People who voted for Trump in 2016 on why they won't in 2020

TitanTiger

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Quite the optimist, aren't you? After the Pubbies hold the Senate, re-take the House and President Trump gets four more years the job of securing the federal bench will be nearly done.

I'd say given the numbers, my bet is a lot safer than the dream scenario you just put out for the right.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'd say given the numbers, my bet is a lot safer than the dream scenario you just put out for the right.

I mean, I get being skeptical of polling, but there's a limit lol. Mikey is living in fantasy land.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Sooner or later, Biden will have to come out of the corner of his basement and fight. I don't think he's up to the task. I do hope you win our bet and Biden is still the Dem's nominee after the convention. I cannot imagine someone who will be easier to beat.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Sooner or later, Biden will have to come out of the corner of his basement and fight. I don't think he's up to the task. I do hope you win our bet and Biden is still the Dem's nominee after the convention. I cannot imagine someone who will be easier to beat.

Trump talked for 17 minutes about how he can drink water like a normal person and walk down a ramp this evening, in addition to reducing COVID tesing. All Biden has to do is stand there and smile and he'll win any debate. I'll put my money on Biden, gaffe prone though he may be. 

But you just keep on being you, Mikey. 

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

But you just keep on being you, Mikey. 

I certainly intend to do just that. As long as Biden keeps on being Biden I expect a satisfactory four more years. (Unless the Dems wake up and dump Biden, which, sadly, is still a very real possibility)

Just now, Mikey said:

I certainly intend to do just that. As long as Biden keeps on being Biden I expect a satisfactory four more years. (Unless the Dems wake up and dump Biden, which, sadly, is still a very real possibility)

LOL the dems aren't going to nominate a republican, so take your harebrained criteria and shove it, and he's about as moderate as any candidate they've put forth since Bill C.

But glad you enjoy President "water bottles and ramps ain't got s*** on me." 

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

This childlike faith that Trump is "draining the swamp" is precious.

What would be childlike faith is believing there is no DC establishment, or "swamp" if you will, but it wouldn't be very precious. We can debate POTUS's successes on this so far (DOJ, FBI, Judges, defense, etc.) but there is one thing we do know for sure. Biden will never push back against the DC establishment, he is part of it.

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

I mean, I get being skeptical of polling, but there's a limit lol. Mikey is living in fantasy land.

It's funny and a bit sad at the same time. 

There's a legit argument that the Senate stays in Republican hands, though at this point, I doubt it.

The Presidency isn't a lock by any means for the Democrats, though I think they hold the advantage.

But the House?  Yeah, that ain't flipping and there's literally nothing to suggest it would.

I got a problem with both sides: 

1) Trump has always been a horrible guy. He has always been a zero on the Morals, Integrity, Character, and Ethics meters. What did people voting for him expect? He was an FU Vote to the StatusQuo in DC. That’s it really. 
2) The Republican Status Quo machine couldn’t stop him so the DNC put the most over financed candidate to ever run up against him...AND LOST. They have been hallucinating s*** for four years since. 

The Problem In the US is the status quo. People are finally seeing that both parties are 100% owned by Wall Street. They are aligned to make the 1%ers even more money while slashing benefits for common people.

So where are we now? Trump is likely going to lose to the most absolutely committed status quo joe to ever run. The DC establishment hasn’t learned a thing. Not.One.Thing. 

So get ready for round 2 in 2024. The people will again elect an outsider because all the RNC and DNC can find is 25-30-35-40+ year retreads and failures. It is so sad but folks Citizens United will be remembered as the worst SCOTUS decision ever. It paved the way for Wall Street to openly buy DC. 

5 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

What would be childlike faith is believing there is no DC establishment, or "swamp" if you will, but it wouldn't be very precious. We can debate POTUS's successes on this so far (DOJ, FBI, Judges, defense, etc.) but there is one thing we do know for sure. Biden will never push back against the DC establishment, he is part of it.

