I fought the lawn, and the lawn won...

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

Hey Gang,

I have returned from quite a long (for me) absence. Long story short, I had a run in with a lawnmower blade deck and my left foot came out a little worse for wear. I have been in the hospital in Birmingham since Sunday, with activities such as two minor surgeries to clean my wound and then close it, learning to walk on crutches and taking copious amounts of Lortab.

My prayer request is a little late and my church, friends and family have handled the prayers for me fairly well. I am asking that you pray for my wife as she has to put up with a cripple until Monday when I return to work. I will be on crutches about six weeks as my foot heals.

SAFETY NOTE: if you have a lawnmower with any kind of safety (such as a riding mower that cuts off when no one is seated on it), do not disable it as the guy I bought my riding lawnmower from did (I don't blame him, I probably would have wanted to do the same thing). The safety features are there for a reason!

So, what have I missed?

Bammer has decided to cancel its football season to prevent further humiliation.

Hillary Clinton has resigned from the Senate to spend more time at home baking cookies and trying to repair her marriage to the most wonderful husband on earth and the love of her life.

:blink:

Hey, you said you were on copious amounts of Lortab - just thought I would help enhance the experience by adding to your euphoria... :roflol:

:roflol:   :roflol:   :roflol:

Thanks, Jenny.  I needed a laugh. 

By the way, is anyone out there a toe donor?

160300[/snapback]

I've been needing to find something to do with that dang 6th toe on my right foot <_<

Ouch!!!

That sounds pretty painful! Dont know what I would do after that happened...

Well good luck to you, and your in everyone's prayers :big:

My dad ran over his foot with a pushmower last year. Broke his foot and 3 toes. I know it sucks...

but football season is around the corner! :D

Prayers sent Bud!

160300[/snapback]

No but my sisters brother in law's third cousin owns a toe(w) truck.

Hey, if you've lost your toe, do you mind if I borrow it? I'm gonna try to get some money out of Wendy's... :big:

Jokes aside: prayers sent.

160300[/snapback]

I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night... :big:

Prayers sent for your speedy recovery, and your wife's sanity!

Guest Tigrinum Major

Thanks for all the well wishes. Just got back from the doctor and everything is looking good. Should make a full recovery minus a big toe on my left foot.

The Wendy's angle has been looked into! Unfortunately, the toe couldn't be found! :roflol::roflol:

Unfortunately, the toe couldn't be found!  :roflol:   :roflol:

160426[/snapback]

I guess it was TOE-st... sorry, could not resist. Call me slow, but I didn't really pick up on it at first, that you ACTUALLY lost a toe... so it's for real, huh? Crutches aside, are you having a hard time walking? Bet your balance is messed up, huh? Was your big toe really toe-tally (heehee) MIA?? :blink:

And I don't think anyone has mentioned how clever your Topic Header was - good job!!

Your optimism has been incredible - better than I would do, I am afraid. Maybe once I calmed down, I might pull out the old Monty Python line "It's just a flesh wound..." but probably only after a few hits of Demerol, when the whole thing was hysterical...

Hey, here's another bright side - you should get a discount on pedicures!!! :big:

I feel bad for your wife for a different reason - I'll bet you were bleeding like a stuck pig when you came running (??) in the house or started yelling or whatever... I can only imagine her horror (yours too, but her horror was coupled with surprise - you were aware of what you had done!)

Guest Tigrinum Major

Hey Gang,

An update on my predicament, which should answer all of Jenny's questions:

Last Sunday afternoon, I was cutting my front yard right before church, and got off my riding lawn mower to move a table that sits on my front lawn. The safety feature on this mower that cuts off the motor had been disabled by the friend that I bought it from. I left the mower creeping along and it got off course a bit and was about to hit teh table I was moving, so I reached over the seat and steering wheel to knock it out of gear. While I was doing this, my left foot got too close to the blade and I received a whack or two from the blade. I immediately looked down to see who had hit me in the foot with a baseball bat and saw my shoe had been ripped up and then noticed a little blood. I freaked out. My wife was outside, so I ran to where she was screaming, "I need your help." She thought at that moment that I had gotten into some bees or hornets or something. I then ran back to the mower to cut the engine, so she then thinks that I have run over our Jack Russell. I turn off the mower, run back to her car, yelling, "I need a towel and I need you to take me to the emergency room."

She proceeds to drive 80 miles an hour for eight blocks and gets me to the emergency room in Oneonta. Luckily a friend of ours is a nurse there, so she gets me calmed down when she realzes that I was not pulling a joke on her (only took about two seconds.) They cut my shoe off and realize that my big toe is MIA. It was determined at that point that the remaining foot was too chewed up to reattach, so no immediate effort to recover the toe was made. Subsequent efforts were unsuccessful. My second toe has a serious cut on it. At this point, I freak out again, thinking I will never walk again. But one of the other nurses tells me that I will just have to learn to walk a little different.

That is the interesting part of the story. The rest of it is that I was transferred to Birmingham Sunday night, where they cleaned my wound well and then sewed me up on Tuesday after they determined that no infection had set in. I returned home Wednesday and have been on crutches ever since. I will get my stitches out next Wednesday and should be able to start learning to walk again shortly after. I returned to work this morning.

I have had wonderful friends and family and church people that have prayed for me, cooked for me, and helped out in many ways. Thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers.

I decided not long after my first dose of morphine kicked in that I could either wallow in grief, embarassment, and guilt, or I could get on with my life. It could have been much worse and I thank God that it wasn't. I will be ok, just a little gimpy for a while.

Prayers sent for you and your wife.

Hope the recovery process is speedy.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...

I hate to hear of an accident like that. Purely an accident. Not just carelessness as so many people tend to be (self included).

We hope you have a speedy recovery and keep the other 9 intact for the rest of your days!!!

Prayers sent!!!!

Archived