Back again

bigbird

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 days after he finished the at home antibiotic regimen...His port quit working. So we find ourselves back at our favorite hospital.  

The last text from my wife pretty much sums it up.

I am really almost to the point of tears, just because of frustration.  We were only home from the hospital for 2 weeks and even then he was connected to the antibiotics 24 hours a day.  It just sucks.  He's spent all of his summer in pain dealing with this. It just Really sucks! I just hurt for him so much.

They did a chest X-ray and everything seems to be in the right place but nothing is able to be pushed through or drawn out from his port. They wanted to try TPA (very strong clot buster) but couldn't get it into the port. They are thinking a blood clot somewhere in the line, which obviously isn't the best since the line leads directly into his heart.

Right now they are planning surgery. They don't know why the malfunction is occurring and want to see what's going on. They will first try manipulating the line to see if that resolves the issue. If that doesn't work, then, if present, they will remove the clot hopefully restoring function. If it's an issue with the port and not the line, then they will need to remove/replace the port and we run into the same vascular issues from 3 weeks ago.

James is always upbeat and joyful, but the constant barrage of issue after issue is beginning to really bring him down. He is so strong and resilient but I can literally see his joyfulness beginning to dwindle.

Please pray that this issue will be resolved quickly and painlessly without anymore complications or surprises. Please pray that James can replace his discouragement with the hope and joy he has always had. Also, please pray for my wife's continued strength and resiliency. Like all mothers, she carries all the pain and burdens of their children and she is tired and similarly discouraged.

Thanks again for any and all prayers, well wishes, and happy thoughts.

Screenshot_20200709-212908.png

On 6/22/2020 at 11:05 AM, bigbird said:

Admitted last night.  Waiting on cultures, but is looking like a port infection.

Appreciate any prayers lifted for us. Thank you.

IMG_20200622_110243.jpg

Sorry, bird....haven't been here in awhile. See you elsewhere but didn't know. Prayers sent.

Bird, I am at a loss for words for your son, for you and for your wife. As before my heart goes out. I truly hope that this is resolved and all of you find comfort and rest. I'm truly sorry that this is happening. I just don't know what else to say.

4 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I just don't know what else to say.

Nothing really anything to say. It's just what it is...and it sucks, but I definitely am thankful for the support.

So, funny story...kinda. 

I saw this post on my Wife's Facebook page,

I'm sorry for the late update.  James is getting ready to go down for a port removal surgery.  They are saying it is considered emergent because his peripheral arm culture is now also growing bacteria, meaning the bacteria is filling his entire bloodstream.  Please pray for the surgeons and all medical personnel who will be assisting.  I will update as soon as I can.

It was dated July 10 and I just about fell out, so I quickly called her to see what was happening. Unfortunately, it was 2:30 and I woke her after she had finally got to sleep. After frantically asking what was happening and why she hadn't called me to tell me, she very sweetly informed me that it was dated July 10 of 2014. Needless to say, she got a good chuckle and I found out my reading skills might need some work. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

So, funny story...kinda. 

I'm sorry for the late update.  James is getting ready to go down for a port removal surgery.  They are saying it is considered emergent because his peripheral arm culture is now also growing bacteria, meaning the bacteria is filling his entire bloodstream.  Please pray for the surgeons and all medical personnel who will be assisting.  I will update as soon as I can.

It was dated July 10 and I just about fell out, so I quickly called her to see what was happening. Unfortunately, it was 2:30 and I woke her after she had finally got to sleep. After frantically asking what was happening and why she hadn't called me to tell me, she very sweetly informed me that it was dated July 10 of 2014. Needless to say, she got a good chuckle and I found out my reading skills might need some work. 

This is a perfect example of needing to be able to use multiple "reactions" for a post. 

Bird, y'all hang in there. I'm so sorry that this burden has been placed on your son. Praying for comfort and healing for all of y'all. 

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Please pray that this issue will be resolved quickly and painlessly without anymore complications or surprises. Please pray that James can replace his discouragement with the hope and joy he has always had. Also, please pray for my wife's continued strength and resiliency. Like all mothers, she carries all the pain and burdens of their children and she is tired and similarly discouraged.

You're on that list too, brother.

Thanks again for any and all prayers, well wishes, and happy thoughts.

Phasers set to blast.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Headed to surgery as soon as transport gets to his room.

Brother, I'm praying for success & quick healing.  Tell my man James, I'll be thinking about him while at my appt today.  Brother to brother!

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

So, funny story...kinda. 

You need these moments right now. I'm so sorry, Bird. More of everything all of you've poured out STILL needed. I just can't imagine.  I am waiting on something of much, much, MUCH less magnitude than your family's situation. The Streams in the Desert devotional, an old classic, seems to hit every day where I am, and it's done so in crises worse than my current one for decades. Linking, and I hope it helps a bit. Know that we are all cheering and expectant for your multifaceted breakthrough! God's got you...He really does...because HE IS...and you have chosen to be His.

https://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/desert/streams-in-the-desert-july-9th.html?utm_source=Streams in the Desert&utm_campaign=Streams in the Desert&utm_medium=email&utm_content=3442653&bcid=df20ccab8f299e599195d804607cc8ee&recip=490376586

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Headed to surgery as soon as transport gets to his room.

On it! He really is precious...

Well you do have a bird brain...

Surgery went well. Minimal bleeding and without any complications. I don't have any of the details yet on what the caused failure yet, but they did implant a new port and we're able to save the site. They are in the PACU now and will be back in the room within the hour.  

Thank you all again for the ceaseless support. It's humbling.

Screenshot_20200710-125830.png

Thank the Lord surgery went well.  Hang in there.  If there is a silver lining to you being with James instead if your wife, you don't have to get beat by your daughter again in video games 😉

Just seeing this, I’m glad the surgery went well, prayers for the recovery.

Hang in there, James! We know you've been through a tough time, but we are all rooting for you to feel better soon! Don't lose your joy, James. That will be my specific prayer for you, that God restores your joy!!! We are all in need of joy these days. 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Surgery went well. Minimal bleeding and without any complications. I don't have any of the details yet on what the caused failure yet, but they did implant a new port and we're able to save the site. They are in the PACU now and will be back in the room within the hour.  

Thank you all again for the ceaseless support. It's humbling.

Screenshot_20200710-125830.png

It is our absolute joy.  That is, I believe, THE most important reason for AUFamily...and the reason that we can still call ourselves "FAMILY"--no matter how weird we each are.  

Archived