Auburn Flashback - Stephen Davis career game

StatTiger

This Auburn Flashback dates back to October 29, 1994, when Auburn hosted the Arkansas Razorbacks. The Hawgs were coming off an impressive 31-78 victory over Ole Miss but were 3-4 on the season. The Auburn offense struggled during the first half, relying more on their passing game than the run. Coming into the contest, Stephen Davis was limited under 20 carries in four of Auburn’s last five games, and it appeared it would be the same against Arkansas.

Trailing 7-3 at halftime, Terry Bowden elected to lean more on the running game, and Stephen Davis as he carried the ball 17 times during the final two quarters. The Tigers dominated the second half, resulting in a 31-14 victory. Stephen Davis finished the day with 246-yards rushing on 27 carries for three touchdowns. It would be his best outing as an Auburn Tigers and remains 7th best in school history.

Davis had 474-yards on 86 attempts and four touchdowns during the first five games of the 1994 season. During the final six games, he produced 789-yards on 135 carries for nine touchdowns and was named All-SEC. During his three seasons on the field, Stephen Davis had only ten games with at least 20 attempts. He averaged 143.9 YPG during those ten contests as Auburn went 8-1-1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/23/2020 at 12:03 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

I remember that game well.  S. Davis was a beast at times!!!

I think Tank Bigsby will be in the same mold as Davis. He has his size and footwork. I think Tank is actually faster than Davis. I believe that Tank will be a beast and will have a great career. not too many backs can compare to Davis.

Edited by doc4aday

9 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Joe Frazier (#5) was an absolute handful on the edge blocking. All those T Bowden pitch outs were devastating to the edge of defenses, and Frazier was awesome at it! Wde

Yeah. 200 or so of those 246 yards belonged to Frazier

Edited by SumterAubie