back in the day around Auburn

my mother claimed all her life the best time to be had in Auburn was around the fourth of july. she says it was huge and they had parades and fireworks. she said the fair was a huge deal as well because of all food and rides. i think this might have been during the twenties or maybe after. i mean you could watch her face light up talking about it. if i am not mistaken the university always had a hand in the events as well. i just wonder if anyone else remember this or heard about it maybe? mom had been killed in a car wreck in may so she has been on my mind. i just thought someone might have some memories.................

On 6/26/2020 at 7:59 AM, aubiefifty said:

i think this might have been during the twenties..... i just wonder if anyone else remember

Have to be about 130 years old to remember that fiddy. Golf is not nearly that old. 

What are you smoking these days?

Bird told me he didn’t think Golf was a day older than 129!!!

On 6/26/2020 at 7:59 AM, aubiefifty said:

my mother claimed all her life the best time to be had in Auburn was around the fourth of july. she says it was huge and they had parades and fireworks. she said the fair was a huge deal as well because of all food and rides. i think this might have been during the twenties or maybe after. i mean you could watch her face light up talking about it. if i am not mistaken the university always had a hand in the events as well. i just wonder if anyone else remember this or heard about it maybe? mom had been killed in a car wreck in may so she has been on my mind. i just thought someone might have some memories.................

Thinking about this. In the early 90's we bought the home where we raised our family  and lived in for 20 plus years. It was in original Auburn and adjacent to campus. Throughout most of the 90's the 4th was a huge neighborhood event. Started the day with parade around our neighborhood and adjoining streets. Any and all Auburn youngsters were invited to participate. It was well organized and attendance was great. The entire day was festive and we always had huge cookout and gathering in a neighborhood back yard that afternoon. At night there were always supervised fireworks.

Thinking back there were a lot of "old timers" (retired professors, etc....) or their descendants around at that time. Maybe a carry over what your Mom was telling you. Seems that the annual 4th of July gathering sort of panned out in the late 90's and as some organizers moved on.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:22 AM, WarTim said:

Bird told me he didn’t think Golf was a day older than 129!!!

Add a zero and you'd be right

On 7/2/2020 at 9:41 AM, SaltyTiger said:

Thinking about this. In the early 90's we bought the home where we raised our family  and lived in for 20 plus years. It was in original Auburn and adjacent to campus. Throughout most of the 90's the 4th was a huge neighborhood event. Started the day with parade around our neighborhood and adjoining streets. Any and all Auburn youngsters were invited to participate. It was well organized and attendance was great. The entire day was festive and we always had huge cookout and gathering in a neighborhood back yard that afternoon. At night there were always supervised fireworks.

Thinking back there were a lot of "old timers" (retired professors, etc....) or their descendants around at that time. Maybe a carry over what your Mom was telling you. Seems that the annual 4th of July gathering sort of panned out in the late 90's and as some organizers moved on.

Duck Samford Stadium, where we played our ballgames and marched during halftime, is the happening spot for fireworks on Auburn now...

• WarTiger changed the title to back in the day around Auburn

Archived