Oh there's a 'swamp.'  But Trump isn't draining it.  Trump and his cronies are the swamp.  Just because you shuffle one guy out and put another in his place here and there doesn't mean he's fixing the swamp or that he made things better.  He just made things better for him.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Quite the optimist, aren't you? After the Pubbies hold the Senate,

This could happen.  But it's very much in doubt.

re-take the House

This is not going to happen.

and President Trump gets four more years

This is becoming more and more unlikely.  I mean, when I look at the Real Clear Politics electoral map, I'm struggling to find a scenario where Biden ends up with less than 300 electoral votes.  As of today, I've got him up 319-186 with Ohio and NC as toss ups.  Trump has a lot of ground to make up in FL, MI, WI, and PA.  But let's say he manages to peel of the two biggest prizes in that bunch - Florida with 29 EVs and Pennsylvania with 20.  That would still have him losing a squeaker 270-268 even if I went ahead and put both NC and Ohio in his column.

the job of securing the federal bench will be nearly done.

Pffft.  His own SCOTUS picks have each managed to be the deciding votes in two big cases for conservatives so far and sided with the liberals on the court to send them down to defeat.  "Some trust in princes..."

21 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

If the Dems take the Senate, of which there is a real possibility of happening, how do you expect Trump to appoint judges he actually wants if he were to win re-election?

Those two things can’t happen. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

As of today, I've got him up 319-186

Today being nearly five months from election day. If you haven't noticed, the world is churning.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Pffft.  His own SCOTUS picks have each managed to be the deciding votes in two big cases for conservatives so far and sided with the liberals on the court to send them down to defeat.  "Some trust in princes..."

Nonetheless, they are key parts to America's future and they won't be anything like the loonies that Biden's controllers would stick on the court.

16 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Thanks, Homer. It does help to know how specific posters perceive various boards. It's just that...would you not agree...even the Politics forum is so broadly saturated with cultural issues now that it goes way beyond politics? It really seems very intertwined. 

Politics has always been associated with "cultural divides", thanks to our long tradition of politicians who have positioned it as such for personal political benefit. It's always been about collecting a coalition of culturally-identified groups

That's exactly why it's a subject best avoided in social interactions that aren't designed to address it directly.

What we need are more politicians who see the benefits of positioning the "culture" of the "moderate majority" against the cultures of extremism from either side.  But what we've got are politicians who have elevated the culture on one side of the  spectrum to the status of a culture "war" against the other.

14 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

This childlike faith that Trump is "draining the swamp" is precious.

:thumbsup: 

He will be documented to be one of the most corrupt presidents in history - certainly in modern history.  Examples become evident literally every week.

I don't understand how otherwise intelligent people can allow themselves to be hoodwinked by such political rhetoric like "draining the swamp".  It's either gross ignorance of the news or abject denial.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Today being nearly five months from election day. If you haven't noticed, the world is churning.

Nonetheless, they are key parts to America's future and they won't be anything like the loonies that Biden's controllers would stick on the court.

Yeah, that Merrick Garland guy was sooooo radical.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not sure about the world, but America sure as hell is. 

Four more years?  I don't think so.

7 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Oh there's a 'swamp.'  But Trump isn't draining it.  Trump and his cronies are the swamp.  Just because you shuffle one guy out and put another in his place here and there doesn't mean he's fixing the swamp or that he made things better.  He just made things better for him.

Untrue on both counts, not even close. Trump is as far from DC establishment as Biden IS the establishment after 47 years in DC. Biden is nothing but another Bush 1, B. Clinton, Bush 2, Obama and their opponents Dukakis, Dole, Gore, Kerry, McCain, Romney, H.Clinton. Their policies have benefited them and their establishment uni-party at the expense of the American people on issue after issue for decades.

2 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Untrue on both counts, not even close. Trump is as far from DC establishment as Biden IS the establishment after 47 years in DC. Biden is nothing but another Bush 1, B. Clinton, Bush 2, Obama and their opponents Dukakis, Dole, Gore, Kerry, McCain, Romney, H.Clinton. Their policies have benefited them and their establishment uni-party at the expense of the American people on issue after issue for decades.

The naiveté is almost cute. 

Just now, IronMan70 said:

It's your post that's cute, your denial is almost certifiable.

Trump has benefitted the swamp every bit as much as any candidate before him, if not moreso. That you labor under the impression he's somehow reining in the swamp rather than working for their benefit is absolutely hilarious.

9 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Trump has benefitted the swamp every bit as much as any candidate before him, if not more so. That you labor under the impression he's somehow reining in the swamp rather than working for their benefit is absolutely hilarious.

Enjoy your Trump is a DC insider fantasy.

Archived