Tank getting ready to rumble

aubiefifty

Auburn's Tank getting ready to rumble

ByPhillip Marshall

10-13 minutes

On a team loaded with high-end talent at running back, in a program that has a history of excellence at running back, freshman Cartavious Bigsby, better known as “Tank,” has made a powerful impression without ever stepping on to the practice field.

5-star Auburn signee Tank Bigsby (Photo: 247Sports)

“Let me tell you something,” an Auburn insider tells Auburn Undercover. “That dude isn’t just a difference-maker; he is different. It’s hard for a freshman to be a leader, but he definitely is. That’s saying a lot since we’ve mostly seen him on Zoom since January.”

Bigsby was the crown jewel of Auburn’s 2020 recruiting class, and he will compete for early playing time when preseason camp begins on Aug. 7.

ELITE ACCELERATION KEY FOR BIGSBY

Bigsby, from Callaway High School in Hogansville, Ga., was rated the No. 4 running back and No. 30 player overall in the 2020 recruiting class by the 247Sports Composite. He enrolled at Auburn in January, only to be sent home in March when campuses across the country shut down because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, he’s back working out with his teammates and turning heads.

Former Auburn running back Brad Lester (@thespeedgenius), who runs Athletes Elite Performance in Atlanta, has worked with Bigsby since last season. He also works with star Alabama running back Najee Harris.

Bigsby, Lester says, has skills that few have, the kinds of skills that can’t be taught by a coach.

“His acceleration out of his cuts it’s like he goes from 0-60 in a blink of an eye,” Lester says. “That’s a huge trait. You can’t coach that. We don’t have another running back on our roster that is like that. Even as quick as Shivers is, he doesn’t have the kind of step-and go that Tank has.”

Bigsby is listed at 6 feet and 209 pounds, but his high school coach says he weighed 214 last football season. It’s reasonable to assume he’s bigger today. He has been timed at 4.4 in the 40-yard dash. He can outrun defenders and run over them.

That’s why he is Auburn’s first 5-star running back signee since Michael Dyer in 2010.

“He’s an extremely hard-working,” Lester says. “The first day, he threw up everywhere. That’s how hard I pushed him, but he didn’t back off. He’s a super humble guy. You’d never know he is a 5-star running back. He’s a real nice, real polite guy. I see him going a long way.”

A NAJEE HARRIS LOOKALIKE

Lester, an exercise science major who finished his Auburn career in 2008, has worked with numerous high-level college players, some of whom have gone on to the NFL. He’s been working with Harris since meeting him on the field after Auburn’s Iron Bowl victory last season. Bigsby, he says, has the same kinds of skills.

“When Tank walked in the building, it was crazy,” Lester says. “They are literally built the same way. Getting to work with both, the way the way they run, the way they move. Their demeanor is almost identical. That’s a good thing for Auburn.”

Brad Lester finished his Auburn career in 2008.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn knew when Bigsby committed and then signed that it was a big moment. Bigsby could have signed almost anywhere.

"He's a one-play drive type of guy," Malzahn said. "I mean from anywhere on the field, he can take it to the house.”

Malzahn will get no argument from Callaway head coach Pete Wiggins.

"Tank is very explosive," Wiggins says. "He does a good job understanding the offense and the leverage of the offensive linemen. He's fast, but what really separates him is his effort.”

A TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE

For the better part of a century, Auburn has produced great running backs. Bo Jackson won the Heisman Trophy. Tucker Frederickson and Jackson were No. 1 picks in the NFL Draft. Ronnie Brown was a No. 2 pick and Cadillac Williams, Bigsby’s position coach, No. 5. Frederickson, Jackson, Williams, Brown, Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, Rudi Johnson, William Andrews were among those who were highly successful in the NFL.

Lester says playing running back at Auburn is something special.

“The history of Auburn running backs is amazing,”  Lester says. “It’s a good feeling to carry on the tradition and history. It’s an honor. I try to let them know you are held to a high standard when you are carrying the football for Auburn.”

COMPETITION FOR PLAYING TIME

Bigsby will face serious competition for playing time.

Sophomore D.J. Williams, junior Sean Shivers, redshirt freshman Mark-Antony Richards and sophomore Harold Joiner were all 4-star signees. Senior Malik Miller was a 3-star signee, but he chose Auburn over offers from Alabama, Florida State, Louisville, Mississippi State and North Carolina.

Following is a look at Auburn’s running backs:

D.J. WILLIAMS, SOPHOMORE, 5-10, 216

Auburn’s leading returning rusher, he ran 84 times for 400 yards and two touchdowns last season. He caught five passes for 32 yards.

