The conclusion I've come to

cole256

Is simply the white people that get upset and are so triggered about "race talk" which is nothing more than people wanting equality.....is they really know what has happened and what's going on is a horrible deal and they simply don't want to let go of any power, or leverage because they are scared that if everything was leveled up they are scared that other people will do to them what they did to others

50 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Is simply the white people that get upset and are so triggered about "race talk" which is nothing more than people wanting equality.....is they really know what has happened and what's going on is a horrible deal and they simply don't want to let go of any power, or leverage because they are scared that if everything was leveled up they are scared that other people will do to them what they did to others

Makes perfect sense. I mean why else did the white majority in this country outlaw slavery and provide the right to vote to everyone and outlaw discrimination based on race or sex and elect a black president? 

52 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Makes perfect sense. I mean why else did the white majority in this country outlaw slavery and provide the right to vote to everyone and outlaw discrimination based on race or sex and elect a black president? 

The same country that established wealth from slavery that then did things make made laws that wouldn't allow banks to offer African Americans low interest loans for business and houses that were used and establish wealth for many now? 

But all white people aren't racist, doesn't change the fact that there are idiots today all over in positions of power in every industry that are. That simply received an unfair advantage in a race that looks back and say hey if you can catch up you can win! 

And let's not pretend that when something is said snap your finger it is so.....things will be right one day, it just that many have to die and be replaced. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I think it is truly more about guilt.
Guilt about not doing more, sooner.
Guilt about knowing what to do, but not doing it without being really challenged. 
Guilt about not staring down and calling out our own family and neighbors when they turn things ugly about race. 

Some of us have dealt with all this.
Some are dealing with it way too slowly.
Some are just not strong enough, no matter what, to stare down and call out the others. 
Some are just bad people and there is no helping them. All races have them, and they must be dealt with by all.

2 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Seriously??

Not really interested in actual history are you?

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

But all white people aren't racist, doesn't change the fact that there are idiots today all over in positions of power in every industry that are. That simply received an unfair advantage in a race that looks back and say hey if you can catch up you can win! 

Thank you Cole. This is a very good Cliff's Notes summary of things  This makes a lot of white people upset too. Ignorant and poorly equipped comes in a variety of colors, shapes and sizes. 

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Many working for equality Cole, but it takes great effort from both sides. Have to dispel myths and stereotypes. Not easy, but a worthy cause.

On 7/7/2020 at 5:25 PM, homersapien said:

Seriously??

Not really interested in actual history are you?

Seriously!! Apparently you aren’t though.

On 7/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, cole256 said:

The same country that established wealth from slavery that then did things make made laws that wouldn't allow banks to offer African Americans low interest loans for business and houses that were used and establish wealth for many now? 

And let's not pretend that when something is said snap your finger it is so.....things will be right one day, it just that many have to die and be replaced. 

I agree with Dr. Rice. If you continue to consider yourself a victim then you are allowing other people to control you. 

21 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

I agree with Dr. Rice. If you continue to consider yourself a victim then you are allowing other people to control you. 

Don't say anything about 9/11 again then. Don't talk about terrorism, or illegal immigrants or even looting again

But you're on the older side of things right?

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Don't say anything about 9/11 again then. Don't talk about terrorism, or illegal immigrants or even looting again

But you're on the older side of things right?

I’m not a victim of any of the things you mentioned. I’m 59 years old. 

That's a shame Cole. 

Maybe find some folks your Father's age and maybe some from your Grandfather's age group.   I have seen relations improve dramatically over just my lifetime, but I did not experience the injustices from the 40's, 50's and 60's.  The first schools I attended were already integrated, although only for a handful of years. I never witnessed "Whites Only" signs on any bathrooms, or restaurants, etc...  I never witnessed any folks neglected public services solely due to the color of their skin.  Those horrendous things obviously happened , and I've heard some terrible personal stories about those times.  Even if those weren't happening readily, the mindset of some of the older, ignorant individuals still persisted.  I may never have met a Klan member, but I came across some real doozies back in the day. Some were even extended family.  The good thing is that, even though the media might paint a different picture currently, those types are now very few and far between. I surprisingly came across an idiot last year that reminded me of that level of stupidity, but thankfully that has been an increasingly rare event over the last 20+ years.  

I agree things have taken considerably longer than hoped, and they are still a long ways away from being where they should have been all along. Looking at my Grandfather's/Father's generations, through my own and now to my kids', I can't see any real resemblance...and (in this particular aspect) that's a good thing.  Of course, in many other different ways, the lack of resemblance to the older generations worries me greatly.  ;)

On 7/7/2020 at 3:19 PM, cole256 said:

Note: This is my life experience and not based in rote fact etc. I am not quoting an article etc...

Truist statement made on racial relations ever made. Desegregation made immense difference for those of us that went thru it and definitively accelerated the process for our culture as a whole. But truth is, some of us were more or less brainwashed on this crap when younger. In my experience with my white brethren I have seen a very noticeable difference in those of us that went thru desegregation in elementary versus middle school and high school. The elementary aged children seemed to adjust much quicker, and for differing reasons. Those of my acquaintance that went thru desegregation in middle school and later had much less life changing experience. To me, in my circle of friends, if you were born 1960 or later, the desegregation process was cleaner and more profound. 1960 and earlier, much less so.

