Clemson 23 players with virus

tigerman1186

Clemson reported that 23 football players tested positive for the virus; hard to imagine the football season or any sport (pro-college-high school) will take part this year as much as we would like to see them play.

Covid is a non event for a healthy young person. These cases are all asymptomatic. Protect the vulnerable, i.e. over 65 with pre existing conditions, and let's get on with our lives. No reason to shut down the world economy for a virus that has a death rate comparable to influenza. Stop believing the headlines and do the math yourself.

4 minutes ago, AU57 said:

Covid is a non event for a healthy young person. These cases are all asymptomatic. Protect the vulnerable, i.e. over 65 with pre existing conditions, and let's get on with our lives. No reason to shut down the world economy for a virus that has a death rate comparable to influenza. Stop believing the headlines and do the math yourself.

I am in violent agreement with this statement.

7 minutes ago, AU57 said:

Wow! thank you. Need more of this!

2 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Clemson reported that 23 football players tested positive for the virus; hard to imagine the football season or any sport (pro-college-high school) will take part this year as much as we would like to see them play.

That's very good news for Clemson. Even if they are having symptoms now, by time for football they will be over it and not having to worry about it again.

PS: I wish these reports would state which test they "tested positive" for. If it's the nasal swab, then they are currently active. If it's the blood test, then they have already had the virus (whether they knew it or not), have the antibodies in their system and are good to go without worries for the future.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

PS: I wish these reports would state which test they "tested positive" for. If it's the nasal swab, then they are currently active. If it's the blood test, then they have already had the virus (whether they knew it or not), have the antibodies in their system and are good to go without worries for the future.

This is not true.

31 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This is not true.

How so? That's how vaccines work, infect the person with a similar, either killed or modified live virus and that makes immunity. Please explain how getting the real thing won't provide immunity.

My Auburn classes in microbiology and infectious diseases don't go back quite as far as when it was discovered that milk maids didn't get smallpox because their cowpox exposure protected them, but the basic principles haven't changed in over the hundred years since those principles were first discovered.

To all the doctors out there???? When I was young I had the measles, now since I'm in my 60's I'm told I could get shingles....what about these young people contracting the virus, will there be something that might show up later in their life??? 

27 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

To all the doctors out there???? When I was young I had the measles, now since I'm in my 60's I'm told I could get shingles....what about these young people contracting the virus, will there be something that might show up later in their life??? 

Not even close to a doctor here but I think you're referring to chicken pox which is the same virus as shingles. 👍

what happens if they test positive before a game? And they are fine? What happens if we are undefeated for the Georgia game and our quarterback tests positive? There is no back up. Are we going to let him play? That would be a no. Are we going to sit players if they are positive even though they are not sick and the chances of them getting very sick are extremely rare? 

This season will be mass hysteria. 

Each starting roster may be different every week. You just don’t know who is going to be sick and who isn’t, unless that player has already been sick.  And if they are positive then they are out at least two games, even if they show no signs of being sick at all. 

15 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

This season will be mass hysteria.

Are we testing everyone after each play (gonna be a long game), each quarter, each half, or just each day? The media (I use the term loosely) will do their best to create another wave of hysteria, and oh my god if a single player with some underlying health condition dies of this, people will lose what little of their minds they have left. Like I referenced in a different post, we're living in Bizarro world now.

31 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Are we testing everyone after each play (gonna be a long game), each quarter, each half, or just each day? The media (I use the term loosely) will do their best to create another wave of hysteria, and oh my god if a single player with some underlying health condition dies of this, people will lose what little of their minds they have left. Like I referenced in a different post, we're living in Bizarro world now.

If a player dies from this then there would probably be reason for mass hysteria. That’s somebody’s son who would be gone 

58 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

If a player dies from this then there would probably be reason for mass hysteria. That’s somebody’s son who would be gone 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

If a player dies from this then there would probably be reason for mass hysteria

Saw a HS football player died in Mississippi recently. Did I miss the hysteria? Or is that reserved for Covid 19(84) positive deaths?

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Saw a HS football player died in Mississippi recently. Did I miss the hysteria? Or is that reserved for Covid 19(84) positive deaths?

I live and work within 15 minutes of Shannon and I barely read about it. Didn't hear about it at all which seemed strange. I go through there on my way to work and work with some who live in or near the town. It wasn't even hot by June standards in MS. It's been in the 80's with little if any humidity that you feel. Really sad about that young man. I don't know what to really think about the upcoming season. It's going to be taking it day by day. 

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

How so? That's how vaccines work, infect the person with a similar, either killed or modified live virus and that makes immunity. Please explain how getting the real thing won't provide immunity.

My Auburn classes in microbiology and infectious diseases don't go back quite as far as when it was discovered that milk maids didn't get smallpox because their cowpox exposure protected them, but the basic principles haven't changed in over the hundred years since those principles were first discovered.

This is why you have to get a flu shot every year.  Viruses mutate.     There are plenty of other examples.  

More importantly,     Evidence is growing that milder cases of Covid  do not give much immunity to the recovered.     

Less immunity after mild infections
 https://www.france24.com/en/20200618-mild-virus-cases-may-bestow-far-lower-immunity-study

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-06-18-20-intl/h_4bde81f54827c383a4910c448ca49541

https://science.orf.at/stories/3200978/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12341160

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I haven’t heard about it but It’s not just reserved for covid. A kid is gone. Post the link to the story

8 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Shingles are a chicken pox thing, not measles. No chicken pox, no shingles.

The problem I see here is a player contracting it at practice or a game, and hugging granny and gramps when he gets home. The most vulnerable section of society.

I can tell you this, it is running rampant in Baldwin County. Last week I did not know anyone that had ever had COVID-19. This week I know 7 Positives and possibly 10+ that will be tested. 

7 hours ago, oracle79 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/highschool/2020/06/17/high-school-football-player-mississippi-collapses-practice-dies/3204789001/   

No word on the cause yet

Archived