Open Club  ·  57 members

BBQ Boys

Wood Pellet Smokers/Grills

McLoofus

So I'm pretty sure I want to get a wood pellet smoker/grill. I have a specific question for @Brad_ATX, but I see no reason we can't have an open discussion on this type of grill in this thread.

So Brad, my (still brief/limited) research backs up your claims about Rec-Tec. Do you know the functional differences between the RT-340 and the RT-B380 Bullseye? The latter seems to bring the wood pellet/electric technology to a Weber-style kettle form, minus wifi interfacing. And the 380 offers 40 sq in more real estate, but in a round form instead of square. I feel like the square shape might stretch that real estate a little further than a round one based on my experience with the Weber. Could be wrong though.

Anyway, do you know of any other significant differences? I might just message the company and ask them, too. 

There's also the 590 but now we're looking at $500 more than the 380. 

@McLoofus

I don't know of anything significant difference wise between the two.  I would suggest going to your local Lowe's or something and checking out a rough comparison for size.  Just eyeball it and make sure that something of a similar size will be OK.  The ones you've cited are pretty small and if you want to smoke a brisket + something else, you may have trouble with space.

Either way, Rec-Tec is a great product.  Like I said, came down to them or Grilla for me.  Can't go wrong with either one.

14 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

@McLoofus

I don't know of anything significant difference wise between the two.  I would suggest going to your local Lowe's or something and checking out a rough comparison for size.  Just eyeball it and make sure that something of a similar size will be OK.  The ones you've cited are pretty small and if you want to smoke a brisket + something else, you may have trouble with space.

Either way, Rec-Tec is a great product.  Like I said, came down to them or Grilla for me.  Can't go wrong with either one.

I've been researching today and it's really hard to ignore the passion that Rec-Tec owners have for the company. Good looking out b/c I never would have heard of them.

I'm wondering, since I already have the Weber kettle, if I should go for the 340 (or 590 if we're feeling froggy). But it sounds like the Bullseye might smoke just as well as the others plus give me a much higher temp option. Fun to think about for sure.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've been researching today and it's really hard to ignore the passion that Rec-Tec owners have for the company. Good looking out b/c I never would have heard of them.

I'm wondering, since I already have the Weber kettle, if I should go for the 340 (or 590 if we're feeling froggy). But it sounds like the Bullseye might smoke just as well as the others plus give me a much higher temp option. Fun to think about for sure.

The higher temp option is great for steaks, burgers, etc.  But honestly, I bought some searing grates to go on top of my regular grill grates and they work well.  Gets another 100 degrees or so of heat.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The higher temp option is great for steaks, burgers, etc.  But honestly, I bought some searing grates to go on top of my regular grill grates and they work well.  Gets another 100 degrees or so of heat.

Oh, damn. Okay, that's good to know. I was thinking I'd opt in for those but I didn't realize they worked that well. 

That's another thing that's appealing, though, is all these accessories that I can get for Christmas, birthdays and Fathers Day :)

• 2 months later...

I'm fairly new to the subject as I only got a Pit Boss Pro Series 4 vertical smoker earlier this year. Already had a Weber gas grill, so a smoker was all that was needed and I liked the vertical aspect.  All in all, it's done a pretty darn good job up to this point, especially for the money. It's on the low end, so it's not a huge investment. 

If I didn't have a grill, and wanted to spend the extra $$ to have both options, I might have looked harder at Traeger and Rec-Teq pellet grills. I really like the Rec-Teq wifi controller. 

Pellet smokers are so convenient. My only complaint is the lack of smoke flavor vs. traditional smokers. Have heard there are some work arounds, like smoke tubes, to generate more smoke. Anyway, I will eventually own one, I just don't have the space at the moment. 

11 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Anyway, I will eventually own one, I just don't have the space at the moment.

I was looking hard at RecTecs, but then I had to buy a car. I think I saved money in the end....

Archived