He was a 4-star signee from Sebring High School in Lake Placid, Fla.

SHAUN SHIVERS, JUNIOR, 5-7, 179

Shivers will long be remembered for his 8-yard run to the winning touchdown in Auburn’s 48-45 victory over Alabama last season. He ran over All-SEC Xavier McKinney, knocking his helmet flying. An elite sprinter, Shivers ran 44 times for 286 yards and three touchdowns.

He was a 4-star signee from Chaminade-Madona High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

HAROLD JOINER, SOPHOMORE, 6-4, 215

Joiner rushed 12 times for 94 yards and a touchdown last season. He caught six passes for 126 yards and a touchdown.

He was a 4-star signee from Mountain Brook.

MARK-ANTONY RICHARDS, RS FRESHMAN, 6-1, 195

Richards missed last season with a leg injury, but has fully recovered. As a senior at Wellington (Fla.) High School, he had 1,300 yards rushing and more than 3,000 all-purpose yards.

He was a 4-star signee.

MALIK MILLER, SENIOR, 5-11,235

Miller, the top blocker among Auburn’s running backs, played mostly on third downs last season. He had 12 carries for 42 yards and caughtfour passes for 49 yards.

He was a 3-star signee out of Madison Academy.

TANK BIGSBY, FRESHMAN, 6-1, 209

16COMMENTS

The top running back prospect in the state of Georgia, Bigsby rushed for 1,636 yards and 27 touchdowns last season. In 2018, he rushed for 2,221 yards and was the AA state Player of the Year. He was an Under Armour All-American.

He was a 5-star signee.

• WarTiger changed the title to Tank getting ready to rumble

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Lots of people assuming there’s gonna be football. 

Just hoping for me. What’s your thoughts.?

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

It's really beginning to look kind of iffy, isn't it? 

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

What sucks is the hard work training, preparing, and logistical planning for the season by the coaches, analyst, medical, support, and AD still has to be done and it may all be for naught. 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

What sucks is the hard work training, preparing, and logistical planning for the season by the coaches, analyst, medical, support, and AD still has to be done and it may all be for naught. 

Hearing the brake pads clamping down in Texas. Thinking about you and your team, and all those rising seniors especially.

9 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Like I told my Patriots fan bro-in-law who isn't as excited about Cam as I am, I'm just going to pretend for now that it's all happening because it's fun to talk about. It's kind of like the shopping list I have prepared for when I win the lottery. I know that neither will actually happen.

The RPO game with Dematrius Davis and Tank will be nasty. The way they cut and get upfield and make guys miss. *chef kiss* 

Armoni Goodwin has that same ability too. They’ll create so many first down/touchdowns together 

Phillip Dukes, when asked for an Auburn RB comparison, called Tank a "thicker Kenny Irons". Specifically referenced that LSU game, which was as good a single-game performance as I've ever seen from an Auburn RB. I mean, since all of the talk is likely just for Ss and giggles at this point, I'm all for S'ing and giggling about what this guy might be.

With Worm, DJ and MAR also ready to go? Chad Morris? Year 2 of Bo Nix and Seth Williams? New life across the board with the OL? LFG. I'll watch these dudes play 6 on 6 in hazmat suits on an empty rec field. Whatever. 

Damn you, 2020. 

12 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Fortunately I don't think the director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases has the authority to make that call.

Man... We're going to have A LOT of depth and position issues coming up.

For one, there's the plague threatening everything and has already affected the normalcy of this year's season assuming we still have one.

Fewer games means fewer reps to potential satisfy the current talent we have onboard, though we all know that's an inevitably anyway.

I dunno what MommaWorm thinks but I suspect Shivers will get plenty of action at the "Change of pace" role so I can't forsee him departing anytime soon.

If I'm reading the Tea Leaves, it seems that Lead-Back spot maybe a 1a/1b between Williams and Bigsby. If that's so I can't see Anthony-Richards staying barring a position change. Joiner has had his niche roles such as the "Wheel-Route Guy" and "Wildcat QB" but even that seems to be challenged with the arrival of many newcomers from the 2020 class. We will wait and see, but I suspect if he gets lapped at those spots then he will split as well.

Miller may still see some time in the pass-blocking role but then again if Joiner grows into that "Charles Clay" role as Malzahn pitched to him, then Miller might become an afterthought and the previous analysis nullified. Another consideration... his eligibility will be up after this season. The competition vacuum could encourage a back who's waivering to stay another year and compete.

But yeah. Lots of questions.

