Cam to Patriots

Proud Tiger

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

LOL!  I'll give KC BBQ this....Burnt ends are spectacular.

But Denver is great for a game.  Stadium is right in the downtown area, so you can barhop all the way over if you don't have a spot to tailgate.  Stadium literally shakes too (it was designed that way).

Already just such a great city to visit. And like you said, those rivalries in the AFC West are so strong, I bet it's nuts when those teams come to town. Going to a Falcons game against the Saints was my first time getting a front row seat to a real NFL rivalry. Actually, no, that was when the Steelers fan yelled "Patriots suck" at baggage claim one time because I was wearing a shirt. It was late, everyone was tired, it was quiet, he wasn't smiling. He just really wanted me to know that he thinks the Patriots suck. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

dfs.gif

That's what I said...

44 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:
1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It is all perspective really.  There is not a bad answer.  If you think college football is better, great.  If you think the NFL is better, great.  One is not better than the other.  It just depends on your perspective.

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You can't appeal to reason or logic with anti-NFL people.

Generally they're white people who never lived in an NFL market and are attached- through education or family ties- to a power college team.

They tell themselves all this crap about how the NFL is less pure than that great bastion of amateurism that is big time college athletics. (L O effing L.) They say that NFL players are just hired mercenaries with no love for their teams or cities. (Never mind that Cam Newton lived in Charlotte and played for Carolina for ten years compared to one at Auburn, or that no college player- especially not a future NFL player- is at one school longer than 5 years while many NFL players are with one team for longer than that.)

Furthermore, the NFL is obviously, necessarily, far and away a superior brand of football. It's suuuuuuuper not close at all. 

They are, in every way, haters. Fortunately, they're not an important voice in the conversation except for those of us who are perfectly happy to enjoy both. 

PS- It's particularly funny to hear somebody who spends an inordinate amount of time on this forum play the "I've got better things to do with my time" card. 

There's alot to agree with here lol, I can't pick out anything specific. I'll just add that I hate the NFL product and think it's severely boring, and wouldn't follow the sport at all without Cam's existence...and I still agree with just about everything you said

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Same reason Jerry Rice and Tom Brady are the best to ever play their positions without being even top 20 at their positions in terms of athletic prowess. 

For me Tom Brady being potentially the best player in any sport knocks it down quite a bit for me 

This is a nice discussion but I usually just like the NFL as background noise for when I blast off into my Sunday heroin ritual. Something about the ref's whistles every few seconds that is just is suuuuchhhhh a release

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You can't appeal to reason or logic with anti-NFL people.

Generally they're white people who never lived in an NFL market and are attached- through education or family ties- to a power college team.

They tell themselves all this crap about how the NFL is less pure than that great bastion of amateurism that is big time college athletics. (L O effing L.) They say that NFL players are just hired mercenaries with no love for their teams or cities. (Never mind that Cam Newton lived in Charlotte and played for Carolina for ten years compared to one at Auburn, or that no college player- especially not a future NFL player- is at one school longer than 5 years while many NFL players are with one team for longer than that.)

Furthermore, the NFL is obviously, necessarily, far and away a superior brand of football. It's suuuuuuuper not close at all. 

They are, in every way, haters. Fortunately, they're not an important voice in the conversation except for those of us who are perfectly happy to enjoy both. 

PS- It's particularly funny to hear somebody who spends an inordinate amount of time on this forum play the "I've got better things to do with my time" card. 

*bandname

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

This is a nice discussion but I usually just like the NFL as background noise for when I blast off into my Sunday heroin ritual. Something about the ref's whistles every few seconds that is just is suuuuchhhhh a release

You never catch the dragon man.

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Already just such a great city to visit. And like you said, those rivalries in the AFC West are so strong, I bet it's nuts when those teams come to town. Going to a Falcons game against the Saints was my first time getting a front row seat to a real NFL rivalry. Actually, no, that was when the Steelers fan yelled "Patriots suck" at baggage claim one time because I was wearing a shirt. It was late, everyone was tired, it was quiet, he wasn't smiling. He just really wanted me to know that he thinks the Patriots suck. 