So, when you say "things will be right one day, it just that many have to die and be replaced," I totally agree. The 1960 and earlier crowd are now 60 or older, and they are dying out. But as I work in high school competitions, I see a very disheartening event across the nation. The rise of private education. This has become the new segregation. The worst of our culture now segregate by $$$. It is a cultural truth that by and large the Black Community has less wealth overall than the White, Latino, and Asian Communities. This has lead to a strange Non-Black subculture in Private Schools. In some schools we competed against, it was profound seeing the mixing of all but Black Children. Some were mixed, some were, very regrettably, just frickin lily white. My fear is that we have moved over time from defeating overt racism, to defeating systemic racism (the actions of today), to soon having to confront "second tier" racism (my poorly chosen term for it) of the possibly unintentional outcomes of the failure of public schools to make good decisions and enforce sound policy.  These reasons are given for the rise in Private Education by many. 

I cannot speak for the private school kids and parents, but my gut reaction and instincts tell me firmly that these kids are in the private schools for one of three reasons:
1) better education
2) to isolate their kids from...Black Culture and Black Youth
3) (some may find this to be hard to believe, but it is true) That there are a large number of kids that have been kicked out of every other public school system available and by default end up in private schools. As someone that has worked with youth, this is a fact of life.  

Having addressed this ugly topic, now let me make it a quantum level more volatile. Add in "Religion" to the Private School mix and I find that the "isolate their kids from...Black Culture and Black Youth" may go as high as 80+%. Remember I said that Private School was Segregation by $$$? Well "Religious-Private School" is "Segregation by $$$ and By Cultural Norms" for lack of a better term. 

This kind of Racism is the next layer that will have to be addressed and it will have a lot of push back because those sending their kids to private schools are Upper Middle-Class and Wealthier White Folks, who are more often Self-Identified-Liberals. The error here is that in selecting Private or Religious-Private Schools for their kids, they perpetuating the worst of a dying cultural. A few may have good intentions, my experience is that most are subconsciously pushing back against the cultural norming of inter-racial life. 

I could do another 30 minutes on why i believe that cultural intermingling is the best for the nation. But its for another day...

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Note: This is my life experience and not based in rote fact etc. I am not quoting an article etc...

Truist statement made on racial relations ever made. Desegregation made immense difference for those of us that went thru it and definitively accelerated the process for our culture as a whole. But truth is, some of us were more or less brainwashed on this crap when younger. In my experience with my white brethren I have seen a very noticeable difference in those of us that went thru desegregation in elementary versus middle school and high school. The elementary aged children seemed to adjust much quicker, and for differing reasons. Those of my acquaintance that went thru desegregation in middle school and later had much less life changing experience. To me, in my circle of friends, if you were born 1960 or later, the desegregation process was cleaner and more profound. 1960 and earlier, much less so.

So, when you say "things will be right one day, it just that many have to die and be replaced," I totally agree. The 1960 and earlier crowd are now 60 or older, and they are dying out. But as I work in high school competitions, I see a very disheartening event across the nation. The rise of private education. This has become the new segregation. The worst of our culture now segregate by $$$. It is a cultural truth that by and large the Black Community has less wealth overall than the White, Latino, and Asian Communities. This has lead to a strange Non-Black subculture in Private Schools. In some schools we competed against, it was profound seeing the mixing of all but Black Children. Some were mixed, some were, very regrettably, just frickin lily white. My fear is that we have moved over time from defeating overt racism, to defeating systemic racism (the actions of today), to soon having to confront "second tier" racism (my poorly chosen term for it) of the possibly unintentional outcomes of the failure of public schools to make good decisions and enforce sound policy.  These reasons are given for the rise in Private Education by many. 

I cannot speak for the private school kids and parents, but my gut reaction and instincts tell me firmly that these kids are in the private schools for one of three reasons:
1) better education
2) to isolate their kids from...Black Culture and Black Youth
3) (some may find this to be hard to believe, but it is true) That there are a large number of kids that have been kicked out of every other public school system available and by default end up in private schools. As someone that has worked with youth, this is a fact of life.  

Having addressed this ugly topic, now let me make it a quantum level more volatile. Add in "Religion" to the Private School mix and I find that the "isolate their kids from...Black Culture and Black Youth" may go as high as 80+%. Remember I said that Private School was Segregation by $$$? Well "Religious-Private School" is "Segregation by $$$ and By Cultural Norms" for lack of a better term. 

This kind of Racism is the next layer that will have to be addressed and it will have a lot of push back because those sending their kids to private schools are Upper Middle-Class and Wealthier White Folks, who are more often Self-Identified-Liberals. The error here is that in selecting Private or Religious-Private Schools for their kids, they perpetuating the worst of a dying cultural. A few may have good intentions, my experience is that most are subconsciously pushing back against the cultural norming of inter-racial life. 

I could do another 30 minutes on why i believe that cultural intermingling is the best for the nation. But its for another day...

Are you for or against school choice? 

Where I live the churches are even more segregated by race (by choice- as everyone is free to worship where they so desire) than the private schools. 

2 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Are you for or against school choice? 

Where I live the churches are even more segregated by race (by choice- as everyone is free to worship where they so desire) than the private schools. 

If it is to improve the academics, yes. Unfortunately, there are other reasons being used here too.

I live in an area with a ton of high end private schools. However, we also have the luxury of a really good public school system.  

My wife and I both attended public schools exclusively growing up. Perhaps they weren't up to the academic quality of some of the private schools in the area, but it didn't hold either of us back in that regards.  We believed having our kids learn in a diverse school environment was important and was indeed a factor in our choice of school zone. In our area, I just don't see the cost benefit of private schools, even if they are more targeted for college prep.

In areas where the public school's academics are very poor, or the schools have documented drug or violence issues,  we might consider private education...or move into a different zone if possible. 

Archived