I'm not ready to count MAR out as one of the top 2 backs. DJ's a good back and he deserved the late hype he got in recruiting, but we forget that MAR was a big time recruit. 90th overall recruit in the country, #4 ATH, #12 recruit out of Florida. Big, fast kid. Strikes me as more of a home run threat than DJ. Good pass catcher in high school, IIRC. If he's all the way healthy and he can block/learn the playbook, he's got big time potential for us.

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not ready to count MAR out as one of the top 2 backs. DJ's a good back and he deserved the late hype he got in recruiting, but we forget that MAR was a big time recruit. 90th overall recruit in the country, #4 ATH, #12 recruit out of Florida. Big, fast kid. Strikes me as more of a home run threat than DJ. Good pass catcher in high school, IIRC. If he's all the way healthy and he can block/learn the playbook, he's got big time potential for us.

No knock on anyone else but I’ve been saying for awhile that I think he has most potential out of everyone we have in the RB room. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@passthebiscuits what are you thinking/hearing?

So SEC office is a hot mess right now. They’re waiting it out. I think at the very least gotta just do in conference only. I’m hearing they want 10-team schedule...we are in talks with Tenn. 

I know that they need football ($$$$) but it is gonna be a public relations nightmare given the hoops that will need to be cleared to have a chance.

I dunno. I’m just really pessimistic that it will get off the ground at all. I’d say 20% chance of a season at this point. 

2 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

So SEC office is a hot mess right now. They’re waiting it out. I think at the very least gotta just do in conference only. I’m hearing they want 10-team schedule...we are in talks with Tenn. 

I know that they need football ($$$$) but it is gonna be a public relations nightmare given the hoops that will need to be cleared to have a chance.

I dunno. I’m just really pessimistic that it will get off the ground at all. I’d say 20% chance of a season at this point. 

as an aside who makes the best biscuits in your opinion? grins

I think we will have a season of some sort. Way too much $$$$$ on the line. JMHO 

18 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

No knock on anyone else but I’ve been saying for awhile that I think he has most potential out of everyone we have in the RB room. 

Absolutely. No wrong answers. 

I guess we’ll see about the season. Two of my daughters are at schools with a big football presence. Both have gone to totally on-line classes (for the start of the academic year at least). I love football as much as anyone and understand the financial impact if there is no season. I have no idea how you can rationalize any kind of sports with athletes in close proximity, even with limited or no crowds, if we are saying the environment is so unsafe that classes can’t meet in person. Not arguing for or against (although I do have my personal bias) but not sure how you can have one but not the other. It seems completely contradictory to me. JMTC.....

33 minutes ago, fredst said:

I guess we’ll see about the season. Two of my daughters at schools with big football presence. Both have gone to totally on-line classes (for the start of the academic year at least). I love football as much as anyone and understand the financial impact if no season. I have no idea how you can rationalize any kind of sports with athletes in close proximity, even with limited or no crowds, if we are saying the environment is so unsafe that classes can’t meet in person. Not arguing for or against (although I do have my personal bias) but not sure how you can have one but not the other. It seems completely contradictory to me. JMTC.....

^This!!! 

2 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Man... We're going to have A LOT of depth and position issues coming up.

For one, there's the plague threatening everything and has already affected the normalcy of this year's season assuming we still have one.

Fewer games means fewer reps to potential satisfy the current talent we have onboard, though we all know that's an inevitably anyway.

I dunno what MommaWorm thinks but I suspect Shivers will get plenty of action at the "Change of pace" role so I can't forsee him departing anytime soon.

If I'm reading the Tea Leaves, it seems that Lead-Back spot maybe a 1a/1b between Williams and Bigsby. If that's so I can't see Anthony-Richards staying barring a position change. Joiner has had his niche roles such as the "Wheel-Route Guy" and "Wildcat QB" but even that seems to be challenged with the arrival of many newcomers from the 2020 class. We will wait and see, but I suspect if he gets lapped at those spots then he will split as well.

Miller may still see some time in the pass-blocking role but then again if Joiner grows into that "Charles Clay" role as Malzahn pitched to him, then Miller might become an afterthought and the previous analysis nullified. Another consideration... his eligibility will be up after this season. The competition vacuum could encourage a back who's waivering to stay another year and compete.

But yeah. Lots of questions.

? We definitely don’t have a depth issue at RB lol 

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

I’d love to play Tenn and UF again 

If we play in conference only I think the quality of games will be way better than playing the cupcakes.  However the excitement just won't be there without a packed stadium.    Won't be much of a homefield advantage for anyone.   

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Fortunately I don't think the director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases has the authority to make that call.

no but the people who do are listening to him quite a bit (as they reasonably should) 

Archived