Thoughts?

bigbird

On 7/5/2020 at 10:07 AM, DAG said:

Auburn has had multiple opportunities to get over the hump . The 2015 team was probably one of the most talented teams top to bottom. The 2014 team had so much offensive power. There was no reason why the 2017 team didn’t make the playoffs. Say what you want to say about Clemson , but for the most part, when it is a big game, they show up.

Considering we played the top-2 teams four times in 2017, I'd say it was all about endurance. Simply put Auburn's path to the playoffs is substantially harder than any other team in a given year.

I agree with Josh Pate of the Late Kick: If Malzahn and Co. were in the ACC, Big XII, or PAC-12 his teams would be in Championship contention year in, year out.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Considering we played the top-2 teams four times in 2017, I'd say it was all about endurance. Simply put Auburn's path to the playoffs is substantially harder than any other team in a given year.

I agree with Josh Pate of the Late Kick: If Malzahn and Co. were in the ACC, Big XII, or PAC-12 his teams would be in Championship contention year in, year out.

I don’t believe that because if you lose 1 game with those team schedule, for the most part you are out of playoff contention and you need major help. In 2017, we didn’t make the playoffs because we loss to a horrible LSU team. You guys seem to forget although we play a much harder schedule , we also get the benefit of a doubt because of such. We jump much higher in the rankings than we deserve because of such and we have a lot more wiggle room. We were a two loss team and was prime to make the playoffs because of that. Losing to LSU forced us to have to be perfect down the road just to make the playoffs. If we lose to UGA in the SEC championship game and only had 1 loss to Clemson, do you really think we aren’t in the playoffs ? 

Secondly, a big reason Gus is somewhat successful is because of the Auburn name and auburn talent, he is able to get with being in the SEC. He is not getting this talent if he coaches one of the big 12, ACC, or Big Ten schools. Are you saying that you think Gus Malzhan could’ve made Clemson what they are now? 

Yeah, we've been over it a bunch. Look at the losses the last 5 years and tell me how many of them were a result of our tough schedule. If you get even close to half of them, then you're not watching the same games that I am. 

Also, look at all of the losses and tell me how many times the defense deserved to lose. That number goes down fast.

Look at the last 2 Clemson games. First week or two of the season. Gus's offense didn't get off the bus.

Look at the LSU game @DAG talked about. Gus admitted that he quit trying to move the ball on offense. That wasn't a result of the schedule. 

How about sitting on the ball to end the first half of the Iron Bowl? And we weren't even in the lead???

That Tennessee loss? Mississippi State? Most of the bowl games?

Nah. Those aren't scheduling issues. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, we've been over it a bunch. Look at the losses the last 5 years and tell me how many of them were a result of our tough schedule. If you get even close to half of them, then you're not watching the same games that I am. 

Also, look at all of the losses and tell me how many times the defense deserved to lose. That number goes down fast.

Look at the last 2 Clemson games. First week or two of the season. Gus's offense didn't get off the bus.

Look at the LSU game @DAG talked about. Gus admitted that he quit trying to move the ball on offense. That wasn't a result of the schedule. 

How about sitting on the ball to end the first half of the Iron Bowl? And we weren't even in the lead???

That Tennessee loss? Mississippi State? Most of the bowl games?

Nah. Those aren't scheduling issues. 

2013 - Great season. Give the NOD to Gus

2014 - One of the most prolific offense talents in the SEC. Lose to one of the best Miss State teams fielded (Although we are more talented. I can give them a pass). We are in prime playoff position going into the Texas A&M game. We implode to them at home and they are starting a true freshman (The week before they are in a battle with ULM & the next week they lose to unranked Missouri), in his first SEC game..next week we get embarrassed by UGA and that is all she wrote.

2015- One of the most hyped teams of Auburn history.  Although Alabama is ranked higher, we are picked unanimously to ultimate win the SEC by a variety of experts. Complete meltdown of a season.

2017 - Team is primed for a run with the addition of JS. Despite a piss poor offensive showing, Auburn only loses to Clemson at their home 14-6.  Lose to an unranked LSU team, who loss to Troy State the previous week. For most teams, say goodbye to playoff opportunity, but remember we play in the SEC so we can redeem ourselves. Unprecedented run beating both Alabama and UGA in a three week period.  Unfortunately, we face UGA in the SEC Championship game and they get the best of us. People like to look at that and say "Well, we played murderous row." We did hence why we still were a playoff team after losses to Clemson and a very bad loss to LSU. We did not handle business and quite frankly, if we had not let LSU make a comeback, we would've been in the playoffs. PERIOD.

EDIT: If you are in the PAC 12, BIG 12 or ACC and you lose that OOC game to another power 5 team, you essentially have to go undefeated including winning your championship to get to the playoffs and sometimes you may even need help, Still. Only other conference who typically gets the benefit of a doubt is the big ten.

If you'll go back to the 2017 SEC CG against UGA. We had them where we wanted them at halftime, then Kirby made defensive adjustments that shut us down cold, and Gus was incapable of making offensive adjustments to counter. That's why we lost.

40 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

If you'll go back to the 2017 SEC CG against UGA. We had them where we wanted them at halftime, then Kirby made defensive adjustments that shut us down cold, and Gus was incapable of making offensive adjustments to counter. That's why we lost.

And if we hadn’t blown a 20 point lead against LSU earlier that season we still would’ve made the playoffs even losing the SECCG.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And if we hadn’t blown a 20 point lead against LSU earlier that season we still would’ve made the playoffs even losing the SECCG.

