What is everyone experiencing real life vrs media?

SaturdayGT

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Nope never in my entire life had a drink while attending a game 

I had your share at games in my younger days. Maybe that one will garner my "ICHY like". Suppose he likes a stadium full of us drunks.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m a very happy and optimistic person. I find almost everyone is kind when you approach them with a sunny disposition. Now is no different than any other time.

You have some very dumb people. You have the coward dumb people who won't say what the super dumb people say but they won't disagree with them either. You have the people that makes jokes about stuff or think things are stupid because it doesn't affect them. I will say for whatever reason it seems people are a little more bold with racism.

The past month I've been asked was I going to go out and rape somebody because I'm black. (I wasn't aware that was a stereotype of black people. Most rapes I've heard about or saw people arrested for were white people) I've been told they see why my ancestors sold me into slavery. I've been called lazy and accused of living off the government and welfare and stuff like that. This isn't from deep detailed arguments mind you. This is from saying everybody should be treated equal.

I feel like the racist people feel empowered because they feel like if police are called they feel like they know whose side the policemen would be on. I feel like I wish people had to back up what they said. When I think back in high school there weren't ANY problems at all with stuff being said. You knew in school if you said the wrong thing to the wrong person you could get your ass whipped. I wish we could go back to that

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

This is from saying everybody should be treated equal.

We agree on something!

Where are you living/working that you've had to listen to the things you mentioned above? Sounds like horrible circumstances.

(Pre-COVID) My family has met up with friends (a black family), my 2 year old ran up and hugged their daughter. No one cared, no one gasped, no one pulled me to the side and said "how dare you." Have played 1 on 1 basketball with my neighbor and his son in their driveway(black family). No one in the subdivision has said a word except hey and wave.

NONE of this is to say there are not areas with idiots that still think "how dare you" or push a racial divide. I guess here in Auburn, thankfully, it hasn't equaled the media's level of division. I'm sure they are around, they just keep it to themselves.

24 minutes ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

(Pre-COVID) My family has met up with friends (a black family), my 2 year old ran up and hugged their daughter. No one cared, no one gasped, no one pulled me to the side and said "how dare you." Have played 1 on 1 basketball with my neighbor and his son in their driveway(black family). No one in the subdivision has said a word except hey and wave.

NONE of this is to say there are not areas with idiots that still think "how dare you" or push a racial divide. I guess here in Auburn, thankfully, it hasn't equaled the media's level of division. I'm sure they are around, they just keep it to themselves.

Not sure what you mean by this, but the media is not fomenting division, they are simply reporting on it.  Perhaps it's unfortunate that the experience you are describing is apparently isn't all that newsworthy but if you look, you can find similar such stories - especially lately because of the pandemic.

Relations between the races have improved enormously since I was young, especially in situations where the socio/economic differences are minimal -  such as among neighbors in the same neighborhood. (And it sounds like you live is a good neighborhood.)

It really shouldn't be all that surprising that racially-based conflict seems to dominate the news, but that's more of a characteristic of "news" in general than it is media fomenting such conflict. 

If anyone is fomenting division, it's Trump.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Not sure what you mean by this, but the media is not fomenting division, they are simply reporting on it.  Perhaps it's unfortunate that the experience you are describing is apparently isn't all that newsworthy but if you look, you can find similar such stories - especially lately because of the pandemic.

Relations between the races have improved enormously since I was young, especially in situations where the socio/economic differences are minimal -  such as among neighbors in the same neighborhood. (And it sounds like you live is a good neighborhood.)

It really shouldn't be all that surprising that racially-based conflict seems to dominate the news, but that's more of a characteristic of "news" in general than it is media fomenting such conflict. 

If anyone is fomenting division, it's Trump.

Maybe it just “seems” to me that everywhere you turn in media outlets, it’s negativity to anger people against one another. Any positive story is drowned out by the masses of negativity.

I totally admit that I’m a man with faults. So I may be incorrectly attaching negativity with division and pointing it all at media sources.

Or I could just be horrible at putting my thoughts into written words. Lol

On 6/26/2020 at 7:15 AM, Mikey said:

What I see is people smiling at each other, most from behind a mask. Holding doors for each other and the like. The racist "I hate you because of your skin color" stuff must be happening somewhere besides rural Alabama.

The racism there is generally less overt, but no less deep than it was 50 years ago.

