How does this make you feel?

AUApostle

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8-5 usually equals .500 or lower in the SEC.  In 8 seasons since 2012 Auburn has played for the SEC twice and won once.  Surprised Florida’s record is as good as it is.  2012 is really the killer in these numbers.  

just me thinking out loud when I see these numbers.

Bama's record is impressive for sure but without checking the season records I'm going to guess that 50% of Georgia's wins for the 8 seasons are against 3 of the bottom 4 teams during that time. We play 1 of those so we don't pad our record against the same inferior teams as they do. The '12 season really damaged our look in this. If we even went 4-4 that year it gives a truer look of the landscape. 

17 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

8-5 usually equals .500 or lower in the SEC.  In 8 seasons since 2012 Auburn has played for the SEC twice and won once.  Surprised Florida’s record is as good as it is.  2012 is really the killer in these numbers.  

just me thinking out loud when I see these numbers.

UF surprised me too. Must be nice to be in the East. 

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Have a seat and tell me how this makes you feel....

To be fair, 6 of those don’t belong to Gus.

8 of them don’t belong to Gus. We were 0-8 in 2012. 33-23 isn’t bad at all.

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Have a seat and tell me how this makes you feel....

It aligns very strongly with recruiting over that time period, with 1-4 generally out-recruiting us. (TAMU is an exception but that is changing of late)

The first season shouldn’t really count. We had a head coach that had lost his team, and the worst record in program history. Setting that year aside and redistributing games based on the win percentage of the remaining years, and you get a record of 38-26, which puts us 5th, and two of those in front of us played watered down schedules. That certainly makes a difference. So, quality wise, I’d put us in front of Florida. 4th in the best/hardest conference in CFB is nothing to be upset over.

It makes me think we should be in the East where we belong and that Tennessee really sucks.

17 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

A couple games better than USCe...we’re better than that. Or we should be anyway.  But alas we are what we are.

We certainly are but our problem is that our perennials Alabama, Georgia and LSU are better than USCe too. 

46 minutes ago, gr82be said:

We certainly are but our problem is that our perennials Alabama, Georgia and LSU are better than USCe  everyone else's too. 

There you have it.

11 hours ago, gr82be said:

We certainly are but our problem is that our perennials Alabama, Georgia and LSU are better than USCe too. 

I will give you Alabama but most of our losses to LSU and Georgia probably should have been wins. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I will give you Alabama but most of our losses to LSU and Georgia probably should have been wins. 

Yep, continually frustrating. My point was to reference n2s USC comment about us being better. USC only plays Georgia each year of those three. It's been said over and over. I should have let it go. 

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

2 each for sure... possibly more.

At 37-27, Gus' seat wouldn't have ever felt any heat.

33 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Yep, continually frustrating. My point was to reference n2s USC comment about us being better. USC only plays Georgia each year of those three. It's been said over and over. I should have let it go. 

Gotcha. Fair comment. I guess the main sticking point is LSU and they just haven't been much better than Florida, IMO, until last year. 

In response to the OP, it just reaffirms existing emotions about what our program has been under Gus.

As for 2012, we could take 2013 out, also. That was a long time ago, Gus hasn't gotten particularly close to replicating that success, and that was with a lot of Gene Chizik talent, particularly on the offensive line. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Gotcha. Fair comment. I guess the main sticking point is LSU and they just haven't been much better than Florida, IMO, until last year. 

In response to the OP, it just reaffirms existing emotions about what our program has been under Gus.

As for 2012, we could take 2013 out, also. That was a long time ago, Gus hasn't gotten particularly close to replicating that success, and that was with a lot of Gene Chizik talent, particularly on the offensive line. 

Ideally, one should take out the best and worst seasons then average it out.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ideally, one should take out the best and worst seasons then average it out.

Agreed. And for Gus, that's 3.2 league losses a year after taking out 2013 and 2015. And that's regular season only/doesn't count the loss in the SECCG. So, taking out Gus's worst season helps his record more than taking out his best season hurts it. Furthermore, his worst season was more recent than his best. 

To changing the narrative.

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. And for Gus, that's 3.2 league losses a year after taking out 2013 and 2015. And that's regular season only/doesn't count the loss in the SECCG. So, taking out Gus's worst season helps his record more than taking out his best season hurts it. Furthermore, his worst season was more recent than his best. 

To changing the narrative.

I really like Gus as the face of the program. He is absolutely what we want/need as a HC with regards to running a program. I hope the addition of Chad and the willingness to relinquish offensive control works like it did at LSU.  If that comes together like we hope, then Auburn will annually be in the playoff discussion. If it works, Gus will cement a winning legacy and could possibly go down as one of the best we've had.

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I really like Gus as the face of the program. He is absolutely what we want/need as a HC with regards to running a program. I hope the addition of Chad and the willingness to relinquish offensive control works like it did at LSU.  If that comes together like we hope, then Auburn will annually be in the playoff discussion. If it works, Gus will cement a winning legacy and could possibly go down as one of the best we've had.

Your lips to God's ears, my friend.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Good points. I think all this talk of wanting someone else as our coach, only shows we have no idea who would be a better successful coach than the Meyers, Sabans, etc. It's going to be an unknown just like our hiring of Dye or Malzahn for that matter.

But he does everything else pretty well and checks off all the boxes: Good man, represents our university well, very good recruiter, hires mostly a great staff, has given us glimpses of that NC smell and SEC championship attempts, keeps his players out of trouble, and players for the majority like him for his honesty.

The only boxes that need to be redesigned and better is the offense and being more consistently winning our rival games between GA and LSU. Ironically he does pretty well against our biggest rival against the GOAT HC(Saban)...

So i am looking forward over the next 2 years to see if our offense can take this team to the top level(playoffs).

Archived