YES!👍

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Imagine you’re sitting in 100 degree weather, decked out in Auburn gear, it smells like corn dogs, you’re surround by drunk frat boys screaming “TIGER BAIT!” at you as you walk to your seat. The first quarter opens up and Jarrett Stidham is dicing em up, he gets to the 50 yard line and you see Will Hastings line up in the slot with Delpit covering him... you know what’s coming. Hastings exposes Delpit with a post route and he scores! You’re in everyone of those lame purple and gold frat boys’ faces. You go up 20-0 a little after. But LSU fights back. Surely Gus sees he can score and is gonna keep his foot on the gas right? Surely we’re gonna keep scoring in the second half right? 

That’s when I realized that Gus had lost that fire. And then we blew it. I cried. 

I felt like 2018 was the pivotal year in which Gus was all but out the door during the ATM game. But, a minor miracle happened  and we somehow sparked a  comeback that day, and I honestly think that game saved Gus' job that year. ATM doesn't come back and Gus is toast.

I hope, hope  hope that Gus has finally seen the light and lets Chad do his thing. If he doesn't, and interferes with Chad; it's all over.

21 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t believe that because if you lose 1 game with those team schedule, for the most part you are out of playoff contention and you need major help. In 2017, we didn’t make the playoffs because we loss to a horrible LSU team. You guys seem to forget although we play a much harder schedule , we also get the benefit of a doubt because of such. We jump much higher in the rankings than we deserve because of such and we have a lot more wiggle room. We were a two loss team and was prime to make the playoffs because of that. Losing to LSU forced us to have to be perfect down the road just to make the playoffs. If we lose to UGA in the SEC championship game and only had 1 loss to Clemson, do you really think we aren’t in the playoffs ? 

Secondly, a big reason Gus is somewhat successful is because of the Auburn name and auburn talent, he is able to get with being in the SEC. He is not getting this talent if he coaches one of the big 12, ACC, or Big Ten schools. Are you saying that you think Gus Malzhan could’ve made Clemson what they are now? 

Totally agree.

If Gus is at an ACC school(except Clemson), I think he struggles even more.

Look at Spurrier. Had great success at FL. Then goes to SC for 10 years and is barely above .500 in the East. He recruited pretty well, but not good enough to put SC at the top level of the East or in the top 10 of the nation...

Gus has a great base to work from at Auburn. He just has to get his damn offense up to a championship level to beat the top SEC teams of GA, LSU and Alabama. 

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Look at Spurrier. Had great success at FL. Then goes to SC for 10 years and is barely above .500, even in the ACC. He recruited pretty well, but not good enough to put SC at the top level of the ACC or in the top 10 of the nation..

When did USCe become an ACC school?

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I think he is saying talent and team base makes everything. I think there are only 3 coaches who can go almost anywhere and create a culture of success.

Urban, NS and Dabo.

Gus does not make Auburn. 

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think he is saying talent and team base makes everything. I think there are only 3 coaches who can go almost anywhere and create a culture of success.

Urban, NS and Dabo.

Gus does not make Auburn. 

Before it got edited, it read as USCe was a part of the ACC, not sure why he facepalmed me. Point still stands though

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

1953 & left after 1970.

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Before it got edited, it read as USCe was a part of the ACC, not sure why he facepalmed me. Point still stands though

I face palmed your post b/c that was me realizing you were right. I was slapping my head for not realizing I had a brain fart. THanks for catching it....

30 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I face palmed your post b/c that was me realizing you were right. I was slapping my head for not realizing I had a brain fart. THanks for catching it....

Understood 👊🏻

On 7/6/2020 at 7:40 PM, ClaytonAU said:

Imagine you’re sitting in 100 degree weather, decked out in Auburn gear, it smells like corn dogs, you’re surround by drunk frat boys screaming “TIGER BAIT!” at you as you walk to your seat. The first quarter opens up and Jarrett Stidham is dicing em up, he gets to the 50 yard line and you see Will Hastings line up in the slot with Delpit covering him... you know what’s coming. Hastings exposes Delpit with a post route and he scores! You’re in everyone of those lame purple and gold frat boys’ faces. You go up 20-0 a little after. But LSU fights back. Surely Gus sees he can score and is gonna keep his foot on the gas right? Surely we’re gonna keep scoring in the second half right? 

That’s when I realized that Gus had lost that fire. And then we blew it. I cried. 

Y’all just keep having to bring up that damn game.....I’ve been around some great Auburn wins and some terrible Auburn losses but that game......that is where Gus lost me completely for life. I was pretty jaded before that with Gus but that game left me convinced of our being cemented in mediocrity as long as Gus was at the helm. That’s why the end of that year didn’t scar me, I was already too far gone

On 6/17/2020 at 2:59 PM, bigbird said:

Sent to me earlier today.

Are we sure all these Texas state kids are who we want to build around? Not knocking the individual players but outside of QB or WR I'm not impressed with Texas talent.

So, do y'all agree or disagree?  Try and explain your position either way.

All I gotta say is, 1/2 of Oklahoma's recruits in 2020 were Texas kids, and that is typical of Oklahoma recruiting. They pull a lot of elite talent from Texas. And frankly, they do pretty danged good with Texas players over there in Norman. So I'm calling BS on that opinion of Texas talent.

That said, once the Okies, Hornies and Tammies clean out all of the best talent, the leftovers might not be best gets. But maybe Morris can pull in a few good players from Texas.

And I also noticed that OU recruited several from the Maryland/NC area. I'm not eager to abandon recruiting there. I'm hoping Texas simply *expands* our recruiting territories.

18 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Neuriva brainfart brainbetter brainfail GIF

Archived