Wait, that might have been me...

Truthfully the Steelers are my AFC team but the Pack is my NFL team. 

But I am not above saying the Pats suck. :yes:

9 hours ago, gr82be said:

Not many are. And honestly I get it. I just realized after the Cam news that they've been punished *again*. Belichick steals joy. Kraft is slime. Brady was the most protected player in the league. Fans of Boston teams can generally be insufferable. They really are the evil empire. BUT I married into it and my wife and father in law are great sports fans in general. So I show love. 

But after the Falcons collapsed in the SB, we had problems for awhile.

16 hours ago, gr82be said:

Now that is just smart

I can't believe you guys argued with him.....do you know how stupid you have to be to say crack heads watch pro football on Sunday's and also be a college football fan so invested you spend your golden years arguing on a football board every single day?

Who even cares what an individual person likes anyway? I don't like baseball! How many of you give a damn? 

Gotta get me a Cam jersey (probably white) to go with my red color rush Brady jersey. In my minds eye, Tom will always be a Patriot. 

Football shouldn't be played indoors and the NFL does waaay too much of it.  College football does too much of it too.

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Football shouldn't be played indoors and the NFL does waaay too much of it.  College football does too much of it too.

Eh, that doesn't bother me actually, especially for a championship game.  I want to know who the best team is, and for that, you need controllable field conditions.

Plus, I've been to game in Detroit in December.  It was -20 outside, but a toasty 72 inside.  I'll take the 72 all day long.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Eh, that doesn't bother me actually, especially for a championship game.  I want to know who the best team is, and for that, you need controllable field conditions.

Plus, I've been to game in Detroit in December.  It was -20 outside, but a toasty 72 inside.  I'll take the 72 all day long.

Yeah it just looks depressing.  I think all football should be played in 65 degree weather, free of clouds, outside, at the golden hour before sunset. Those 3:30 CBS games are perfect.

Heck, I am probably more of a college football fan because I grew up in a state with no NFL, NBA or MLB teams like many of us.  Attending a school where football was king, in a state where football was king, and which also happened to be where Bo Jackson played didn't hurt.

I still watch the professional sports occasionally just to see the best of the best go at it.  I'll pull for the local teams like the Titans and Preds, but also the teams of the players I liked in college ended up because I'm a freakin' homer.  

College sports is a little more special to me because of those things, and because I played a little college baseball and have an appreciation for how much effort it takes to handle the commitments of playing ball while simultaneously working towards a degree. It's dang tough, and a contact sport like football is considerably more difficult. 

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Yeah it just looks depressing.  I think all football should be played in 65 degree weather, free of clouds, outside, at the golden hour before sunset. Those 3:30 CBS games are perfect.

Correction: CBS games in November are perfect.

It was hot as hell at Florida last year, at LSU in 2017, and at home vs LSU in 2018.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

All I will say is after a full Auburn home season of 100% humidity and 90%+ weather, it can be a nice change for a game in air conditioning in Atlanta!

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I wish every AU home game was at night. Nothing better than Jordan Hare under the lights.

44 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I wish every AU home game was at night. Nothing better than Jordan Hare under the lights.

compared to Jordan Hare under the 100 degree lights and 1/4th of the student section with a few bud lights in them, its truly gorgeous 

16 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Ditto for early fall games and air conditioning. And never having to sit in the rain. Plus the acoustics in most indoor stadiums are amazing. 

And it doesn't bother me at all watching it on TV. It's certainly much better than any college broadcast that starts before 3:30. 

It all goes back to whether or not you are invested in one or both of the teams playing and/or the outcome of the game. If folks don't care about the game itself, then they are going to find things wrong with the peripheral elements of the experience.

It's not entirely dissimilar from the soccer conversation.

Archived