15 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Why the "there"? Why chose 50 years?

“There” because he referenced a place. It’s a place with which my conscious familiarity spans at least 50 years.

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

“There” because he referenced a place. It’s a place with which my conscious familiarity spans at least 50 years.

Not a lot has changed "there" in 50 years when taking an honest look. "generally less overt" suspect that in a lot of places. Good term Tex.

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Not a lot has changed "there" in 50 years when taking an honest look. "generally less overt" suspect that in a lot of places. Good term Tex.

40 years ago I wanted to believe things were changing. Figured out they weren’t.

22 hours ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

Maybe it just “seems” to me that everywhere you turn in media outlets, it’s negativity to anger people against one another. Any positive story is drowned out by the masses of negativity.

I totally admit that I’m a man with faults. So I may be incorrectly attaching negativity with division and pointing it all at media sources.

Or I could just be horrible at putting my thoughts into written words. Lol

It was always thus. That's the nature of "news".

The only point I am making is that it's not an outside source (the media) that's responsible for the news, it's us.

Granted, technology - technology, the "information age" - is a huge game changer in terms of human perspective (psychology).  We are now blindly groping forward into this new reality.  Back in my day, it was only newspapers and the major networks who delivered the news.  But trust me, the news was just as bad as it is today - actually, even worse. It just wasn't as pervasive.

Being an old fart who was around before anything "beeped"-  I am speaking from personal experience . ;D 

(And putting your thoughts to words is not "horrible" -  just the opposite.)

7 hours ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

My neighborhood is about 30-40% black. We do regular s*** all the time. I don’t know or care what any other neighbors think. Just yesterday we (since Covid) sit in lawn chairs in the driveway and drink beer and wine we used to go in some ones house. Our kids still play together. We did talk about the current situation but don’t get deep into it. Because our community is going on just fine. There’s no need to mess that up with opinions. They are just neighbors not black neighbors. 

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

The racism there is generally less overt, but no less deep than it was 50 years ago.

Yes, racists are everywhere burning crosses, not allowing Black children into schools and maintaining dual water fountains. LMAO!

52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Yes, racists are everywhere burning crosses, not allowing Black children into schools and maintaining dual water fountains. LMAO!

Those things weren’t happening much in 1970 either. 

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Those things weren’t happening much in 1970 either. 

No they weren't. You're going back to 1956, thereabouts.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

And you’re missing my point completely.

I'm not missing your point. I simply believe you are dead, solid, wrong.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm not missing your point. I simply believe you are dead, solid, wrong.

The fact that my point so eludes you suggests otherwise.

7 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

The fact that my point so eludes you suggests otherwise.

I love it when someone else insists they aren't missing YOUR point. 

Apparently they think you don't know what your own point is:dunno:

;D

Been outside 1 time the last 594 hrs playing AC Odyssey.........just learned a few days ago about what happened.......no way a person should loose their life over a fake 20.00 bill........We had a tropical storm blow through and only found out as it happened........I dont do twitter or facebook.......I have sound proofing over my lone window in my former office so I really never know if its night or day........Some may think I am on drugs....not the case.......just hate all the negativity all the time.

On 6/29/2020 at 8:30 PM, TexasTiger said:

40 years ago I wanted to believe things were changing. Figured out they weren’t.

Yep, "generally less overt". 40 years ago I was on campus. We had some black athletes. Most hung out around the floor 1 core area in Haley. See a black person then and wonder what position or track distance. Basketball players where pretty obvious. See an Asian and think math or physics. All seemed pretty good regardless  40 years ago. 

Go through a quick life and career and look where we are today.  

12 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Been outside 1 time the last 594 hrs playing AC Odyssey.........just learned a few days ago about what happened.......no way a person should loose their life over a fake 20.00 bill........We had a tropical storm blow through and only found out as it happened........I dont do twitter or facebook.......I have sound proofing over my lone window in my former office so I really never know if its night or day........Some may think I am on drugs....not the case.......just hate all the negativity all the time.

He didn't lose his life over a counterfeit $20 bill. He lost his life while resisting arrest. A life ended too soon is sad, but we should at least have accurate knowledge of what caused that loss. In this case it was because of resisting arrest while under the influence of three different illegal drugs. Toss a sadistic police officer into that mix and there ya' go.

Archived