Our contract with UnderArmour?

tigerman1186

After reading where UA is trying to end contracts with several universities, I was wondering does anyone know when our contract expires with them??? Also, what was it worth and how long was the agreement....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plan is to renegotiate in 2023-2024. B-ball (especially) and most of the athletic dept favors a switch to 1)Adidas or 2)Nike. 

The board still favors UA. We shall see.

Those of us within earshot of the medical/training end of the contract desperately support a switch away from UA. 

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

The plan is to renegotiate in 2023-2024. B-ball (especially) and most of the athletic dept favors a switch to 1)Adidas or 2)Nike. 

Those of us within earshot of the medical/training end of the contract desperately support a switch away from UA. 

I am guessing the board favors under armour because they are thinking they can keep getting the most money from them. But clearly that might not be the case anymore.

38 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Suits need to listen to the people that understand the equipment and/or the ability to recruit with another company. Having better quality equipment and ability to land the right player more than make up for whatever financial advantage UA might offer. I hope they back out of AU deal so there's no choice but to switch.

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

most of the athletic dept favors a switch to 1)Adidas or 2)Nike.

The Jordan brand should be number one on the list.

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

I don’t see how. The $10 million we got in UA stock in 2015 is now worth less than 2 million.

3 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

does anyone know when our contract expires with them???

3 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

what was it worth and how long was the agreement....

They paid us 80 million plus gave us 10 million in stock which as I just said above is worth less than 2 million now And it was a 10 year deal.

^E hit the bullseye. UA undervalued sportswear as everyday wear and invested in performance...which interestingly, they make an inferior product in many cases.

The board likes them not only for their former lucrative contract (and depending on who you ask, perhaps a few bells and whistles) but also for their catering to the program and belief in AU as one of their bell cows for the company.  Makes ‘Em feel special.

I LOVE Adidas casual wear shoes (I have several pairs of the Superstar shell toe). How does their athletic shoes compare? Notre Dame is probably going to be Adidas “namesake “ school, which is okay as long as they make good equipment and good looking fan apparel. 

edit: I just realized Notre Dame is now sponsored by UA and no longer Adidas. 

I’d be ok with Adidas. They make good cleats. The cleats And BBall shoes for UA are atrocious (my opinion only.)

Only trouble with Adidas is their backstory...ole Adolph and Rudolph were quite active in the Nazi party. Course they did give cleats to Jesse Owens in the Olympics, and that turned out well for him. Little known fact: They bought the 3-stripe look with some whiskey. 

11 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

The cleats And BBall shoes for UA are atrocious

If a company can't get this part right for athletics, nothing else should matter.

You can get Nike and Adidas gear virtually anywhere. Not true with UA. Fans would have considerably more and less expensive apparel options with Nike or Adidas. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Our contract with UnderArmour?

I prefer adidas shoes and cleats, but tend to favor Nike’s shorts, shirts, and overall design. I think Jordan, Adidas and Nike would be good picks for Uniforms and fan gear.UA makes the most ridiculous and tacky looking fan gear I’ve ever seen. The only thing I can usually tolerate is the coaches sideline gear and the vault stuff. But even that stuff is a little outlandish sometimes. I’m a big hat guy and UA’s hats are terrible.

This is not a formal poll but from what I see on tv, Nike appears to be the equipment provider of most of the schools and for the NFL(?) so I dont think we cut too much of a deal with Nike considering their apparent monopoly of the Biz.

3 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Only trouble with Adidas is their backstory...ole Adolph and Rudolph were quite active in the Nazi party.

Ya know, Mercedes and BMW were more than active in the Nazi party and both have factories in the U.S.  Sometimes the cancel culture is counter productive when it comes to their opinions.

I knew UA was going down when they released those all white Curry 2 Lows aka the Rick Moranis specials aka the Shuffle Board Lows. 

Porsche was also very instrumental to the Nazi party as well.

I don't know much about Adidas other than their powerlifting shoes which are the shoe to have and it isn't even close.  Love mine although they are expensive for a shoe.  Whichever our players are the most happy with I will be happy.  I wanted UA to be better because I have felt they really catered to Auburn in every way they could. 

On 7/4/2020 at 10:55 AM, I_M4_AU said:

Ya know, Mercedes and BMW were more than active in the Nazi party and both have factories in the U.S.  Sometimes the cancel culture is counter productive when it comes to their opinions.

And don't forget Hitler's little car...….the VW bug.

We’ll see that’s the rub...can’t make everybody happy on this one. 

it will come down to the best deal for the University and for those responsible for making the decision. I fully expect UA to want a “return on investment” in the near future. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see them either fold or just redirect their efforts with a Nike or Adidas or similar company to brand their under the uniform technology and leave the rest to the bigger dogs. 

just my opinion...don’t hate. 

Archived