Auburn Flashback - Casinious Moore

StatTiger

Casinious Moore of Anniston, Alabama, was a highly touted running back signed during Tommy Tuberville’s first recruiting class in 1999. Jeff Whitaker’s Recruiting Publication rated Moore at 9.75 out of a possible ten rating. He was a three-sport star athlete in high school, playing football, basketball, and track. As a junior, he rushed for over 1900-yards and 22 touchdowns but suffered a knee injury during his senior year in high school. He was named Mr. Football by Alabama Football Illustrated.

Casinious Moore rushed for 4168-yards and 48 touchdowns, averaging over 11-yards per rush in high school. As a senior, he rushed for over 1000-yards, adding 535-yards receiving. For his performance, he was named a Blue Chip All-American. Virtually every major program in the south recruited Moore, and he chose Auburn over Arkansas and Florida. He was a good student and Vice President of his senior class.

After signing with Auburn, Moore redshirted the 1999 season, still recovering from his knee injury. He saw limited action during the 2000 season as a backup to Rudi Johnson. 2001 would be his finest hour as Moore started five games over Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown. He totaled 669-yards on 120 offensive touches, scoring four touchdowns. He displayed great patients as a runner, able to see and anticipate an opening to burst through. His vision and tremendous footwork allowed him to avoid the first defender on most occasions.

His running style reminded me of Emmitt Smith, Michael Dyer, and shades of Rudi Johnson. When healthy, he could burst through a gap, but he also possessed the patients to glide behind the line until he could expose a crease. This highlight video displays these abilities that made him a very good running back.

Unfortunately for Casinious Moore, he was rarely healthy, struggling to overcome his leg injuries. Before the 2002 season, he decided to give up football but remained at Auburn to obtain his degree. During the 2001 season, he proved he could compete successfully at the collegiate level, but health issues limited his opportunity.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another what-could've-been RB at AU. It's most likely not the case, but it sure seems like we have had a disproportionate amount of them come through AU.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Another what-could've-been RB at AU. It's most likely not the case, but it sure seems like we have had a disproportionate amount of them come through AU.

Lectron Williams and Harry Mose come I mind. I think both of them could’ve had outstanding careers. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Lectron Williams and Harry Mose come I mind. I think both of them could’ve had outstanding careers. 

Probably the most significant one was Henry Love in 1988. He was a 5-star RB who was in the same conversation of a Bo Jackson type of back because of his size and speed. He and Harry Mose gave up football because of neck injuries.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

At a program that is historically defined by the position, it's probably not crazy to suggest that we have been disproportionately affected by the what-ifs even if the number isn't disproportionately high. 

Extend that to guys who flamed out or had injury-shortened careers in the NFL- to include a real-life superhero- and it's almost depressing. 

It was awesome watching a local player do great things at this level. O still when auburn was recruiting. Casinious Moore. The people back in Anniston was so proud of him. I was even more proud of Casinious because I knew him and he signs with Auburn.