not all certainly, but most is just complete crap that you then deny you support.

Thinking about two sides is verboten around here. One side, and only side are you allowed to support or you are a MAGA-LOVING, Right-wing, Racist, Homophobe, Fascist, Owned by the RUSSIANS!!!! <fer here>, even when you are the defacto Board BernieBro, but I have been called a Trumpster so many times by the single-celled parasites on here that it is just direguer. I just faced facts recently that presenting any challenge to think for themselves to some on this board is always going to end badly. Yet I persist, while trying to not be a one note nellie. Hopefully some are listening. But self reflection is not going to happen with the intellectually stale TPM Crowd and they are dominant on both sides. 

Whether they are MSM TPM People or Rushannity TPM People, their minds are made up. If you disagree with one or the other you are in their eyes, EVIL. 2-3 days ago I was called basically an out of touch idiot for linking to Taibbi Articles. I respect a guy that clearly sees and and writes in full paragraphs, backed with facts, in...WAIT FOR IT... BOOKS! We cant have that it seems. Any challenge to their Talking Points mentality, where are all thinking is stopped so DNC or Fox News Talking Points can be drilled into their wee lil minds, must be rejected, and by name calling is certainly used as the defacto course of action. 

But Wait There's More GIFs | Tenor

Want proof? Look at the Taibbi article recently posted. I agrees with some of the folks on here and suddenly...VOILA! Taiibi is a great journalist again. Why?

It all goes back to my original criticism of Ruahannity (for decades) and now a goodly chunk of the MSM in America. The American Public has made these folks millionaires so that they can spend 15 or more hours a week Reflecting Back their Already held ideas. Hell Rush even admits that his schtick is just "VALIDATING" the views of his listeners. But, unfortunately the business model has worked too well. Now they all have started using it. Lok at Maddow. She was the The Lefty Rush in 2016. Hell at points she has SOUNDED LIKE she was turning into Alex Jones on the Russiagate Story. How did all that turn out? Everything but a Nothing Burger, as Van Jones said it was on Day One.

Taibbi, when he was disagreeing wasnt slavishly agreeing with the Talking Points was called crazy, etc. But he posts one article that validates a certain set of Talking Points, and VOILA' Instant conversion back to Acceptable. 

I read this forum most of the time and cover the keyboard. I place my coffee a good 2 feet from me while on here just to avoid the spit takes. 

pardon the interruption but are admins smarter mods or do you guys own aufam? i would like to know any board members that are owners. no problems by the way just curious.................

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

pardon the interruption but are admins smarter mods or do you guys own aufam? i would like to know any board members that are owners. no problems by the way just curious.................

Defer to Rob and Titan on that.

Just now, DKW 86 said:

Defer to Rob and Titan on that.

who is rob? runninred?

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

who is rob? runninred?

yes

If you are asking about Admin Emeritus, I used to own the site. Sold it to Rob in 2008. 

I am just a tolerated Progressive Curmudgeon on here now. 
I do contact Rob and Titan about posting to make sure I am not causing issues, from time to time as well.

3 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

yes

If you are asking about Admin Emeritus, I used to own the site. Sold it to Rob in 2008. 

thanks for your time and response. most questions like that get blown off. hell i have contacted the board and never heard back.........

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Thinking about two sides is verboten around here.

I cherry picked this just to not requote your whole post but yes, sadly I see that....especially in 2020.  Since there's no football anyway (and I'm not certain there will be) I normally might peruse All Things Considered but judging from the football forum, politics is just the subject du jour anyway so I thought, okay let's check it out more in depth.  

Though being controversial is not a desire of mine (I prefer friendly & light) Fiddy's question just seemed like a perfect opportunity to demonstrate how one side is no more pure and virtuous as the other.  Just spreading around the mirror, so to speak.  He leans left, I lean right.  Seemed a good opportunity.

Thus, I stand by my posts (and thoughts) and just let the vitriolic replies stand on their own as exhibit a, exhibit b, etc...

Note, I didn't actually state any position on policy except using abortion as a (requested by a poster) real world example of how extreme leftists in public schools are, in fact, trying to indoctrinate our young children to their way of thinking. However, prejudiced assumptions, which Conservatives are constantly being accused of, were made about me because.....well, I'm an evil repub rightie. 

Yes I'm conservative but if anyone actually brought up a current event and asked my stance, odds are I will give you a POV that demonstrates where I think each side makes a good point and also where each side needs to admit fault.  In my heart I'm moderate in thought about most things unless they fly in the face of what My Lord & Saviour says is Right & Wrong.  And even then, I'm a sinner myself so I don't pretend that I don't have some surprisingly contradictory views to my Baptist upbringing.  You don't want ME to make assumptions about you?  I ask the same in return.

But again, I'm honestly not attacking anyone personally and did not do so to begin with either.  Since Fiddy asked the question framed Liberal.  I answered framed Conservative.  In the end, if people on both sides really came down from their high-horses and found some humility, then reason and compromise could gain steam and the extremists would once again become true fringe groups.  Until then, the extremes will continue to grow until this country destroys itself.  Again, history....REAL not revisionist....repeating itself.

20 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't listen to him but I know who he is and people's thoughts on him.  I don't think it was a compliment so... Okay, not a name?

I've spoken the truth in the two statements you cut out.  You can deny it but it doesn't make you correct.  There's myriad examples.  I have one with my own child being taught the virtues of Rowe vs Wade....in 4th GRADE, last year.  NOT the time to be discussing such issues regardless of your position on it.  Yes, we were furious, as were many other parents.  I'm sure you and others on this forum have posted many, many critiques of those of us on the right, picking the most extreme positions.  I won't necessarily deny your wrong, depending on the example.  Again, if BOTH sides could admit their faults, then perhaps healing could begin between the two.

Now, please understand, and I admit it probably wasn't clear.  I'm not referring to all Liberals in general.  Just like when you point out the extreme (or alt) right you're not referring to all Conservatives....or maybe you are?

Rather "The Left"...as in The Squad or George Soros, antifa & those Cancel Culture "get somebody fired because they Liked a Tweet" left.  I suspect you don't consider yourself like that do you?

I would hope you don't consider all Conservatives "The Right" or members of the KKK or white supremacists? 

The Left & The Right seem to be what we call the extremes now.  Perhaps I misunderstand.  I'm certainly not above fault.

My OP and even this follow-up is in direct response to fifty's original question about lumping everyone into extreme groups instead of seeing people's hearts and understanding there are all kinds of belief systems that can coexist with simple patience, understanding and compromise.

Do you really not see the hypocritical irony in making such statements regarding liberals - plus a couple others I didn't bother to quote - and then following up with this:

"Nobody will admit their own faults so nobody can have an honest conversation.....Instead if honest reflection and trying to find common ground, just call me a name."

Really???

:no:

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Do you really not see the hypocritical irony in making such statements regarding liberals - plus a couple others I didn't bother to quote - and then following up with this:

"Nobody will admit their own faults so nobody can have an honest conversation.....Instead if honest reflection and trying to find common ground, just call me a name."

Really???

:no:

I don't see things the way you do, no.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't see things the way you do, no.

At least he didn’t just resort to name calling, that’s an improvement! 

19 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

And you can do your insecure sniping on either. ;)

Archived