No more Gator Chomp

Tigermike

This is just the beginning of other cheers and traditions that will be going away....don't be surprise if "War Eagle" is next to be removed since it originated from the belief a eagle following a soldier from Alabama during the Civil War....asinine!!!!!!

I'm all in agreement if it offends an individual, then there needs to be change, BUT Gator Bait??? and War Eagle??? Got to be kidding...

There's always gonna be somebody offended.  Especially in today's world where people disparately want attention and the best way to get it is to be offended.  They love it when they get on TV with a crowd of reporters saying, "Oh Poor Baby!"

You can't please all of the people all of the time. 

Chomp away Florida!!!  I don't like you guys but I would not deny you your traditions for asinine reasons.

“While I know of no evidence of racism associated with our “Gator Bait” cheer at UF sporting events..."

That's a quote from the UF President. He should have just stopped right there and left the chant alone.

5 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

“While I know of no evidence of racism associated with our “Gator Bait” cheer at UF sporting events..."

That's a quote from the UF President. He should have just stopped right there and left the chant alone.

Kinda seems like he just trying to appease all the opposing fans with this move.    The type of people that are offended by this type of stuff will never be appeased.  They will just move on to the next agenda they deem offensive that week.....  Right @McLoofus & @aubiefifty

Hundreds of years ago white hunters would use black babies to lure alligators, which is obviously a racist action/disgusting/disturbing/inhumane/heartbreaking/etc.....  The chant Gator Bait started in 1995 by a black linebacker at Florida, if you ain't a Gator you must be Gator Bait, obviously a player just loving who he's playing for and what college football is about.  The two are obviously completely unrelated.  I had to look up how Gator Bait was something that is even racist.  Since it was the UF President that is having it removed and he is white, this could be him trying to appease the black community by saying "hey look what I did for you....".  Wonder how long he has been there and if he's on the hot seat for anything?

This is an unfortunate reaction to the problems in the world right now. I should say over-reaction. I used to be against all this whitewashing (probably a racist term now) but if we have to over-react to get things the way they should be then so be it. I don't understand how the gator bait chant is racist but getting rid of it (and maybe even war eagle) some how gets us to where we need to be as a society then so be it. 

I work in the tech industry and there are people in my company pushing to remove the "master" "slave" terminology from our company documents. I have to force myself to not roll my eyes at that kind of stuff but at the same time if there is someone out there that doesn't like the terminology then i bet it would suck to see it casually referenced in tech docs. 

To me getting rid of Gator bait because black babies happened to be used for catching gators. Is like saying we are no longer going to have clothes be made of cotton because black slaves were used to pick cotton.  

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

This is an unfortunate reaction to the problems in the world right now. I should say over-reaction. I used to be against all this whitewashing (probably a racist term now) but if we have to over-react to get things the way they should be then so be it. I don't understand how the gator bait chant is racist but getting rid of it (and maybe even war eagle) some how gets us to where we need to be as a society then so be it. 

I work in the tech industry and there are people in my company pushing to remove the "master" "slave" terminology from our company documents. I have to force myself to not roll my eyes at that kind of stuff but at the same time if there is someone out there that doesn't like the terminology then i bet it would suck to see it casually referenced in tech docs. 

Same for me.  I have started hearing rumblings of this as well in my industry, controls and automation.  There's an easier way to get rid of it, just get rid of Modbus all together. 

3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I saw this earlier and said: 

Do we know if the solider was a Confederate or Union Soldier?  Do we know if the soldier was black or white?  Do we know if the soldier was a racist?
While obviously the odds are the soldier was a Confederate soldier and probably white, isn't assuming that he was and profiling him as a racist because of this kind of what we are fighting against?

5 minutes ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

Do we know if the solider was a Confederate or Union Soldier?  Do we know if the soldier was black or white?  Do we know if the soldier was a racist?
While obviously the odds are the soldier was a Confederate soldier and probably white, isn't assuming that was and profiling him as a racist because of this kind of what we are fighting against?

There are other options out there for how War Eagle originated. We should just start pushing those.....haha

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

Kinda seems like he just trying to appease all the opposing fans with this move.    The type of people that are offended by this type of stuff will never be appeased.  They will just move on to the next agenda they deem offensive that week.....  Right @McLoofus & @aubiefifty

whatever you say skippy baby. you should quit speaking for other folks you do not know. you know that ol saying about assuming? from what i read it seems no one complained about doodle at florida they just decided to do it anyway.  it is just a publicity stunt just like your little post here.

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Look out FSU they'll be coming for ya'll next

They've already been there.  North Dakota and so many others HAD to back down.  I think you may be right, I'm betting the ice under that flaming spear at midfied of Doak Campbell is getting really thin these days. And speaking of Doak Campbell....

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Look out FSU they'll be coming for ya'll next

The Seminole Nation approves of how the Seminole is used. They have pretty strict rules about how the mascot is portrayed. 

46 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The Seminole Nation approves of how the Seminole is used. They have pretty strict rules about how the mascot is portrayed. 

Maybe so but the social justice warriors don't care

12 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Maybe so but the social justice warriors don't care

I think as long as the Seminole Tribe says they like FSU using their name, FSU is fully protected.

Has anyone done a background check on Cliff Hare??? Hopefully he doesn't have any skeleton's in his closet!!!!! Hate to see the name of the stadium change...

21 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

This is just the beginning of other cheers and traditions that will be going away....don't be surprise if "War Eagle" is next to be removed since it originated from the belief a eagle following a soldier from Alabama during the Civil War....asinine!!!!!!

I'm all in agreement if it offends an individual, then there needs to be change, BUT Gator Bait??? and War Eagle??? Got to be kidding...

what we gonna offend talking birds now? lol i say this in jest. i think we are safe but at the same time it would not shock me. i would certainly say it when ever i wanted to thought. nothing more satisfying than beating the turds and hollering war eagle............

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Will HBO be showing this anytime soon? 🤫

New On Blu: WHITE LIGHTNING and GATOR, or “The Redneck ...

They will have to have a contextual disclaimer, I’m sure.  As you say bizzaro world.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Will HBO be showing this anytime soon? 🤫

New On Blu: WHITE LIGHTNING and GATOR, or “The Redneck ...

The only Gator chomp he did in that movie was when he whopped someones ass.

Archived