Tank getting ready to rumble

aubiefifty

This thread quickly turned into a discussion on the impact of Covid on the football season which is a valid topic. Let’s keep any Covid related comments on that topic. There’s another forum for the broader political discussion surrounding Covid.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/11/2020 at 9:18 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Let’s do an informal poll:

If the season started this Saturday,

A) would you attend the game in stadium? Would you only attend if it’s not crowded? Wear a mask? (Hint: you should wear a mask!)

B ) if your son was a starter on our football team, would you encourage him to play? What about ride on the full bus to an out of town game? Does your opinion change if he’s a blue-chip player with a chance of going pro and making millions for himself and your family in 6 months? 

A is an easy no for me. But there are conditions- some great safety guidelines have been suggested in addition to wearing a mask, which should be obvious and automatic to everyone at this point (as it should have been months ago)- under which I wouldn't discourage others from attending. If somebody in my family wanted to go, I'd say have fun, see you in 2 weeks. 

B is almost an easy no for me. But the second part is very interesting and gives me pause. I really can't say how I'd respond to every individual player's situation. For example, all of these guys are in peak physical condition, but OLs' extremely large bodies put excessive stress on their internal organs. Does that come into play with the virus and make them more susceptible to short- or long-term complications? That's pure, non-scientific speculation, but it's just one thing that popped up after 5 seconds of thought. The list of individual circumstances is practically infinite. So that's not a question I can honestly answer without actually being in those shoes. 

I appreciate all of you with any affiliation to health care participating in these conversations.

Archived